• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Any live or work near 144 Rush Street in Chicago?

19 posts in this topic

Drinking and walking don't mix :baiting:

Drinking and having my girlfriend accosted by a drunk 6' 4" dude with two equally proportioned friends didn't have anything to do with it either.

:angel::angel:

I have, but it seems to bring me to Giordano's. Probably good pizza, but it's in the 700 block, and I need 144. It's also possible that the address doesn't exist anymore. My Great-great-great-grandfather was a judge with a big family. I assume it was a house or brownstone at that location at the time.

Have you tried Google Earth?

OMG, Just checked it out. That new (is it new, I don't know) feature that lets you actually look down the street is unbelieveable. Did anyone know about that?

WOW!!

BTW, I think Rush and Superior is the intersection where I had my episode.

:pullhair:

Doing some family history and I'm curious what's at that address these days. In 1860, one branch of my family lived at that address.

Thanks to anyone that can help, and sorry for the OT post.

Today Rush Street begins north of the Chicago River...approximately 400 North.

So if the address was indeed 144 Rush Street..it doesn't exist anymore.

This happened in 1871

Chicago-Fire,-1871.jpg

and it rearranged much of the streets and their locations in chicago..

which is why we have such wide streets as compared to some east coast cities that did not have a fire to force their reconstruction.

If you can get me some more detail on the address I can try to track it down for you.

Chris

Drinking and walking don't mix :baiting:

Drinking and having my girlfriend accosted by a drunk 6' 4" dude with two equally proportioned friends didn't have anything to do with it either.

:angel::angel:

you crazy canucks and your love for duking it out...

I love it but you have to watchout

cowardly thugs in this country love packing heat.

No reason to back down, but plenty of reason to be safe and aware.

(thumbs u

I haven't been in Chicago since last summer when me and some friends hassled this little guy on the street. He kept hiding behind his girlfriend and it was really funny!

Wait, r1970d, what do you look like? (shrug)

Have you tried Google Earth?

OMG, Just checked it out. That new (is it new, I don't know) feature that lets you actually look down the street is unbelieveable. Did anyone know about that?

WOW!!

BTW, I think Rush and Superior is the intersection where I had my episode.

:pullhair:

Fairly new... since mid-2007 or so. My kids liked seeing the places Mrs. Fan and I lived pre-kids out in California.

Nerf, twas not I that was looking for trouble...the guy tried to grab Louise as we walked by. Trust me...the thought of the guy being strapped crossed my mind. Luckily his two friends were a little more respectful.

This is a recent shot of me:

52229-222px-The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png.6b56389cde9e48bf3b641eabef003580.png

Doing some family history and I'm curious what's at that address these days. In 1860, one branch of my family lived at that address.

Today Rush Street begins north of the Chicago River...approximately 400 North.

So if the address was indeed 144 Rush Street..it doesn't exist anymore.

This happened in 1871

Chicago-Fire,-1871.jpg

and it rearranged much of the streets and their locations in chicago..

which is why we have such wide streets as compared to some east coast cities that did not have a fire to force their reconstruction.

If you can get me some more detail on the address I can try to track it down for you.

Chris

Well, heck, that's an excellent answer. (thumbs u

I'll see if I can figure out where 144 was back then.

So is that an actual photo of the fire that's been colorized?

Evert Van Buren?

That's the guy. How did you find my family history site?

He's a pretty interesting guy. He ran against William Seward for the New York State Senate in 1830, when both of them were young men. Seward won, but not by much, and went on to quite a political career. Evert Van Buren was a lawyer, then a judge, and was very active in the Democratic party from 1830 until his death in 1885.

someone wasn't kidding about google street maps. These are awesome! 360 degree views on street level.

2wp82mc.jpg

Looks like N. Rush street ends at about 500, near the waterway.

There may have been a south rush street that was renamed on the other side of the waterway. There is a van buren street on that side. Maybe the old rush street became north/south michigan? As they cross van buren street.

Could be after this bridge broke?

http://www.chipublib.org/004chicago/disasters/rushbridge_collapse.html

You gotta check out google. It's like you are there.

someone wasn't kidding about google street maps. These are awesome! 360 degree views on street level.

2wp82mc.jpg

Looks like N. Rush street ends at about 500, near the waterway.

There may have been a south rush street that was renamed on the other side of the waterway. There is a van buren street on that side. Maybe the old rush street became north/south michigan? As they cross van buren street.

Could be after this bridge broke?

http://www.chipublib.org/004chicago/disasters/rushbridge_collapse.html

You gotta check out google. It's like you are there.

will do.