• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blast from the Past:Action 1 Sells for $1800

22 posts in this topic

I was digging through my garage and came across this old article from 1974. When I first started collecting comics I used to clip out articles about comics. Can you imagine being 19 years old and having $40,000 worth of comics in todays money, let alone 1974 money. shocked.gif

article.jpg

It's always interesting reading old articles about how stupid someone was for paying a few thousand for a silly comic or dumb sportscard back in the 70s.

Now they can sell them for 50-100 grand or half a million.

Really stupid huh...? foreheadslap.gif

Now they can sell them for 50-100 grand or half a million.

Really stupid huh...? foreheadslap.gif

Actually, those kinds of articles actually fueled the late-70's speculation. I used to read them all the time in the mid-70's, clip them, and then try and get my Dad to lay some cash down for some GA and SA comics (like he did for coins and vintage sportscards).

It would start off like... "But old comics are gonna take off, trust me!"

He'd laugh, toss me a $20 and tell me to go buy some then. 893frustrated.gif

Larry Bigman's still around - he's acknowledged in the OS guide as a "Frazetta-Williamson advisor".

I actually convinced my Dad to give me some $$ to "invest" in comic books in the early 80's...I'm sure he was just humoring me, but I think he gave me around $100 to play with. Anyhow, I bought GS X-men 1, X-men 94, DD 158, Teen Titans 1, and Silver Surfer 1. Not a bad mix, and as I still have the original receipts I know when/how much I paid for them! Maybe I'll post 'em later?? I still have the Surfer 1, but slabbed-n-sold the X-men 94 (9.2) and GS X-men 1 (9.4) a few years back. Don't know what happened to the other 2, probably traded 'em away long ago...

Larry Bigman's still around - he's acknowledged in the OS guide as a "Frazetta-Williamson advisor".

He seems to be a huge Williamson fan, as I found some old 70's fanzines he wrote for (in a web search), and these listed Williamson-specific columns.

Nobody's mentioned Larry's cool sideburns yet. tongue.gif

It looked to me that Larry was involved in a serious boating accident to the side of his face.

Either that... or a shark... or an equally rabid comics fan battling him for that Action #1. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Whoah! This jarred my brain (yeah yeah - not too hard!)

Anyway - there was a tv cop show spinof from the last iteration of Dragnet: Adam 12 ("one Adam 12 - One Adam 12 - see the man...") which starred two cops from the last Dragnet series: Officers Reed (Kent McCord) and Malloy (Martin Milner).

There was an episode where a "domestic disturbance" case turned out to be that the wife had thrown the husband's Superman #1 in the fireplace and burned it up! Now Adam 12 ran from 1968-1975. I really don't recall exactly but I BELIEVE the husband said that the Superman #1 was worth either $1,000 or he said it was worth $5,000. I THINK the husband said it was "in mint condition". Would be interesting to see that episode again.

Whoah! This jarred my brain (yeah yeah - not too hard!)

Anyway - there was a tv cop show spinof from the last iteration of Dragnet: Adam 12 ("one Adam 12 - One Adam 12 - see the man...") which starred two cops from the last Dragnet series: Officers Reed (Kent McCord) and Malloy (Martin Milner).

There was an episode where a "domestic disturbance" case turned out to be that the wife had thrown the husband's Superman #1 in the fireplace and burned it up! Now Adam 12 ran from 1968-1975. I really don't recall exactly but I BELIEVE the husband said that the Superman #1 was worth either $1,000 or he said it was worth $5,000. I THINK the husband said it was "in mint condition". Would be interesting to see that episode again.

In my best Chris Rock voice...

"Now I ain't sayin he shoulda killed her...... foreheadslap.gifBut I understand."