• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital Painting

23 posts in this topic

Being a natural artist and through the years of working in Photoshop, I tought myself how to do digital painting.

I started doing it years before computer coloring was mainstream in comics.

Anyways...

I found my avitar in an eBay auction and decided to color it.

I've not done any digital painting in a year or so, so I thought I'd try again with something easy.

Here are the results...

Before

grpencil.jpg

And after

grcolor.jpg

I thought I might do a few pics and take a portfolio to Dallas to see if I can pick up some cover work.

I've inked a few indies but I would love to start coloring covers.

If anyone has a high res scan of black and white art, I would appreciate it if you could send them to me so I can try to add it to my portfolio.

Remember, I'm looking for cover type pictures or pinups. No sequentials.

Nice Dice!!thumbsup2.gif... mostly with the Airbrush tool?.. using a stylus?

You got it.

A whole new world opened up when I bought a Wacom.

I really love the silver(?) teeth.

Classy touch... thumbsup2.gif

It was an accident that worked.

I started playing with different looks because he needed something contrasting on the skull.

I tried to make them look like chrome and it was an obvious choice.

nice work Dice. The teeth are really sharp and detailed.

However, as exciting as comics cover work may be, it dont pay much!

I know that. But it would be extra money for comics.

Not to mention the pride of being the person that did a cover.

Nice Dice!!thumbsup2.gif... mostly with the Airbrush tool?.. using a stylus?

You got it.

A whole new world opened up when I bought a Wacom.

I've been considering a Wacom to use with my online comic art (www.weirdkidcomic.com). What do you like about it most? Anything you dislike about it? And do you find it's better for creating the the original drawing, or just for adding photoshop effects to a scanned line drawing? Or either?

Thanks!

I've been considering a Wacom to use with my online comic art (www.weirdkidcomic.com). What do you like about it most? Anything you dislike about it? And do you find it's better for creating the the original drawing, or just for adding photoshop effects to a scanned line drawing? Or either?

Thanks!

For your first pad, I recommend a Wacom Graphire2.

You can get them on eBay for around $65.

Link

It comes with a mouse, but you can toss that as it's not worth using.

I've tried other brands, but the Wacom is far superior to anything else I've used.

Once you outgrow it, Wacom has larger pads with even greater controll.

One of the main things I like about the stylus is the ability to have pressure sensitivity in Photoshop.

When you touch lightly, it makes a small line. When you press harder, it makes a larger line. It does this on the fly. Look at the signature on my color picture for an example.

You can adjust it to use pressure for color density as well.

Then when you make a mistake, flip the stylus over and use the other end to erase.

The controll you get with a Wacom is unbelievable.

Once you use it for a few hours, you'll never use a mouse again.

The stylus can also be used in place of a mouse in all programs.

I'll often find myself using the stylus for everything and not using the mouse.

All I can say is buy the Graphire2 to give it a try.

You won't regret it.

thumbsup2.gif

Nicely done!

I used a similar technique with a tablet pc, macromedia flash, photoshop, and a few plugins (eye candy and kpt).

The nice thing about using a sylus and a touchscreen is that if you have strong freehand skills, you can control illustrations and colouring techniques with absolute precision. I have also used the stylus to create 3D objects with great speed. If this concept takes off for you, it might be a good idea to pick up either a notebook or a tablet with a portable inkjet.

Is the Tablet PC pressure sensitive?

That's the #1 feature of a Wacom.

BTW, I'm doing some quick touch ups on this pic.

I'll post them in a bit.

The one I posted above is nothing compared to what it looks like now.

The prior post is more of a rough. It's starting to look finished now.

gossip.gif

Is the Tablet PC pressure sensitive?

Absolutely. Works well with paintbrush/airbrush sensitive features (ie. a quick graze across the screen producing a lighter brushtroke, and a slower/impressed movement would give a darker/broader effect to the brush stroke. I've even used a fanbrush (kind used to create beams of sunlight from clouds with acrylic or oil), and a plastic knife for alternative drawing/artistic techniques. The good thing about the tablet screen is that you cannot scratch it!

I've taken vector based illustrations and post produced them in a 3D modelling suite with more rapid workflow, but its also help with nature tools plugins to achieve more realistic backgrounds and animation sequences.