• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Theft of Rare Books from Transylvania University, NY

15 posts in this topic

This link is to the Northern Illinois University Rare Books and Special Collections Blog. This is a site that I browse once in a while because of an interest in old books in general.

A lot has gone on at Northern Illinois given the tragic shootings this past week. However my point of discussion is far less tragic. "Don't Mess with Special Collections Librarians" has interesting links to a theft of rare books from Transylvania University Library in NY.

Blogspot

It's worth the heavy reading in the second link.

This link is to the Northern Illinois University Rare Books and Special Collections Blog. This is a site that I browse once in a while because of an interest in old books in general.

A lot has gone on at Northern Illinois given the tragic shootings this past week. However my point of discussion is far less tragic. "Don't Mess with Special Collections Librarians" has interesting links to a theft of rare books from Transylvania University Library in NY.

Blogspot

Wow!!!

The 4 "students" had planned almost two years..

still got caught

and deserve the sentences

CAL who dislikes crime

Blogspot

Transylvania University Library in Lexington, KY.

The perps lived only a few blocks from us. They got their ideas about how to plan a robbery from 1950 Batman villains or Daredevil's Ani-Men.

Jack

Apparently one of them knew the value of the books AND how to go to Christie's/Sotheby's in NYC and arranged to unload their ill-gotten booty.

Their plan sounded doable, but somewhere something went wrong during the beginning time of the robbery and mistakes and clues were made and they got caught.

Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt.

They got what they deserved - crime should never pay.

CAL the Crusader

The perps lived only a few blocks from us. They got their ideas about how to plan a robbery from 1950 Batman villains or Daredevil's Ani-Men.

Jack

So this story is actually not off topic given the Batman/Daredevil link. I found an Ani-Men description on the net -- too modern for my comic book knowledge...Batman from the '50s is too old. :(

Jack

So this story is actually not off topic given the Batman/Daredevil link. I found an Ani-Men description on the net -- too modern for my comic book knowledge...Batman from the '50s is too old. :(

Plus the fact that apparently they purchased their "stun pen" (powered by 2 AAA batteries) from the back cover of a comic book. I wonder if they tried using the x-ray spex for surveillance? hm

Jack

Plus the fact that apparently they purchased their "stun pen" (powered by 2 AAA batteries) from the back cover of a comic book. I wonder if they tried using the x-ray spex for surveillance? hm

:signfunny:

Blogspot

I bet Dracula got wise and told the authorities.

staked out the library to determine staffing and security,

planned the getaway (e.g., got a car, planned the route, etc.), and generally financed the operation

(e.g., made hotel accommodations in New York and purchased snacks for the trip

Very important detail often overlooked

This robbery was re-enacted for atelevision episode on cable. It was fun watching the plan fall apart at every step.I didn't read the article but on tv it falls apart when they get off the elevator on the wrong floor.

planned the getaway (e.g., got a car, planned the route, etc.), and generally financed the operation

But the rest of the guys wouldn't listen to any of his ideas while they were planning the robbery...

:sorry:

I hope he has to share a cell with them :devil:

But the rest of the guys wouldn't listen to any of his ideas while they were planning the robbery...

:sorry:

I hope he has to share a cell with them :devil:

I looked like ONE smart planner and THREE wanna-be insufficiently_thoughtful_persons that caused the plan to go up in smoke...

But that ONE smart planner was not smart enough to get three relaible participants... reminds me of "Dog Day Afternoon" w/ Al Pacino/John Cazale...

CAL hm

As a rare book collector, I find it comical that four knuckleheads would have bluffed their way past any major auction house with their stash of stuff. Not only were the items rare, they were incredibly unique and easily traceable (i.e. original Audubon drawings and the presentation copy of Hortis Sanitatus).