• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC or Raw

76 posts in this topic

The one saving grace about slabbed is you can always crack 'em out and...voila...they're raw again and you have a verifed (respected and understood by others in the collecting community) grade... (thumbs u

Then some folks will try to sell that unslabbed book at GPA prices using the logic that it was once slabbed. At which point my eyes start shooting fire!

A look at some of the raw Green Rivers in my collection. For now they're going to stay that way. About half the collection is raw, the other half slabbed.

greenstacks.jpg

Nice blanket :baiting:

Eh. BGC 6.0 (shrug)

A look at some of the raw Green Rivers in my collection. For now they're going to stay that way. About half the collection is raw, the other half slabbed.

greenstacks.jpg

Nice blanket :baiting:

Eh. BGC 6.0 (shrug)

:signfunny:

Older stuff raw since I keep those. Bronze and newer slabbed since those(sometimes) are easier to move.

Some of the first books slabbed are now due for micro-chamber replacement... how many of us have checked the due dates on our slabbed books and resubmitted them for micro-chamber paper replacement?

Which is yet another reason for a "Date Graded" field on the label, or a separate sticker CGC affixes to denote that the book has been refreshed.

After all, how is the average non-Member buyer supposed to know in 5, 10, 15+ more years?

How about they eliminate the paper? It's the only item advertised in the slab with a shelf life...

Jim

The concern is that without the microchamber paper, a book would stew in its own offgassing within the sealed shell. The microchamber paper neutralizes that offgassing.

Once the life of the microchamber paper has expired, it simply stops working (neutralizing offgassing), but it does not become harmful. So, in effect, spent microchamber paper is essentially the same as having nothing at all.

Damn Steve, there you go letting facts get in the way of a good argument.

:naughty:

I have zero slabs in my collection. Every CGC book I get is immediately cracked out. Most of them are golden age though, so no real value loss associated with it...

I do slab books for resale though.

Real men enjoy it raw (thumbs u

I have never bought a comic in a plastic coffin nor have any plans to and I enjoy it out here buying in a riskier way than the collecting while sleep walking method.

But if I ever do I will do exactly as you do and crack'em open catch and release style.

Wow, way to slam a whole section of the collecting population :applause:

I'm providing a little counter argument to the prevailing consensus here. I'm the chocolate to your peanut butter.

I'm sure there are many CGC slab fans who think its their duty to convince raw fans who come here that conversion is the way to go and I feel the need to balance that.

Notice I never make threads like this, only reply to them when they come up.

Dr. Watson: Is that a big enough opinion? :baiting: (thumbs u

No,you are slamming those of us who do collect slabs by using such terms as:

"Collecting while sleep-walking method"

"Comic in a plastic coffin"

None of the above two are anything but direct slams on people who collect slabs. Prevailing consensus? Where is it the prevailing consensus that people here only collect slabs?Completely not accurate. Hell, ive got 10x as many raw books as slabs and that is in a very small collection. I doubt there is anyone here who does have more slabs than raw. And even then the point is moot.

You dont like slabs, thats cool, and is your right to not like them. But dont make outlandish and hyperbolic statements to down and discredit those of who do collect them.

You guys get your assess burned really good on some restored high grade Silver Age books and then decide if raw is better than slabbed.

Aren't slabs the Paper Mechanic's ultimate goal these days? Slabs bring more money, they're a great hiding place, and a testament to their skills.

"Gaming the system" evolved into an actual profession , didn't it? Supplying the grades people really want, fresh from the workbench...

You guys get your assess burned really good on some restored high grade Silver Age books and then decide if raw is better than slabbed.

Aren't slabs the Paper Mechanic's ultimate goal these days? Slabs bring more money, they're a great hiding place, and a testament to their skills.

"Gaming the system" evolved into an actual profession , didn't it? Supplying the grades people really want, fresh from the workbench...

If you can get them past CGC. Which, contrary to what ot seems to be on these boards, takes more than a smile and a wave of the hand.

Ill take my chances on UHG/$$$ books that have been graded over buying raw more times than not.

Oh please, like "gaming the system" is something new that came along with the advent of and/or after CGC. Danny Dupack, among others, flourished like stink on sh*t before CGC and continues to make a decent dishonest living.