• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When will the ages on comics change?

39 posts in this topic

the 'chrome age' is looking very much like the nadir of the hobby.

why oh why did I open an LCS during this era

1993-1998 with hindsight, I'd have left well alone, and it put me off the hobby for years.

I believe the major change between cheaper paper to finer quality paper will become the cut off for this era.

:screwy::screwy::screwy:

from the mid-80's to 1990,

Having a comic age last only 5 years is :screwy::screwy::screwy:

WTF are you talking about? You sliced out a few words, without even reading it, I assume.

Here is the full comment, and the ages I proposed:

Like I said before, if anyone was buying comics from the mid-80's to 1990, and walked into a comic shop the day Spider-man #1 was released, there is not even a hint of a question as to when Copper ended.

Copper Age - 1981-1990 (ended with Spider-man #1)

Chrome Age - 1991-2000 (ended with USM #1)

Modern Age - 2000-Now

Modern Age - 2000-Now

(thumbs u

What is kinda weird about this is how much a new decade seems to cause a "big change" in comics, almost like the creators woke up and said:

"Okay, it's the start of a new decade - I'd better get working on something new!"

I believe that happens to an extent, and I can remember feeling that way in 2000. :banana:

I believe the major change between cheaper paper to finer quality paper will become the cut off for this era.

:screwy::screwy::screwy:

from the mid-80's to 1990,

Having a comic age last only 5 years is :screwy::screwy::screwy:

WTF are you talking about? You sliced out a few words, without even reading it, I assume.

Here is the full comment, and the ages I proposed:

Like I said before, if anyone was buying comics from the mid-80's to 1990, and walked into a comic shop the day Spider-man #1 was released, there is not even a hint of a question as to when Copper ended.

Modern Age - 2000-Now

My mistake, it seemed like you were referring to the copper age there. Should of read the other thread you made. One problem with your assignment.

Most people end the Bronze age at about 1984.

Here is how I would look at it.

Bronze Age - 1970-1984 (Ended with TNMT #1 )

Copper Age - 1985-2000 (Ended with USM #1 )

I don't see the need for the Chrome age, though it is a good name.

Nope, that was a recent change by Overstreet, likely by dealers intent on selling off dead Copper Age 1981-84 stock, repositioned as Bronze Age.

But the majority of rational collectors have used 1980-81 as the end of the Bronze Age, and will continue to do so.

It's stupid otherwise, as using 1985 as the start of the Copper Age means that seminal Copper books like TMNT, Byrne's FF run, Secret Wars, Contest of Champions, the Wolvie Mini, etc. are now suddenly Bronze? Yeah right, in what world?

Nope, that was a recent change by Overstreet, likely by dealers intent on selling off dead Copper Age 1981-84 stock, repositioned as Bronze Age.

But the majority of rational collectors have used 1980-81 as the end of the Bronze Age, and will continue to do so.

It's stupid otherwise, as using 1985 as the start of the Copper Age means that seminal Copper books like TMNT, Byrne's FF run, Secret Wars, Contest of Champions, the Wolvie Mini, etc. are now suddenly Bronze? Yeah right, in what world?

For once, I agree with you. There is no way the Bronze Age lasted through 1984. It died with disco around 1981.

Maybe ended is a bad word. I believe the Copper Age started with TMNT. Usually new ages are started not ended. So Bronze=1970 to 1984 when TMNT came out, and Copper 1984 to 2000 to right before USM came out. And modern USM until now.

for me the bronze age ended with Byrne leaving Uncanny X-men,

X-Men 137-142 signified the end of the Bronze Age for me - the last big character death, Days of Future Past, Byrne leaving.

This also opened the door for Byrne to do both the writing and art, creating two runs that helped define Copper - his FF and Alpha Flight.

A comic age is defined by a new direction, a new method of storytelling, a new distribution format, a change driven by creators, or all of the above. Paper has nothing to do with it.

This is what I was looking for, a quantifier of sorts ....so then the dividing line for each series or 'line' is probably slightly or way different from each other?

I bought a few comics then , but never paid attention to what the market or anything was doing....I was just buying what I liked to read back then ( if the story s_ucked I didn't buy it no matter who's name was on it) , but I do remember that the way some were marketed was like the next best thing to baseball cards with the advertising posters and all.

In fact, I'd rate that day as the BIGGEST change ever in the history of comics. It was insane, and the comic biz was suddenly a circus, speculation was rampant, manufactured variants were all the rage, and hot artists were transformed into rock stars - which led to Image.

I agree that suddenly names like Stan Lee , that I've always known and others suddenly started showing up in articles and when movies , like Superman came out versus the several TV series and cartoons, and Hollywood found comic characters worked for full feature movies and advertising...things kinda took-off to where we had Batman ,Spawn ,Spider-Man , now Ghost Rider, etc .

So, are we close to a new era now ? or even a re-grouping...this CHROME really should be more like Chromium age with all the shiny chromium covers that popped out then.

I mean was there a major production or technique change to actually end the previous age and let in the new?

If you were in a comic store the day Spider-man #1, and all its Gold, Green, Silver and Platinum variants were released, you would not be asking that question.

Or the God Awfull flourecent covers for legend of the Dark Knight!! :sick:

Modern Age - 2000-Now

(thumbs u I like it.

I agree. The Bronze age ended with newsprint, disco, Byrne's run on X men (which is argueably the hottest run of it's time) and of course the never fashionable 80's was the start of a new period which changed the look of comics forever with nicer paper, bigger distribution outlets, the onset of Convention fandom on a previously unkown level and the beginnings of Indy publishers.

No doubt about that.

Does the Copper era have to end at 90/91?

Why not have the copper era end now with the onset of Internet comics? This is an unprecedented change that will likely never change back again? Not only has the medium changed but so has the story telling. Year long multi issue story arcs, entire comics being written, drawn and coloured on computer, a massive rise in Adult content in comics and a large group of SA/BA artists that are no longer active. To me the copper age was blurred through the 90's so whether there was a chrome age or not is disputeable but without a doubt a new age has started. Just a thought....

R.

Does the Copper era have to end at 90/91?

I wouldn't know about all the series such as some of the more knowledgeable posters , which is why I was asking ...I've got copies of Overstreet price guides and grading guides ....and what little info is in my head , but I'm leaning at there was , in my opinion-and uninformed as it may be - a major change that I noticed without being infused into the comic hobby ...I was the guy that read them then folded them up into a back pocket rather than sleeve them for posterity....

........anywho...what I noticed was all these start-up companies putting out titles left and right seemed to pop up around the early 90's ( I sure liked Epic and still have some with my Heavy Metals) ....some had talent from other companies that had went off and formed other companies ....and look at Jim Shooter's move .

I kinda started with The Thing , Ghost Rider , and Bizzarro around the late 70's / early '80s , but picked back up the reading habit in the early '90s , so I missed a lot of stuff I never paid attention too .

So , ya see where I'm confused ? There just seems to enough difference to me to have a need for some filler to cover the space between the early90's up to the early 2000's...an thus my curiosity why comics during this mentioned decade are still considered Modern ( which , by name is a moving category) and not something else??