• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Need Help--My computer is infected with spyware

55 posts in this topic

Wow! That's great! Two Mac viruses discovered in 24 years! There's been two PC viruses developed in the two minutes it took me to edit this post. <3

There are a few other things Mac users can't do, which aren't on that page. We really don't reboot our machines because they've been infected with spyware, virus, or other nasty buggies, as our machines can't get that way. Also, we can't waste time and effort trying to load a printer driver, and we most definitely can't take hours upon hours with tech support trying to get our WinDat file to work.

Oh, here's another thing we can't do - we can't take our time to whine about how it takes forever to load iTunes, mainly because it doesn't take a long time on a Mac.

And one last thing we can't do - we can't scream at the machine when we get a "blue screen of death". All we can do is have machines that just work. I guess that's a really bad thing. :foryou:

Wow! That's great! Two Mac viruses discovered in 24 years! There's been two PC viruses developed in the two minutes it took me to edit this post. <3

There are a few other things Mac users can't do, which aren't on that page. We really don't reboot our machines because they've been infected with spyware, virus, or other nasty buggies, as our machines can't get that way. Also, we can't waste time and effort trying to load a printer driver, and we most definitely can't take hours upon hours with tech support trying to get our WinDat file to work.

Oh, here's another thing we can't do - we can't take our time to whine about how it takes forever to load iTunes, mainly because it doesn't take a long time on a Mac.

And one last thing we can't do - we can't scream at the machine when we get a "blue screen of death". All we can do is have machines that just work. I guess that's a really bad thing. :foryou:

a Mac hm

About 6 hours ago, I wanted to throw my computer in the trash...

a Mac hm

About 6 hours ago, I wanted to throw my computer in the trash...

Less than 10 years ago, Apple was on the verge of going out of business.

It's now switched to a primarily UNIX based operating system after abandoning its old system. (Using the UNIX core known as Darwin)

Macs didn't win. UNIX did. :grin:

The latest Mac notebook requires that you take it back to an Apple Genius at one of its stores to switch out a battery.

I've never had a problem with spyware or virii or any of that nonsense. 99% of all those sort of problems can be avoided pretty easily, with a minimum of software.

Mac users love to crow about how great their systems are comparative to PCs, but at the end of the day, almost all problems with any modern system are user-related

I've never had a problem with spyware or virii or any of that nonsense. 99% of all those sort of problems can be avoided pretty easily, with a minimum of software.

Mac users love to crow about how great their systems are comparative to PCs, but at the end of the day, almost all problems with any modern system are user-related

This is soooo true. Gotta stay off of those por* sites! :insane:

Agree with 2 out of 3.

A Firewall will keep Hackers out and potential virii.

Never opening email attachments will not release virii or worms into the system either.

As regards Spyware...this is a different matter.

There is no way of knowing which or whatever website will plant spyware on your PC on the quiet.

Sure you can avoid the obvious commercial sites, and shall we say the more dubious corners of the Internet but it is impossible to avoid spyware altogether.

Don't run spybot for a week, surf the net as usual, and I guarantee there will be spyware planted in your hardrive.

Its no big deal as long as you run your utility software regularly, and keep your PC mean & lean.

2c

ebay.gif

These sound like 1998 era arguments against a PC (except for the spyware). It's been a long time since I got a blue screen on any of my Xp/2003 server boxes. I'm not in the mood to have 1/10 the software titles available, take a huge hit in increased cost and performance hit for games.

To each his own..

That MacCan't website full of it...

"Ever notice how most Mac users are skinny?" Obviously they have never met Donut. :baiting:

That MacCan't website full of it...

"Ever notice how most Mac users are skinny?" Obviously they have never met Donut. :baiting:

Ouch!

:popcorn:

Someone said that most problems are user related and I agree. "Blue screen of death" doesn't happen any more and honestly, I've never seen one.

I've always weighted it as a cost factor and a productivity factor too.

Macs are expensive and, for the stuff that I have to do on a computer... I can't do on a Mac. (shrug)

But honestly, that's like Lichtenstein bragging that no one has tried to take them over. Sure they have everything that other European countries have... established government, infrastructure, transprotation... but in the end it's still just Lichtenstein. It's hardly worth the effort.

If you're a hacker you are out to cause as much chaos as possibly. Why waste your time targeting such a tiny market share?

QFT

Mac = PC for dummies.