• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man # 74 - The Real Story ???

3 posts in this topic

I recently received the Marvel Masterworks Amazing Spider-Man Vol #9 (ok, for those romantics, I got it for Valentine's day). As part of the extras, it included some penciled pages by John Romita that were suppose to be part of Amazing Spider-Man # 74, but never did. (ASM # 74 was the penultimate story in the Silver Mane tablet of time story line instead.) The art board on which they were drawn all has Spider-Man # 74 in the spot where the issue number would belong.

The art appears to be very closely linked to the story that was in the Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine issue #1 and one page includes the confrontation between Richard Raleigh and the little weasly dude.

But here's where I'm confused. Spec. Spider-Man Magazine # 1 is from July 1968 (the same month as ASM # 62). ASM # 74 was published in July 1969. Why would John Romita be doing the pencils for an issue where the story had already been told? The other possibility was that they were a year ahead on story telling and then decided to put the story in the Magazine. I doubt this though, because they were always talking about tight deadlines.

As another aside, John Romita mentions that the Prowler design was originally planned for the never produced Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine # 3. It would wind up in ASM # 78. So, that kind of goes with the timing of the Richard Raleigh story in ASM # 74.

So who out there has some insight into this?