• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forum advice/strategy for bidding/buying books you want on a limited budget

40 posts in this topic

Buy the ones that come up for sale less often....

That gets me down to about 8 books to pick from. Most of the ones I'm looking at are top census.

To be honest with you Alec, I would draft(I mean buy) the best comic available, even if it's not at the top of your want list.

You at least have a top 8 want list,many don't.... enjoy the hunt.

Buy them all. Later knock off couple of liquor stores. (thumbs u

How much do you think I could get per liquor store? Would I need a gun? That would be an extra expense. Maybe I could rob a gun store first, then a liquor store. hm:insane:

you can get a nice gun at the pharmacy for about 1.99. Keep it your coat pocket and don't pull it out unless completely necessary. Hit a big store as they have the most money and preferably one that is not run by the owner...they really don't put up much of a fight as it's not their money you're taking... :insane:

Clearly, you speak from experience. Should I hit liquor stores in my area?

There is actually a combination liquor store/tattoo parlour/gun store a few blocks away from me. I refer to it as the Mall of Missouri.

How much do you think I could get per liquor store? Would I need a gun? That would be an extra expense. Maybe I could rob a gun store first, then a liquor store. hm:insane:

you can get a nice gun at the pharmacy for about 1.99. Keep it your coat pocket and don't pull it out unless completely necessary. Hit a big store as they have the most money and preferably one that is not run by the owner...they really don't put up much of a fight as it's not their money you're taking... :insane:

There is actually a combination liquor store/tattoo parlour/gun store a few blocks away from me. I refer to it as the Mall of Missouri.

That works. :grin:

Don't use duct tape.

Robbery is a serious problem for retail stores across our region. But the employees of Shamrock Liquors in Ashland, Kentucky, can't stop laughing about what happened last Friday at the store along 13th street.

Police say Kasey Kazee walked in to the store with duct tape wrapped around his head to conceal his face.

Fortunately, store manager Bill Steele had some duct tape of his own. Steel had a wooden club wrapped with duct tape that eventually sent the suspect fleeing the store.

Store employee Craig Miller says he chased Kazee to the parking lot, tackled him and held him in a choke positiion until police arrived. An unidentified customer also helped.

Kazee said in a jailhouse interview today police got the wrong man and Kazee says he has no memory of going in to the liquor store. He also says he has no memory of police removing the duct tape.

We asked Kazee how he could deny being the duct tape bandit even though police have photos showing Kazee with the duct tape on and then a photo where Kazee's face is revealed.

Kazee looked straight at the camera and said, "Do I look like the duct tape bandit to you?"

Miller says Kazee also had a t-shirt pulled up around his head during the robbery attempt. Miller says it reminded him of the "Cornholio" character from the "Beavis and Butthead" cartoon.

Steele says Kazee did get away with two rolls of change before Steele could grab his club. Police found much of that change in the parking lot.

wsaz_mug_duct-tape_01.jpg

I try to buy the ones that are the best price as they will all come up for sale again eventually. Just like a violin, they are all replaceable. :devil:

All humor aside, that's the best advice possible. Go with the ones at the best price....successful collectors (at least those that don't have an unlimited budget) treat collecting like a marathon, not a sprint. I can't tell you how many books I was able to eventually acquire at better pricing down the road then when I first had the opportunity to buy them.

Patience is a virtue afterall.

Don't spend your money on creepy looking dolls. :baiting:

Don't tell your wife I said that. :whistle:

lol

Our son has told her that several times. I keep my mouth shut because our couch is kind of old and doesn't have much cushion left in it.

That works. :grin:

Don't use duct tape.

I forgot about trying to conceal my identity. I'll just do what Superman does and wear some glasses. They'll never recognize me. :P

If there are a dozen or more books you would like to own, and they are all for sale at the same time, and they all fit into your collecting focus, yet you can only afford one or two, how do you narrow it down and let the others go? What are your keys to deciding which one or two books to buy or bid on?

Thanks for any advice.

Line of credit (thumbs u

If there are a dozen or more books you would like to own, and they are all for sale at the same time, and they all fit into your collecting focus, yet you can only afford one or two, how do you narrow it down and let the others go? What are your keys to deciding which one or two books to buy or bid on?

Thanks for any advice.

Line of credit (thumbs u

(tsk) Worst thing you can do...

This is a thread I just have to add my two cents worth to.

I'm on budget and my better half gives me a limit per payday

as to how much I can spend on funny books. I always ask

a seller first if I can pay on my next upcoming payday before

hitting this little guy I love so much, :takeit:

I try to stay focused on my collecting goals and that's half the

battle with so many cool books offered in the marketplace.

The main thing I've had to learn and I'm still working on it is

patience and staying within my stinkin' rotten budget. :pullhair:

I try not to do anymore impulse buying and never use a credit

card to make any purchases.

One other thing that works pretty good is hiding a few bucks

from my better half for the books that surprise you when they

hit the Marketplace or are offered up for auction from a known

and trusted seller on e-bay. :devil:

Also buy lottery tickets and pray :wishluck::insane:

Buy what you can. Sell and save enough for what you need at a later time. (thumbs u

Yep, I'm debt free and plan to keep it that way. I've been going through my collection the last couple nights to see what I have to sell. Some things that I just bought to read I think I could part with in favor of books that fit better into my collecting focus.

Thanks for everyone's advice thus far.

I won't rob a liquor store. I've cased all the local stores anyhow and they all have video cameras.