• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Decade - month by month sampler - The 1960s

592 posts in this topic

Awww!! Variety is the spice of life! :devil:

Here's 12 more spices for the 1960 pot.

Action Comics 261 Feb 1960

action261.jpg

All-Star Western 112 May 1960 Johnny Thunder!

allstarwestern112.jpg

Challengers of the Unknown 14 July 1960

challengers14.jpg

A Date With Judy 74 Jan 1960

judy74.jpg

Many Loves of Dobie Gillis 1 June 1960

dobiegillis1.jpg

The Flash 117 Dec 1960

flash117.jpg

House of Mystery 95 Feb 1960

hom95.jpg

My Greatest Adventure 47 Sept 1960

mygreatestadventure47.jpg

Pat Boone 3 Feb 1960

patboone3.jpg

Sgt. Bilko's Pvt. Doberman 10 Jan 1960

pvtdoberman10.jpg

Strange Adventures 114 Mar 1960

strangeadventures114.jpg

Wonder Woman 115 July 1960

wonderwoman115.jpg

Anyone else before 1960 is closed out? :popcorn:

Welcome, everyone, to the first of two days celebrating DC comics of 1961.

1961 was a year of great covers and some classic tales. Many of the cover color schemes still reflected the 1950s, today, giving books from 1961 a long ago feel.

Highlights from 1961? A matter of opinion. The reintroduction of the GA Flash in Flash #123 stands out, as does the classic "Death of Superman" from Superman #149 and his amazing life story in Superman #146.

1961 saw the LOSH establishing itself through cross-over stories, though amazingly Adventure Comics only gave the Legion one cover. The Legion of Super Villians also made their debut. Bizarro tales were in vogue. We were introduced to the Phantom Zone in Adventure #283.

Other titles, such as Our Army At War, Tomahawk, Adventures of Jerry Lewis, Strange Adventures and Our Fighting Forces, turned out some quality issues, now so hard to find.

The Green Lantern title was becoming established and the Flash run was in the middle of a "golden" Silver Age!

Batman was suffering. Silly covers, silly stories and a tired format meant that some attention was quickly needed for the Caped Crusader and faithful companion. Although that would not happen for some time yet, Batman got on with it, in his Sci-Fi Bat-Mite world. One bright moment was the reintroduction of Clay Face in Detective #298.

Most demand book for the year? Probably Flash #123.

Toughest books of 1961? Many from the more obscure titles. Even some of the Superman books can be difficult. My overall vote goes to G.I. Combat #87. I'm sure this Haunted Tank of a tale had no impact whatsoever back in 1961, but today as a key book it barely exists in decent shape, and has war book collectors wringing their hands in despair!

Let's sample the DC world of 1961, bringing back so many nostalgic memories, even to those who were not actually there!