• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Hated OMD, but loves BND in ASM?

153 posts in this topic

If ditko came back maybe those elitist silver age collectors be wouldn't come back. But many high profile talent would die to work with him and that alone would be enough to drive up sales. Just ask neil gaiman. The guy jump at a chance to work with him.

If some new artist emulated Ditko's style today they would be savaged by the current readership. Ditko's style worked for the timeframe he drew in but the comic artform, and fan's expectations, have matured.

If you think some guy's art is harkening back to Ditko that's not really high praise in today's market. When talking about the current readership, who covet the Lees and Hitchs, most would take your comment as a warning to avoid the title...

Jim

As someone who constantly lumps all moderns into negative stereotypes and finds no redeeming value in their stories, your opinion on the subject means nothing to me.

If you actually read the book in question you'd understand what I mean by the art being Ditko-esque.

Can Somebody tell me if the spiderman in current New Avengers is the same as Spiderman in Amazing Spiderman? Or are they different storylines now?

Thanks....I hope someone can let me know.

As someone who constantly lumps all moderns into negative stereotypes and finds no redeeming value in their stories, your opinion on the subject means nothing to me.

meh I guess you missed my praise for Secret Invasion #1...

If you actually read the book in question you'd understand what I mean by the art being Ditko-esque.

I'm not surprised you're missing the point. Comparing a guy's art in today's comics to Ditko is less than high praise considering how the artform has evolved. Fanboys don't want to see Ditko, they want to see the next Lee. You might as well compare it to Heck, Tuska, or Colan...the fanboys will give it the same zzz ...

Jim

What's up with all the Ditko hating in this thread!?

Comparing a guy's art in today's comics to Ditko is less than high praise considering how the artform has evolved. Fanboys don't want to see Ditko, they want to see the next Lee. You might as well compare it to Heck, Tuska, or Colan...the fanboys will give it the same zzz ...

I'd much rather see Ditkoesque art than another in an endless line of wannabe Jim Lees. Yeah, that style may be the most popular with the fanboys but don't you think it's possible that there are some people who appreciate Ditko? One good thing about this rotating creative team approach to ASM is that it allows for the occasional oddball art choice like this. What if a reader doesn't like it? Wait a few weeks and it's back to the more modern look.

I don't read Spidey but will give this book a look the next time I run by the LCS just because of the Ditko comparison. Thanks for the tip Deamentia.

-Bob

Annihilus is with deamentia (kind of). Though this current art can be compared to Ditko, it's got a modern enough flair to not be retro. He's not the first artist to emulate Ditko either, Ron Frenz's run in the mid-200's was Ditko-ish, and his stuff was great IMO.

So far these stories are pretty good....let's see how they evolve though. They did a pretty cruddy thing with OMD, but now that it's done hopefully they can make the best of a bad situation.

Pretty sure it's the same Spidey that is in New Avengers...pretty sure they ret-conned his story there too. He was eating Fruit Loops with Wolverine in the New Avengers kitchen at the beginning of one of the recent issues and only had his mask half off to eat.

Is Lee really still considered 'hot stuff'?

They said the whole thing with Spidey on the Avengers would be addressed (eventually). So we'll see what happens.

Marcos Martin's stuff, as Dan Slott put it, is if "Tim Sale and Steve Ditko" had a child, which I think is spot on.

Jim Lee is still the hot stuff, but I have no desire to ever see him draw a Spidey book.

meh I guess you missed my praise for Secret Invasion #1...

I did ;)

I'm not surprised you're missing the point. Comparing a guy's art in today's comics to Ditko is less than high praise considering how the artform has evolved. Fanboys don't want to see Ditko, they want to see the next Lee. You might as well compare it to Heck, Tuska, or Colan...the fanboys will give it the same zzz ...

I disagree. This isn't the 90s. I think there's room for both styles.

These numbers have to have Marvel rethinking the wisdom of OMD. The title is in freefall and even Secret Invasion isn't helping...

127,958 - Amazing Spider-Man #546

101,213 - Amazing Spider-Man #547

97,959 - Amazing Spider-Man #548

101,112 - Amazing Spider-Man #549

90,874 - Amazing Spider-Man #550

88,084 - Amazing Spider-Man #551

89,835 - Amazing Spider-Man #552

82,648 - Amazing Spider-Man #553

81,072 - Amazing Spider-Man #554

86,902 - Amazing Spider-Man #555

78,458 - Amazing Spider-Man #556

77,057 - Amazing Spider-Man #557

Jim

First, I apologize if I'm misinterpreting the data here (I AM an English guy and not a math whiz), but if Marvel is publishing ASM 3x month versus 1x a month... it appears as though the ASM title has actually doubled its readership. I do realize, however, this move was done at the expense of canceling two (?) other titles thereby undercutting ASMs monthly readership. However, I would assume (danger Will Robinson, danger!) this would streamline their operation by focusing on one title versus three. Again, I very well could be misinterpreting the information or oversimplifying it.

Second, Shame on you Kimik. Always with bringing out that blasted image. (tsk) You know that no one considers that anything more than a "What If" story arc.

Third, Ditko. Whether it was for breaking culturally historic ground or have a real appreciation for his artistic style, you have got to give respect to the Man (I fall on the side of both opinions). While I don't come down on the hardline of "There are only 38 issues of Spider-Man," I do find some of his work to be the best hands down. And yes, I'm going to pull the age-old example of ASM 31-34 (I think most use 32-34, but I always loved 31 with that arc). You don't get much better examples of the artist AS storyteller than this (in my opinion). Jason, with regards to other artists attempting a Ditko-esque style, very few times do I find I enjoy their art. Steve was just so... distinct that any followers just don't cut it. When I'm in the mood for Ditko, give me Ditko.

