• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To mylar or not to mylar...

111 posts in this topic

Buy Mylite2s, put your book in the mylite 2 with a fullback. Then get another of the net highest size and place it in that with another fullback. You'll have to try hard to damage it. I started doing this recently with my higher grade stuff and it's great. The only problem is when you get to the big GA books. Of course, I don't have any of those in HG, so it's not a big deal, but at that point I'd probably go with mag size or something similar.

Open top mylars absolutely suck. I don't understand why anyone uses them, the potential for damage is just too great. They stink for mailing too. I have recieved several books in open tops where the comic shifted during shipping and got stuck in the tape securing the mylar. Plus they cut up your fingers when flipping through boxes.

Fullbacks and M2s are the way to go.

I know, here we go again....

I can't for the freaking life of me get my Mylite 2's to stay closed. I creased, I use pricing dots, etc. They always are fatter at the top and the pressure opend the bags.

Please anyone, serious answer how to fix this.

Open top mylars absolutely suck. I don't understand why anyone uses them, the potential for damage is just too great. They stink for mailing too. I have recieved several books in open tops where the comic shifted during shipping and got stuck in the tape securing the mylar. Plus they cut up your fingers when flipping through boxes.

Fullbacks and M2s are the way to go.

My sentiments exactly. :applause:

Dealers may prefer them since it's easier to get a book in and out and also do so without the threat of a tape pull. I hate them, myself. I have a small stack of them leftover from books I bought from dealers, and use them when mailing books to other people... :whistle:

I can't for the freaking life of me get my Mylite 2's to stay closed. I creased, I use pricing dots, etc. They always are fatter at the top and the pressure opend the bags.

Sounds like a case of a sissysnowball fold instead of a forceful crease. Put the bag on a smooth flat surface, fold the flap, then run the edge of your thumbnail or a tool over it and you're done.

Sounds like a case of a sissysnowball fold instead of a forceful crease. Put the bag on a smooth flat surface, fold the flap, then run the edge of your thumbnail or a tool over it and you're done.

(shrug) Yeah I don't get it. I put the book in, fold the flap down snug against the top of the fullback, lay it on the dining room table and crease it with my thumb. It stays creased. If there is still a bit of puffyness in the fold, it will eventually flatten out.

pricing dots only give you a tiny length of stickiness that has to hold back the flap. if you go with something that's longer - like, say, 2" x 3" Post-It-Notes, you don't need to crease the fold at all.

Christmas. Freaking 3M should give me royalties, as much as I pimp those damned things

Dealers may prefer them since it's easier to get a book in and out and also do so without the threat of a tape pull. I hate them, myself. I have a small stack of them leftover from books I bought from dealers, and use them when mailing books to other people... :whistle:

BTW, there were silverfish in my old apartment in Long Island. Some got into the open top mylars. Didn't damage the books but left some nasty dried husks in the bottom of the mylars. :sick:

Books in Mylite2s with the flap were untouched. Not one bug in any of those.

I use mylites and half-backs. Thinking of switching to full-backs.

The thing I like about mylites is they are shiny and make the books look good! And they don't scratch like the larger mylar sleeves. I hate getting a book in a mylar sleeve that's been scraping around in a long box for a long time.