• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forum advice/strategy for bidding/buying books you want on a limited budget

40 posts in this topic

If there are a dozen or more books you would like to own, and they are all for sale at the same time, and they all fit into your collecting focus, yet you can only afford one or two, how do you narrow it down and let the others go? What are your keys to deciding which one or two books to buy or bid on?

Thanks for any advice.

If there are a dozen or more books you would like to own, and they are all for sale at the same time, and they all fit into your collecting focus, yet you can only afford one or two, how do you narrow it down and let the others go? What are your keys to deciding which one or two books to buy or bid on?

Thanks for any advice.

Availability. Basically, that's it.

Buy them all. Later knock off couple of liquor stores. (thumbs u

How much do you think I could get per liquor store? Would I need a gun? That would be an extra expense. Maybe I could rob a gun store first, then a liquor store. hm:insane:

Buy them all. Later knock off couple of liquor stores. (thumbs u

How much do you think I could get per liquor store? Would I need a gun? That would be an extra expense. Maybe I could rob a gun store first, then a liquor store. hm:insane:

you can get a nice gun at the pharmacy for about 1.99. Keep it your coat pocket and don't pull it out unless completely necessary. Hit a big store as they have the most money and preferably one that is not run by the owner...they really don't put up much of a fight as it's not their money you're taking... :insane:

If these are books that you really want then buy them all (hopefully time payments are available) and sell some books you have that are not as important to you ..... :shrug:

Yeah, I am thinking about selling some books, that might help a little. I don't think time payments are an option as most of these are for sale through various auctions.

Buy the ones that come up for sale less often....

That gets me down to about 8 books to pick from. Most of the ones I'm looking at are top census.

wallet_burning_money_hg_wht.gif

Yeah, I think these boards have finally gotten to me. I've bought quite a few graded books over the years, but they were always in the 7.0 - 9.0 range because I crack them all out to read. However, recently I've gotten the urge to have a few nicer copies of a couple titles I collect. Now, I'm thinking that it would be kind of fun to try and have a top census collection.

Dear God, what am I becoming!!?

Thanks for any advice.

For me, there's still a pecking order involved even after weeding out the chaff. If not, then I'd go with the most bang for my buck. Will the two bring me closer to a collecting goal, how often I've seen them for sale, etc.

Jim

Well, I buy low grade so that makes my collecting more attainable. :shrug:

But much like everyone else has stated, make a list of why you need/want each book. Understanding how each one could fit into your collection should shed some light on to how to slot each book in the food chain.

Best of luck!