• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis and their grading

82 posts in this topic

I purchased an Action 242 which they graded F 6.0.

It came back from CGC as 4.5.

What really chaps my about Metro is their "click to inquire" b.s. There are two inexpensive books that I clicked on weeks ago and still nothing. I called and spoke to Frank and he told me to keep waiting for an email. I don't care how big Metro is, this practice is terrible customer service. I work for a retailer that has 10k-15k customers go through the register every week. I go out of my way to help customers who are not satisfied. You're telling me they have that many books that it takes a month to get a price on it? Ridiculous. And if they "haven't acquired the book yet" then why the hell list it on the website.

Just my 2c

I am not a dealer, and last year bought a raw FF #1 from Metrop that they graded 5.0. I submitted it and it got a 5.5 blue label. I thought 5.5 was possibly generous for the book, but did not complain. I also bought a Marvel Mystery Comics #30 from them that they graded 6.0 but I did not agree with the grading, so I sent it back and got a full refund. As a collector, I like their service and have made other purchases and have been happy with them.

FF #1

Some have said superworld over grades (by 1.0 - 0.5) but from what I have bought, they have been pretty dead on.. In fact I actually had a book they listed as VF/Nm come back from cgc as a NM-. on top of all of that, Ted is a super nice guy and will work with you on prices and also accepts returns if you are un happy) so it depends if you know what your looking for (in terms on grading) from there pics... And I have been pretty dead on with most of my CGC submission, However with Meto. I havent dealt with them before so I can't help on that. But I heard they overgrade a little and there prices are on the "high" end

Metropolis explains their grading criteria on their site.They stick pretty well to it.If you want a book that you can't find anywhere else,they probably have it.Their service is fabulous.I've returned one book over the years,completely hassle free.I've also sold to them.About a two week turn around.I have bought from superworld at shows and traded with them.I just ordered some books via mail from each and when they arrive I'll post scans of a few.One of the books from Ted is a grail book for me,a GL # 8 in VF+ :wishluck: .It's raw.Another GREAT source for books are these very boards.Some of the best books I've ever owned came from here.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think that after almost ten years of CGC we all have learned--or should have learned--never buy a high grade or key book from a dealer that is not slabbed. I, as many others, found out the hard way. When I go to a convention now I rummage through $1 boxes, $2 boxes, etc. I never buy a key book or a high grade book at a convention anymore. Been there and done that with great disappointment.

I think that after almost ten years of CGC we all have learned--or should have learned--never buy a high grade or key book from a dealer that is not slabbed. I, as many others, found out the hard way. When I go to a convention now I rummage through $1 boxes, $2 boxes, etc. I never buy a key book or a high grade book at a convention anymore. Been there and done that with great disappointment.

Well, we certainly have NOT all learned this. I, for one, enjoy buying raw books from many dealers, and use my own judgement on the appearance and preservation qualities of these books to decide whether to have them in my collection. Indeed, I have bought many an encapsulated book that, despite having an impressive numerical grade, was flawed sufficiently to be unworthy for my collection. Put another way, there are certain qualities that are vitally important to me but don't impact the CGC grade.

CGC numerical grading is not the only standard by which all books should be judged, and to suggest so is, quite frankly, ludicrous.

Well, we certainly have NOT all learned this. I, for one, enjoy buying raw books from many dealers, and use my own judgement on the appearance and preservation qualities of these books to decide whether to have them in my collection. Indeed, I have bought many an encapsulated book that, despite having an impressive numerical grade, was flawed sufficiently to be unworthy for my collection. Put another way, there are certain qualities that are vitally important to me but don't impact the CGC grade.

CGC numerical grading is not the only standard by which all books should be judged, and to suggest so is, quite frankly, ludicrous.

gees, I couldn't have said it better myself. I prefer to purchase my books raw. It gives me a chance to examine the book myself before getting it slabbed.

I don't see Metropolis much better or worse than the standard dealer when it comes to grading. If I don't agree, I return it. While I like buying from Superworld, I find they tend to be a little more unreliable. The books pricing often seems to reflect that, so I don't mind.

Overall I still purchase far far more raw than slabbed. Maybe 75 to 1. Bob Storms is one of the better graders, the best I would say is Doug Sulipa, although I don't find his stock as strong as the other two.

You can't depend on the slab either. Or else you might be in for a rude awakening when you try to pass this off as a 9.4.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Witching-Hour-47-CGC-9-4-NO-RSV_W0QQitemZ200210689686QQihZ010QQcategoryZ74QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't see Metropolis much better or worse than the standard dealer when it comes to grading. If I don't agree, I return it. While I like buying from Superworld, I find they tend to be a little more unreliable. The books pricing often seems to reflect that, so I don't mind.

Overall I still purchase far far more raw than slabbed. Maybe 75 to 1. Bob Storms is one of the better graders, the best I would say is Doug Sulipa, although I don't find his stock as strong as the other two.

You can't depend on the slab either. Or else you might be in for a rude awakening when you try to pass this off as a 9.4.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Witching-Hour-47-CGC-9-4-NO-RSV_W0QQitemZ200210689686QQihZ010QQcategoryZ74QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What a great example of unexplainable CGC grading. I see at least 9 color breaking spine ticks. looks like a solid 8.0 to me.

What a great example of unexplainable CGC grading. I see at least 9 color breaking spine ticks. looks like a solid 8.0 to me.

That's pure crazyness, and while I'd go as high as an 8.5, I'm wondering if someone played switcheroo with the label.

Your statement makes sense to me. However, there are those that love to play the game of:

I'll "out grade the pro". I suspect that some succeed in playing, I also suspect that most will fail badly over time. The most costly endeavour I can undertake is to become a professional grader. I can't imagine the time committment I would need to spend to recognize 1st class restoration? To anyone who plays the game well....Congrats. For the rest of us

it's better to know thy self.

Jay

Sold for $73.00 :o

Certification # 0908314005

Grade Date 01/22/2008

Title Witching Hour

Issue 47

Issue Date 10/74

Publisher D.C. Comics

Country

Variant

Pedigree

Category Universal

Grade 9.4

Page Quality OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

hm

That has got to be a label mistake.

A DC horror at 9.4 with six spine ticks and two of them rather large...

:eek: