• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I nearly Hal Jordan'd twice last week...

28 posts in this topic

Perhaps this is solely a function of having been left alone too much as a child, but I was wondering if anyone else ever saw something in a comic and then always thought of that character whenever that "something" happened in real life.

My first comic was Justice League of America 110 in which the Justice League is summoned but not everyone can make it. Hal Jordan was in the shower, slipped, and knocked himself out, so John Stewart ended up getting the call (and saving the day).

To this day (nearly 35 years later), every time I nearly slip in the tub I think that I almost "Hal Jordan'd" myself.

Perhaps this is solely a function of having been left alone too much as a child, but I was wondering if anyone else ever saw something in a comic and then always thought of that character whenever that "something" happened in real life.

My first comic was Justice League of America 110 in which the Justice League is summoned but not everyone can make it. Hal Jordan was in the shower, slipped, and knocked himself out, so John Stewart ended up getting the call (and saving the day).

To this day (nearly 35 years later), every time I nearly slip in the tub I think that I almost "Hal Jordan'd" myself.

Fan4......with the temperatures locked in where they are.....I bet most of you Wisconsinites feel like you're doing an Iceman these days. How cold is it there?

Fan4......with the temperatures locked in where they are.....I bet most of you Wisconsinites feel like you're doing an Iceman these days. How cold is it there?

We've only been down to -12 or so... tho' the wind chills have been down to the middle -30's F.

Cold, but not abnormally so (coldest I remember was -30 or so with -70 wind chills on two successive weekends as a kid).

The thing that is really doing a number on the roads is we've had 2 drops of 50 degrees over the course of 24 hours...

That, and numerous minor above freezing/below freezing 20-degree swings are leaving our record winter snowfall (~80 inches) on the ground with intermingled layers of ice... not sure when/if this is going to melt in the spring.

Okay, now I have to hunt down a copy of that book. I have to see that for myself. What a crock of mess! lol

Okay, now I have to hunt down a copy of that book. I have to see that for myself. What a crock of mess! lol

Admittedly having a super hero slip and knock himself out in the shower... lacks for something in the writing skills department hm

I know DC writing has waxed and waned through the ages, I think we'll have to put that particular ish down to a 'wane' period.

Probably why it stuck with me all these years (and why I continue to think of Hal as a complete doofus)...

I'll try and dig out my beat copy and scan in the panel (unless someone beats me to it).

Early 70's in the DC offices....

Editor - Okay boys, we need a dynamite reason for Hal not to show up for the JLA call.

Guy 1 - How about Star Sapphire shows up and....

Editor - Nah, too cliche'

Guy 2 - Ooh ooh, I got it boss. Sinestro comes along and....

Editor - Can't you guys come up with anything new?

Guy 3 - (joking) How about he slips in the shower, hits his head and knocks himself out and John Stewart as to go in his place.

Editor - That's gold Jerry, GOLD! Go with it!

Admittedly having a super hero slip and knock himself out in the shower... lacks for something in the writing skills department hm

I know DC writing has waxed and waned through the ages, I think we'll have to put that particular ish down to a 'wane' period.

I think its kind of funny really its like "real things can happen to them too" type thing :D Whats even more funny is that I don't think any one ever goes to check on hal to see if its ok or whats up :D

Been a while since I have read it though

I think its kind of funny really its like "real things can happen to them too" type thing :D Whats even more funny is that I don't think any one ever goes to check on hal to see if its ok or whats up :D

Been a while since I have read it though

And as I recall, Atom is on vacation... so that's a good enough excuse not to show up, too!

Funny thing is, unless he wore his power ring into the tub, he WAS just an average Joe. lol Even if he did wear it, what if his shower curtain was yellow --- he'd be totally powerless to avoid suffocating in it . . . the lame- plot devices never stop! :banana:

Funny thing is, unless he wore his power ring into the tub, he WAS just an average Joe. lol Even if he did wear it, what if his shower curtain was yellow --- he'd be totally powerless to avoid suffocating in it . . . the lame- plot devices never stop! :banana:

HAHA! Oh man I would not have thought of a yellow shower curtain!!! Dudeeee that is so priceless! if he had his ring on though one would think even with that he could think fast enough so that he would float and not fall

Okay.....

Who here thinks Hal (or any GL for that matter) has ANYTHING yellow in their domicile? Show of hands...anybody?

Now that would be bad writing.

Hey, wouldn't it be funny if Supes "accidentally" sprinkled Kryptonite dust on his corn flakes instead of sugar!

Or if Spider-Man mistook Raid for Binaca?

Or Sue Storm became a sleepwalker and wandered into traffic one night?

Wow, what a blast! meh

C'mon guys, if any of you were a GL---would you EVER take your ring off?

Rick