• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Real art or stat?

23 posts in this topic

When I first joined up I posted a picture of some arcade machine artwork I recently purchased in my huge videogame artwork find. Some to the machine Spiderman and some for Captain America and the Avengers. There was at least one here who posted that the art might be stat. To me it looks legit but I'm just a rookie.

It almost wouldn't matter. Most of the art never survived the trip to me. There was a train wreck and the boxes were discarded by UPS. This is the only piece from those 2 games which happened to be in another shipment.

Most of the art I bought were paintings so those are easy for even a novice to figure out but the black and white is a bit tricky.

This one is done on a glossy paper and to me appears to be done with a sharpie or other type of magic marker. I took a few closeups as well. Can anyone tell me how to know for sure if its OA or stat?

This one measures 8X26

MVC-005S-28.jpg

MVC-006S-27.jpg

MVC-008S-28.jpg

MVC-011S-23.jpg

MVC-010S-22.jpg

MVC-009S-26.jpg

It's always hard to tell unless you see the real thing.

I mean, if you photocopy art, you still see the brush strokes and stuff.

But since you have the original, is it one sheet or is another sheet glued on top of it? A stat is basically a photocopy, so hopefully you can tell the difference between a photocopy and a real drawing.

Malvin

Its one sheet. Its a thick glossy posterboard.

Also has some horizontal blue lines under the drawing are those not supposed to copy? Hard to see in the pics one goes thru the bottom of spidermans foot.

Sounds like its Original

If it was stat there would be no blue lines and/or there would be a another peice of paper pasted on top

Do stats on OA affect the value?

There are always exceptions but not in this case.

A stat is a photocopy. Therefore, if your OA has stats, then portions of it is no longer OA, that would severely affect the value since original art collectors do not pay for photocopies!

Malvin

Do stats on OA affect the value?

There are always exceptions but not in this case.

A stat is a photocopy. Therefore, if your OA has stats, then portions of it is no longer OA, that would severely affect the value since original art collectors do not pay for photocopies!

Malvin

There are no stats on it. I know that for sure. Its either 100% stat or 100% real and I really think its real. When I first posted a picture before I recieved it some here said they looked like stats.

The train wreck was devestating. Some gret pieces were lost. In all I think it was 20+ lbs of art which was alot as it was all paper. The prices I paid were so cheap. Argg it was terrible.

UPS wouldn't even talk to me as I was not the customer. So I had the seller call and they wouldn't talk to him either as he used a UPS store to ship it so he had to have the store call. It was insured so no one other than me cared to pursue it and alone I could do nothing.

Look on the back of the art. Is there any Kodak, or other Graphic Art

logo there? Any lines on the back? If so, then it is a Stat, that has been

reworked, and gone over with ink, and marker.

Back is blank.

err wait a second.

I did just notice something I never did before. On the back there are some yellow marks. Is this the affect you might get from heavy ink on the front?

MVC-015S-21.jpg

MVC-014S-24.jpg

Back is blank.

err wait a second.

I did just notice something I never did before. On the back there are some yellow marks. Is this the affect you might get from heavy ink on the front?

MVC-015S-21.jpg

MVC-014S-24.jpg

Hmm. Now I'm confused. Not sure if that is a logo on the back or not: I can't remember

if that came from a graphics company or not (it's been awhile). I can't imagine it being a

transfer stain of any kind.

I just looked a stat I made many years ago, so do this - feel the weight of the paper (paper thickness) it should be about the same thickness as a modern comic book cover, and very smooth

on the top, and slightly rough on the back. I don't have any logo on the back of my stat (some

do) if it is a stat, you will be able to see right through the back.

Michael Bair has a stat that has been reworked on his CAF gallery.

Back is blank.

err wait a second.

MVC-015S-21.jpg

MVC-014S-24.jpg

That looks like Sharpie bleed to me. I've see it go through some really thick paper.

Back is blank.

err wait a second.

MVC-015S-21.jpg

MVC-014S-24.jpg

That looks like Sharpie bleed to me. I've see it go through some really thick paper.

It does appear to be some type of bleed and does follow the spiderweb patter from the front.

Looks to me like 100% stat with heavy reinking.

Why would you say that? What are your reasons?

I'm not saying its not stat but it looks 100% real to me so I want to know if it is a stat what I need to look for.

If you don't see any paste-ups on it I think it's 100% original. The inking technique is fairly common... broad lines are made with a Sharpie and the details/fine lines are done in another type of ink, maybe a brush pen...

MVC-008S-28.jpg

The black area fill is done in similar manner... the outline is done with Sharpie (that's the lighter areas) and the main areas are filled with a brush (that's the darker areas...

MVC-005S-28.jpg

Looking at the back indicates to me this is exactly what was done. The artist made the webbing by drawing the black with a Sharpie about 1/2" wide then did the fill with a brush. That yellowing on the back is a tell-tale sign of this.

MVC-015S-21.jpg

you know, we should really ask mr c. about the process on the arcade work back then, it would probably shed some light. The vigilante pieces we have suggests the stats were used as a guide for the painted arcade stuff.... this could have been a similar process... stat the original b&w, ink it with marker, maybe even stat it again for color.

The part that bugs me about this is it seems like its *all* marker? Seems to me that the figures should at least have been done with fine tip pen ink or brush. Just seems strange that the artist would go straight to marker unless it was just for infilling the blacks... maybe that's all this part of the process was. Start with stat figures and infill blacks with marker. But what I do know. We should ask C.

EDIT: having read stronguy's post, I guess that's the magic question. How original does the work on the figures look? With what do those lines appear to have been made?

Looks like the art was done in marker on one of those cheap poster boards you can get for the kids school projects. The smooth surface on the poster board would create that type of streaky effect with a black marker, getting more & more grey as you continue to fill the board. It then looks like it may have been painted with a black ink or paint to darken the black areas. I originally thought it looked like a stat because of the "shine" of the paper, but upon further review, it looks like the cheap poster board ( that would account for the bleed through also).

Mark