• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the highest price ever paid for a Marvel poster?

27 posts in this topic

Yes, it is pretty rare. I vaguely remember one for sale on ebay that went for nearly $1000 about 5 years ago.

And unless its beat up, the Giant Ditko Spidey has never sold for less than $1000. At least none that I have ever seen.

Is this the highest price ever paid for a Marvel poster?

This question to the seller could offer some insight into the price as well:

Question: my poster is in great condition, some light wear around the edges, but mine does not have the white border - do you know why yours does and mine does not? thanks, John

Answer: Hi, John, I don't have an answer to your question, unfortunately, but I can make an educated guess. This is the only one of these posters I have owned so don't have any point of comparison. Mine has some small circles printed on the border, which may mean it's a printing proof, which may also account for the very thick stock the poster is printed on - a stock that is far thicker than the other TE posters I have owned and feels to be about 80-pound paper stock. So you may look at your poster to see if it has the printer alignment circles and the extra thick stock to see if you have a store display poster or a possible printer's proof version, which is what I suspect mine may be. Hope this helps. - Joe

I know the Steve Ditko giant Spider-Man posters sometimes go for a few hundred dollars, but this is completely insane:

A very expensive Marvel Blacklight Poster

:o

I bought the Spidey (Thwippp!!) poster at Six Flags in Arlington Texas in the 60s for $1.49.

What fond memories!! Thanks for sharing this!

52528-blight.jpg.dda8116dc5d1cd01dd688eab80a8e2ff.jpg

mr donut,

if i had known about you betcha i would have been there on it also.

doubt i woul dhave gone that high..maybe i should sort all my stuff and trade the dups. i buy and put it in the catacombs..i may have doubles of stuff. i know i have a couple dups of the black light puzzles.

that is a cool poster tho.

That's one very nice poster.

I sactually ee no reason why a poster that's far more difficult to find than nearly any comic book from that era should not fetch an even higher price than these comic books. In the final analysis, they're all coloured pieces of paper, that's all.

My question is: who was buying the Thor/Sif kissing poster? Was Norse Romance a big seller back in the day?

Probably a take-off of the whole Roy Lichtenstein pop art sensibility thingie.

That's probably the answer bang on. Good call.

Third Eye products are super cool.

I have the Surfer & Medusa posters framed, side-by-side, as a kinda his & hers for my wife & I.

I have many of the postcards with envelopes & had a chance once to buy the whole set at a show for around $100. When I went back to the dealer on the last day he had sold it. He also had an unopened puzzle but I'm not so into it.

My favorite are the Dr Strange posters.

I've seen these posters go from $50 to $250 dollars on eBay.

I had in my mind $500 as top dollar for this one.

This is the first time I've ever seen it for sale, shows or eBay. I've been looking for 15 years, but not closely enough...

Great thread. Thanks. A real pleasure.

PS I know of at least one person, a dealer who posts on the boards, who has told me he has the whole set as part of his personal stuff. I don't know, can't recall, if he has this one...

PSS I've never seen this one before in person.

The amazing thing is, if you look at the seller's buying history, he bought this item less than two months ago for less than $375. I was an underbidder, so I followed it closely. I have seen 2 or 3 others in eBay in the past 5 years or so. Well described, truly rare item from a seller with an important-sounding eBay name = big profit. Good work!