That said, if Steve were to come back to pencil ANYTHING related to Spider-Man, you better belive I'd be buying--JoeQ at the helm or not. But that's just not an option, so ... :sorry:

These numbers have to have Marvel rethinking the wisdom of OMD. The title is in freefall and even Secret Invasion isn't helping...

Jim

First, I apologize if I'm misinterpreting the data here (I AM an English guy and not a math whiz), but if Marvel is publishing ASM 3x month versus 1x a month... it appears as though the ASM title has actually doubled its readership. I do realize, however, this move was done at the expense of canceling two (?) other titles thereby undercutting ASMs monthly readership. However, I would assume (danger Will Robinson, danger!) this would streamline their operation by focusing on one title versus three. Again, I very well could be misinterpreting the information or oversimplifying it.

What were the numbers before, during and after the "Sins of the Past" storyline? I am interested in seeing if it stirred more reader interest than OMD and BND! lol

Second, Shame on you Kimik. Always with bringing out that blasted image. (tsk) You know that no one considers that anything more than a "What If" story arc.

Now it is a "what if", but what happens when Petey gets his memory back - can we see him scream like a school girl again just like he did when he was thinking about Gwen and the Goblin (I will post the entire page later! lol ) ?

Here you go, the single best page in modern ASM history! lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

ASM512BestPageEver.jpg

Forrest your statement regarding asm numbers is correct. Its actually selling better now that it has two less titles to compete with. Its numbers are naturally dropping as initial hype wears down. Its settling in and stabilizing itself which is what all titles tend to do.

Jim

Well, sorta. What Marvel is doing is capitalizing on you Zombies buying the title no matter how many times they put it out each month. If it was a monthly title my guess is the numbers would still be the same. In which case, those numbers are not good. Fortunately for Joey Q and the gang, you suckers will still keep buying to keep your runs together even when they print 3 times a month lol

Forrest your statement regarding asm numbers is correct. Its actually selling better now that it has two less titles to compete with. Its numbers are naturally dropping as initial hype wears down. Its settling in and stabilizing itself which is what all titles tend to do.

The difference is it's now selling to the same shrinking pool of collectors. Marvel is pulling more money from the same fans three times a month instead of a broader range (though I'm sure some but not all by any stretch were the same) over three titles.

Very dicey problem as fans will bail quicker on spending $12 a month vs. $4 if the series doesn't deliver to their expectations...

Essentially, Marvel has found a way to suck more money from the diehards...

Jim

Well, sorta. What Marvel is doing is capitalizing on you Zombies buying the title no matter how many times they put it out each month. If it was a monthly title my guess is the numbers would still be the same. In which case, those numbers are not good. Fortunately for Joey Q and the gang, you suckers will still keep buying to keep your runs together even when they print 3 times a month lol

:gossip: Hey Drice, I know we don't really know each other, but you ought to be more careful about making assumptions about peoples' collecting habits as I am almost exclusively an SA-CA collector as others here know. Additionally, I have probably purchased less than 15 comics off the newstand in the past two + years I've been (back) in the hobby and most of those were DC ;) .

Just saying, shooting from the hip often results in inaccurate shooting ;)

The difference is it's now selling to the same shrinking pool of collectors. Marvel is pulling more money from the same fans three times a month instead of a broader range (though I'm sure some but not all by any stretch were the same) over three titles.

Very dicey problem as fans will bail quicker on spending $12 a month vs. $4 if the series doesn't deliver to their expectations...

Essentially, Marvel has found a way to suck more money from the diehards...

Jim

I agree. I wonder how many people who ONLY bought the other books have dropped Spidey from their files (although it probably would not matter as ASM is the king of Spidey books lol). Look at the numbers. Even with three books per month the sales #s should be increasing if more people are picking up the title, not dropping as they are. This does not bode well for Marvel's flagship character. I loved Joe Q's artwork on Ninjak for Valiant, but he truly sucks as an editor in chief. lol

:gossip: Hey Drice, I know we don't really know each other, but you ought to be more careful about making assumptions about peoples' collecting habits as I am almost exclusively an SA-CA collector as others here know. Additionally, I have probably purchased less than 15 comics off the newstand in the past two + years I've been (back) in the hobby and most of those were DC ;) .

Just saying, shooting from the hip often results in inaccurate shooting ;)

Hey Mac Man - no prob, sorry if it seems I was targeting you :) I quoted your post, but it is really aimed at Modern Spidey collectors/readers. (thumbs u

Thanks for answering my spidey question! So they are keeping spidey the same all around........I suppose he does not remember any of civil war either.

I wonder if spiderman knows that Steve Rogers is dead?

How is it possible for Marvel Comics to get a new editor in chief?

I also feel that the numbers reflect Marvel making more money off of diehards, but I will also admit that it was annoying with the 4 different spiderman titles. I am glad they only have one. Maybee I will read it again when JRJR starts his run.

Do you guys like it when a series keeps the same artist and writer for at least a little bit so that the story makes sense and seems fluent? To me it would be annoying (like iron fist at the end) when the artist or writer changes out as often as it does on ASM now....you just don't get a feel of the book.

Oh one other thing I am getting off my chest........Did anybody see how they changed the feedback system on ebay?! Now sellers cant leave negative feedback anymore......that is .

Anyways Just tossing a few things out there.