• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

National Lampoons, Warrens and Comics Journals

44 posts in this topic

I don't own any Skywalds but I did pick a few up off the stands when I was a kid. On the plus side they had covers by Jeff Jones and Boris Vallejo. Dennis Fujitake, a very talented fan, had his first work published by Skywald. Dave Sim, who was probably only 17, had his first -script published by Skywald. Those are the only good things I can remember. I think Sol Brodsky and a guy name Waldman wanted to make some money doing what Jim Warren was doing. The magazine was never that good and after a while it wasn't even interesting. But I suppose they have some collectibility for Warren fans in the same way that a Mad Magazine fan might start collecting Cracked.

Don't forget that Bill Everett graced some of the early Skywald issues with stories and pin-ups! John Byrne's professional debut, and Pablo Marcos also drew some killers stories as well. Skywalds were great books with a different take on horror stories than Warrens. Skywald took a more psychological approach to horror, ie. getting into the mind of a lunatic/killer. They also had some interesting ongoing storylines with The Victims, Human Gargoyles, and Nosferatu.

52326-Nightmare2Pinup.jpg.294b8beb2160136b32116059ff473cdb.jpg

Thanks for your take on Skywald, Jayman. I don't remember them the way you do but I really don't remember many of the details at all. Maybe I never gave them a chance. The Everett page is a stunner, I think the nicest page I have EVER seen by him.

Just so you know, Ninanina bought all my National Lampoons from me at deep discount prices. I took your suggestions and put all my Comics Journals up on the TCJ message board for $150 for 76 of them. The note has been up since Saturday and I have not had a response let alone a taker. I thought they might move because they are older and would complement a more current collection. I will wait a little longer then put them up on ebay for $.99 and see what happens.

Ron