• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

journey in mystery 83 9.0

13 posts in this topic

any thoughts as to why cgc down grades so hard for "slight tanning"...as i was told...the back of this book is as perfect as the front.....9.4-9.6 i thought..no spine wear,SHARP CORNERS......any thoughts...is a 9.0 realistic?or re-sub the book???/thanks for the input....

jim90.jpg

Kinda hard to tell with scan size but most collectors I beleive dont like tanning and that very fact would not enable it to grade much higher if at all. I could see 9.2 if book is flawless. Its a reprint tho so why all the fuss? Got a buyer or you just a perfectionist/ completist? Well maybe someone will be more helpful than me. Nice book either way

CGC seems to have more mercy on tanned books from the golden age than silver age.

IMO tanning is something that happens to the book as it ages when not stored in ideal conditions thus the book is no longer newsstand fresh and should not be thought of as near mint or better.

this reprint (they actually indicate it's a reprint 4 times on the label - wow), looks pretty sweet structurally in the smallish scan, but without seeing the actual degree of tanning on the BC it's hard to say whether this would be a harsh grade or not.

I agree that if the book looks as nice as it appears in the scan, and the BC is flawless, that the amount of tanning on the FC wouldn't necessarily seem sufficient to pull the grade down to a 9.0.

still, it's a beauty............. :)

the reprints of that era I think are Amazing Spider-man #1,Fantastic Four#1,Avengers#4,and yours journey into mystery are actually very hard to come by maybe even more so than the originals in that grade or higher.Just be glad that you have one in 9.0,if it was an original I would definately re-subb.this book,because I'm sure this book presents itself very well in hand(scans always enhance tanning).Do you have the record that came with the book?

It's not just the tanning that brings the grade down. Another key is the "Cream to Off-White Pages" designation. This means that the tanning is not just limited to the covers, but that the pages have a cream/tan halo migrating toward a weak off-white color at the center panels. It may also indicate moderate to severe tanning to the interior covers. :grin:

It's not just the tanning that brings the grade down. Another key is the "Cream to Off-White Pages" designation. This means that the tanning is not just limited to the covers, but that the pages have a cream/tan halo migrating toward a weak off-white color at the center panels. It may also indicate moderate to severe tanning to the interior covers. :grin:

(worship)