• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When will the ages on comics change?

39 posts in this topic

Ok , this may have been covered , but I can't find it anywhere ....We have silver and bronze age and modern age comic categories(among others)......when do these designations change? I mean when will today's modern no longer be a modern....what and how will it be designated and when? (shrug)

I can see where there could be a joke about a modern never being ...anything :o ...ok , but that doesn't answer the question of who/what and when determines what, and when, what goes into which category hm...how does that category thing work...who decided it?

I'm more of a coin-ee , but have a strong like for certain comics :cloud9:, and my comic history base is weak :boo:.

It looks like it ought to be about time for some of the older books to move into another category :baiting:....what is going to happen , when... in another 30-50 years to today's moderns...they still gonna be called modern?

.......I'm thinking the year 2075 and some kid has two moderns...a 1992 Hulk and a 2075 Hulk . (shrug)

Ok , this may have been covered , but I can't find it anywhere ....We have silver and bronze age and modern age comic categories(among others)......when do these designations change? I mean when will today's modern no longer be a modern....what and how will it be designated and when? (shrug)

I can see where there could be a joke about a modern never being ...anything :o ...ok , but that doesn't answer the question of who/what and when determines what, and when, what goes into which category hm...how does that category thing work...who decided it?

I'm more of a coin-ee , but have a strong like for certain comics :cloud9:, and my comic history base is weak :boo:.

It looks like it ought to be about time for some of the older books to move into another category :baiting:....what is going to happen , when... in another 30-50 years to today's moderns...they still gonna be called modern?

.......I'm thinking the year 2075 and some kid has two moderns...a 1992 Hulk and a 2075 Hulk . (shrug)

I don't think there is any certain time factor in the determining new comic ages. They are just gradually introduced and accepted. The newest age most recently designated would be the Copper Age (1984-1992???). It was adopted by the Overstreet Guide a few years ago and is still in dispute about when it starts and ends. As to who decides the ages, again it is commonly just slowly accepted by the masses and eventually recognized by Overstreet and other professionals in the industry.

Collect well you can, in another 10 years in will be internet age.....

Copper Age - 1981-1990 (ended with Spider-man #1)

Chrome Age - 1991-2000 (ended with USM #1)

Modern Age - 2000-Now

That about where I put the start of Copper also...

Has anyone attempted to stratify a Chrome Age yet?

Jim

Coin,

If you do a search in the Copper and Modern Threads, you'll find a couple insightful discussions that have taken place. Worthwhile if you're interested!

I'm heading out to work , but will search there monday night/Tuesday , Thanks! Mac Man (thumbs u

Modern Age - 2000-Now

Chrome...I like that ...and/or Platinum , but what would be the quantifier...I mean was there a major production or technique change to actually end the previous age and let in the new? That's what I thought by saying that it is time that someone draw a line in the proverbial sand and designate the endpoint of the last and move some of the older recent stuff to another designated age , then we would have a new point to call where moderns start. ??!?

Was 2000 the year that some major change took place that changed the way comics were produced (artistic/mechanical production,pacakging,etc) which could be the point that we say the last age ended....I'll probably know more after I search some of where Mac Man suggested...-later.

I mean was there a major production or technique change to actually end the previous age and let in the new?

If you were in a comic store the day Spider-man #1, and all its Gold, Green, Silver and Platinum variants were released, you would not be asking that question.

Modern Age - 2000-Now

Chrome...I like that ...and/or Platinum , but what would be the quantifier...I mean was there a major production or technique change to actually end the previous age and let in the new? That's what I thought by saying that it is time that someone draw a line in the proverbial sand and designate the endpoint of the last and move some of the older recent stuff to another designated age , then we would have a new point to call where moderns start. ??!?

Was 2000 the year that some major change took place that changed the way comics were produced (artistic/mechanical production,pacakging,etc) which could be the point that we say the last age ended....I'll probably know more after I search some of where Mac Man suggested...-later.

Platinum is already in use for comic material prior to 1933.

Modern Age - 2000-Now

Platinum is already in use for comic material prior to 1933.

as it is seen as "better" than gold.

See your still sportin the "Hamiltan" avatar there junior. Good boy , I think I'm gonna send ya two SA treats now !

BTW.....THX. for the 2 books , I received them today....KUDOS !........but I'd better take that to the "KUDOS" thread before JC gets after me ..... :baiting:

I believe that when all is said and done copper age will be extended. it will most likely cover from 1984 to some point in the late 90's. What makes the late 90's special?. This is when the major companies changed the paper they printed their comic books on. No longer was newspaper print acceptable. I believe the major change between cheaper paper to finer quality paper will become the cut off for this era.

I believe the major change between cheaper paper to finer quality paper will become the cut off for this era.

:screwy::screwy::screwy:

A comic age is defined by a new direction, a new method of storytelling, a new distribution format, a change driven by creators, or all of the above. Paper has nothing to do with it.

Like I said before, if anyone was buying comics from the mid-80's to 1990, and walked into a comic shop the day Spider-man #1 was released, there is not even a hint of a question as to when Copper ended.

In fact, I'd rate that day as the BIGGEST change ever in the history of comics. It was insane, and the comic biz was suddenly a circus, speculation was rampant, manufactured variants were all the rage, and hot artists were transformed into rock stars - which led to Image.