• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to sell my collection in one shot...without getting raped on it.

123 posts in this topic

And a hint, if you sell the keys in the marketplace, you are really going to screw yourself on selling the remainder of your collection.

Let me guess, you're a dealer, right? lol

Yes, but I am not soliciting the collection. I am trying to help him out.

interesting...

looks like it's decision time.

I wonder which way he's going to go?

:popcorn:

[but lets say a dealer pays 75- 80% on the super keys (forumites are not going to pay more than that, or they could just go buy the books from a dealer), 50- 60% on the early issues (pre 1964), and then 40 - 50% on the decent stuff, say from 1965 - 1972.

But the question is always: What are the dealers basing this % on?

Is it GPA on CGC books, or a dusty old OS 9.2? Is it accurate grading, or lowball stuff where all the NM and VF books magically turn into VF and F ones?

From what I've seen, other than the odd hyper-key, it's the latter.

Wow, a lot of effort going into trying to stop him from listing his 25-50 best books on the forum for the prices he'd like to get, something that would probably take under 2-3 hours! Where's the risk in that?

40-50% on the "good stuff" from 1965-72? Which dealer is that?

50-60% on the pre-64 issues? Again, which dealer is that, unless we're talking high grade stuff.

A dealer may very well pay $3200 for a $4000 book when they know they have a $4000 buyer lined up.

Most dealers are going to come up with a price they'd like to pay for the good stuff and not even factor in the other 2800 or so books, those are freebies.

Wow, a lot of effort going into trying to stop him from listing his 25-50 best books on the forum for the prices he'd like to get, something that would probably take under 2-3 hours! Where's the risk in that?

Dealers missing out on their cut? (shrug)

In all seriousness, I see very little harm in trying to sell the dupes of the key stuff even if you ultimately sell a chunk of this to a dealer. A dealer buying multiple copies of X-Men __ or ASM __, even subconsciously, maybe be paying a little less for copies #2 - #4 and so on because those may take longer to sell.

And that would give you cash to breath easier for a while, no? so you're not desperate...

Wow,

This thread really turned into a mess. First of all, I simply was asking what the BEST way would be to sell the entire collection, without getting raped.

I never said, I have to sell everything, right now, or my life is over.

I need to get rid of my collection quickly, thats all.

Second, It was never, and still isn't my intention to "solicit offers" on my collection here. When I said "I will probably post the list here, and return PM's" that meant I would list the complete collection here, and return PM's I have received from everyone who would like to know what is in the collection. As I stated before, I think a better idea of what to do can be attained if people know EXACTLY what my collection consists of.

Lastly, I see certain people on these boards have nothing better to do, than stumble thread to thread looking to pick a fight, or acting as though they are the "board police". I am simply asking for advice, and suggestions. If you have none to offer, or nothing better to do than try and derail the thread, please go to another thread.

To everyone else who has tried to at least offer a suggestion, or some advice, thank you.

Wow,

This thread really turned into a mess. First of all, I simply was asking what the BEST way would be to sell the entire collection, without getting raped.

Second, It was never, and still isn't my intention to "solicit offers" on my collection here. When I said "I will probably post the list here, and return PM's" that meant I would list the complete collection here, and return PM's I have received from everyone who would like to know what is in the collection. As I stated before, I think a better idea of what to do can be attained if people know EXACTLY what my collection consists of.

Lastly, I see certain people on these boards have nothing better to do, than stumble thread to thread looking to pick a fight, or acting as though they are the "board police". I am simply asking for advice, and suggestions. If you have none to offer, or nothing better to do than try and derail the thread, please go to another thread.

To everyone else who has tried to at least offer a suggestion, or some advice, thank you.

I wish you the best of luck in your sales effort. I find selling comics to be a real challenge sometimes.

Buying them is so much easier!!

Owning them is a pleasure.

Reading them, when they are good, is the best.

Smelling the old ones is an additional plus.

Friday afternoons are Miller time.

Wow,

I wish you the best of luck in your sales effort. I find selling comics to be a real challenge sometimes.

Buying them is so much easier!!

Owning them is a pleasure.

Reading them, when they are good, is the best.

Smelling the old ones is an additional plus.

Friday afternoons are Miller time.

I agree 100%. Thanks for the kind wishes!

Lastly, I see certain people on these boards have nothing better to do, than stumble thread to thread looking to pick a fight, or acting as though they are the "board police".

Lastly, I see certain people on these boards have nothing better to do, that post some stupid sob story about having to sell all their comics, looking for sympathy, and then emerging as their second, more evil personality when people don't send him donations.

Karma sucks, don't it? :tonofbricks:

Hey, I never tire of this "good cop/bad cop" mental illness on here, where a person will start out posting all nice and sober, blathering about X,, Y and Z, then suddenly get all antagonistic and evil when things don't go totally their way.

It happens all the time on here - maybe it's common in collectors, like OCD? (shrug)

What's funny about this one is that it stayed relatively on-topic and the reason the OP get all ticked is because myself and a few others didn't wholeheartedly support his proposal to blatantly flaunt the forum rules, and offer sales via PM in the General forum.

But hey, if that's no problem, I'm sure I can list a pile of books for sale here, as could lots of others - heck, let's call Chuck in too! :banana:

Lastly, I see certain people on these boards have nothing better to do, than stumble thread to thread looking to pick a fight, or acting as though they are the "board police".

Lastly, I see certain people on these boards have nothing better to do, that post some stupid sob story about having to sell all their comics, looking for sympathy, and then emerging as their second, more evil personality when people don't send him donations.

Wait, some people have more evil personalities? doh!

Yeah , but he had been accumulating books for quite awhile from many of us over the last few months , and I don't think that there is any vast conspiracy in him sharing his current situation w/ many people that he feels he has developed a relationship with due to his past interactions.

And , yes maybe its time to take it to a sales thread , but , he wanted input.

It is not always so strait forward/comfortable for everyone to just go right to the sales thread to "sell off" their entire collection for the very 1st time...

Dude , seriously though , are you not a little harsh on the selling "rules" for some reason ?...I mean you haven't really been the poster child for following rules , ..have you ?

Yell at me if you wish , but that's just the way I see it.......BH.... (shrug)

Sob story, people sending me donations? What are you smoking?

I am glad my "sob story" is amusing to you, because I would not wish financial dificulties on anyone. I am not asking for donations, just advice. Last time I checked, it is permitted on the boards.

Once again, you contribute absolutely nothing to the thread, and try to paint it with your trademark negativity. I will PM you in the future to get your permission to post a new thread....I would hate to receive a ticket in the mail from the "holier than thou" police.

Have a nice evening.

Dude , seriously though , are you not a little harsh on the selling "rules" for some reason ?...I mean you haven't really been the poster child for following rules , ..have you ?

Here's EXACTLY what I posted, and was slammed with "board police" insults and innuendo:

I would not recommend breaking the board rules like that, so just start a thread in the Marketplace.

How is that harsh? I was trying to be nice about it, after having offered my advice on selling previously in the thread.