• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to sell my collection in one shot...without getting raped on it.

123 posts in this topic

As a few of you know, I pretty much have no choice but to sell my comic collection, due to financial reasons amongst other things.

What would be the best way to sell if off, quickly? I know most comic book dealers are going to come in, undergrade the majority of my books then offer to give me like 20% of overstreet for the undergraded price.

I wouldn't consider any of my collection "junk" the stuff that I have that is 1980-up is X-books, Spidey-books, Bats, etc.

I have 5 long-boxes of just ASM, 3 of them have nothing but silver/bronze stuff.

1 copy of AF15, 1 copy of ASM #1, 3 copies of #2, 4 copies of #3, 3 copies of #4

some CGC stuff (#2 5.5, #3 5.0, #4 5.5, #6 5.5, etc etc etc etc) etc. etc.

On to the other stuff, I have FF #2, 4, 5, 7, 8, and a bunch of stuff from 20-up, 4 copies of X-Men #1, including a CGC 7.0 copy, a few GA Batman books, and another 4-5 boxes of other misc silver-age stuff (Avengers, DD, TOS, Hulk)

The thing is, I want to just get rid of it all, in one shot.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Well, there really isn't a way to sell everything in one shot and not take a significant hit in dollars realized. I suppose you could get lucky and find a collector who will pay well, but your best bet is to sell to one of the more reputable dealers. Even then I think you will get 50% of market value at best, unless nearly everything you have is instantly flippable by the buyer.

Maybe do a listing in the marketplace here? You never know...

BTW, you have enough desirable quick movers (early ASM, AF 15 and early FFs) that you should be able to package it with the newer stuff. While the moderns will get sold in bulk, at least they are desirable titles that could be sold in runs.

Good luck. :wishluck:

Blackooss , truly sorry for your situation. You should be able to sell the X-Men #94 -121 that I sold you for at least that or a profit.

I would at least take the time to list everything here in the marketplace. You have been good to everyone , and we can spread the word and possibly help you out of this bind!.......BH...... :)

You will get reamed selling everything in one shot - there's no question about that. Like everyone else says, why don't you list the easily sellable stuff in the 'for sale' threads here? If you sell things at 50% guide here, that's still a lot better than receving 20% guide if you take everything to a dealer ...

As a few of you know, I pretty much have no choice but to sell my comic collection, due to financial reasons amongst other things.

What would be the best way to sell if off, quickly? I know most comic book dealers are going to come in, undergrade the majority of my books then offer to give me like 20% of overstreet for the undergraded price.

I wouldn't consider any of my collection "junk" the stuff that I have that is 1980-up is X-books, Spidey-books, Bats, etc.

I have 5 long-boxes of just ASM, 3 of them have nothing but silver/bronze stuff.

1 copy of AF15, 1 copy of ASM #1, 3 copies of #2, 4 copies of #3, 3 copies of #4

On to the other stuff, I have FF #2, 4, 5, 7, 8, and a bunch of stuff from 20-up, 4 copies of X-Men #1, including a CGC 7.0 copy, a few GA Batman books, and another 4-5 boxes of other misc silver-age stuff (Avengers, DD, TOS, Hulk)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

The AF15 is really hot right now. Have that puppy graded and then auction it off. I bet the AF 15 alone will pay off all your money problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

The AF15 is really hot right now. Have that puppy graded and then auction it off. I bet the AF 15 alone will pay off all your money problems.

The X-Men #1 CGC 7.0 alone is worth $4 GRAND!!!

BTW, you have enough desirable quick movers (early ASM, AF 15 and early FFs) that you should be able to package it with the newer stuff. While the moderns will get sold in bulk, at least they are desirable titles that could be sold in runs.

Zipper's right. Those early Spider-Man and FF should fly out the door.

Thanks for all the advice, and kind words guys. I just have a TON of stuff, making the time to sell it all off individually, or in small lots, packaging, shipping, grading etc etc. is nearly impossible.

What do the major dealers usually charge to take something in on consignment 15-20%?

It's a shame that you need to unload everything at once; those early ASMs and FFs would probably fly out the door right here in the Selling Forum.

It's a shame that you need to unload everything at once; those early ASMs and FFs would probably fly out the door right here in the Selling Forum.

anything that is a key and worth over $100

could be sold in the selling forum.

These books should do well there.

Thanks for all the advice, and kind words guys. I just have a TON of stuff, making the time to sell it all off individually, or in small lots, packaging, shipping, grading etc etc. is nearly impossible.

What do the major dealers usually charge to take something in on consignment 15-20%?

The realities of the collectibles marketplace mean that you will take a huge hit if you wish to sell all your books quickly at one time.

They are not gold or some other commodity.

If you can't even sell a few of the books separately then accept the situation for what it is and move on. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it appears to me that you're looking for someone to bail you out and that's just not going to happen.

You should be able to get 50%-60% of market for your CGC graded keys and semi-keys. Since many dealers/collectors don't subscribe to GPA, expect that number to be approximately current OPG.

For your raw books, you should expect 30%-40% for the nicer stuff and 20%-30% for the rest.

Do you reside in a metro area where you can bring the books to someone or live in a rural area where that would be more difficult? That will obviously have an impact on how fast you can make a deal. Graham Crackers in Chicago can do a deal. Metropolis in New York. Bedrock in Houston. There are others of course.

I've advised collectors for over 30 years that if they are ever forced to liquidate (god, that's an ugly word), that they will get hit very hard.

Sorry for your misfortune. Good luck.

--Gary

I don't get this - have you been in an accident or are medically unsound?

If so, then I understand your concern and a dealer is the best route. If not, then get your hass in gear and sell off the top 10% of your books privately, then let the dealers pick up the scraps. You'll make far more money that way.

post the list in the comics for sale section, you could sell a ton of stuff by the end of weekend

How many copies of ASM 2 and 3 did he say he had...? :insane: