• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet Another Wondercon Report Updated Day 2 With Pics

18 posts in this topic

Well I got up a little earlier than expected this morning and thought I would let all of you know how my Wondercon experience has been. I have to admit that I wasn't too excited about going this year but have been very happy on how things turned out so far, except for the fact that there weren't that many dealers here this year.

I got up yesterday morning at 4 AM to catch the red eye to San Francisco. Travel was hassle free and I even got to check into my hotel room early! (Great so far!) I made my way over to the Moscone Center and first thing I did was look for some forum members' booth. The first person I stumbled upon was Mark, Houseof comics, and we chatted for a bit while it was a bit slower at his booth. It's a good thing I had time to talk to him when I did because he was pretty busy the rest of the day. I then went to seek out Chris, CW, at his booth but he was somewhere around the con gathering signatures and making deals.

I figured I'd pick up a few things while walking around so first thing I did was seek out Terry Moore. It wasn't too busy at his booth at the time so I talked a bit with him and his wife, Robyn, about Strangers in Paradise and his new book Echo. I ended up buying this, which he gladly signed. Terry and Robyn are some of the nicest people in the industry that I have met.

DSC00515.jpg

Walked around to a few more dealers searching for the ever elusive Cerebus #3 and after asking 6 or 7 dealers I found it a Harley Yee's booth. I immediately bought it, paid just a bit over guide for the copy, and was happy that I finally completed my run.

It was about lunch time so I called Greg, batman_fan, and we met up. He introduced me to Richard, Mr. Bedrock, and Ricardo, Socratic Wonder. Richard ended up bringin me something but I didn't have the money for it at the time. He told me to pay him when I could! I couldn't believe it. I didn't feel too comfortable with that but he insisted. So this is what I got from him:

DSC00513.jpg

Richard couldn't make it for lunch so the three of us went to Mel's Diner. Of course we geeked out and discussed comics. I kinda realized what these guys spend on comics is waaaaay out of my league. lol I think the money I dropped on the Cerebus #1 that I will be getting in a few weeks could buy maybe two pages of one of their Detective Comics! :insane:

Back at the con I walked around a bit more and then decided to go back to the hotel to rest but then went back to the con a few hours later. I bought a few more comics from Mark, some Lois Lanes to be exact, and also met Jim Silke, one of my favorite pin-up artists ever! We talked about Bettie Page for awhile and I told him how much I enjoyed his books. (I was kinda acting like a little kid I think.) But ended up getting this signed by him:

DSC00512.jpg

and I bought this from an artist named Nigel Sade:

1-27-200884032AM.jpg

Nigel was a great guy and his girlfriend was pretty cool too. He reminded me of Captain Jack Sparrow and his girlfriend looks like the lead singer of The Plasmatics. Hopefully someone will know what I am talking about. His pieces are dark and this was the best one, I thought. I asked if it would be okay to post this on the Forum and he was really happy that I wanted to get his work out there. He has some great stuff.

So it was time to go to dinner and I met up with Stephen, The_Brain, and we shared a cab ride over to Gordon Biersch. There we saw divad, David, who greated us and then hugged me. :blush: For those of you who don't know me I am not a big fan of hugging, even if a woman hugs me. Probably stems from some deep seeded, dark event from my past. :P Anyway we had a drink and made our way upstairs. Everyone else started strolling in and we had a total of about 27 people there. The food was okay but the beer was fabulous and of course talking with everyone about comics and movies and other things was great. Sorry I don't have any pictures from the dinner. I forgot to take some. And one more note. Pov we'll talk more about films next time.

So it's off in a few hours to day two. I promise a lot more pictures today as I am done buying.

James

Hey James,

Great getting a chance to meet you and grab a bit to eat. I ended up snagging a few Detectives and one Jungle Action 23 (I think I am over 20 on this book). Grabbed a Yoda light saber for my son (they retail at $120 were going for $80 at the show and he LOVEs it!). Also grabbed a Wonder Women shirt for the wife. I got to talk to Marc (House of Comics) for a little while. It was great meeting Ronaldo, thank god he collects stuff I don't because I would hate having to compete with him. It was also great talking to Mr Bedrock. So much knowledge and such a great guy.

Overall I would say Wondercon has gone down hill over the years. If not for Harley(tons of great stuff), House of Comics (provides true fan material with a wide selection at an affordable price), A-1 (I always walk away with something), Terry's Comics (great selection of old stuff), and Heroes (great art and great books) I don't think there would be much in the way of comics. There was an incredible selection of artwork but most was WAY out of my price range. I couldn't really look through the stuff people had because it was way too crowded. The show has definitely moved away from comics and moved towards a more mixed media content. Tons of movies, tons of toys, tons of t-shirts, tons of custumes, and a wide selection of guests.

James, thanks for the Day One report -- sounds like from all the reports that people had a good time. I'm sorry I missed it. I'm in New Orleans right now for a conference otherwise I would have been there :frustrated::pullhair::boo:

Hopefully I'll see everyone in Chicago unless some :censored:-wit schedules a meeting that I have to attend that weekend meh

Nice pickups on the comics and art! (thumbs u

James, thanks for the Day One report -- sounds like from all the reports that people had a good time. I'm sorry I missed it. I'm in New Orleans right now for a conference otherwise I would have been there :frustrated::pullhair::boo:

Hopefully I'll see everyone in Chicago unless some :censored:-wit schedules a meeting that I have to attend that weekend meh

New Orleans? My home town. I've moved an hour east of there now.

New Orleans? My home town. I've moved an hour east of there now.

I haven't been here for several years, so I'm hoping they'll give me some downtime so I can get out and see some things! :wishluck:

Nigel was a great guy and his girlfriend was pretty cool too. I reminded me of Captain Jack sparrow and his girlfriend looks like the lead singer of The Plasmatics.

As in voice, figure, eyeliner, mohawk or strategically placed electical tape? Or was she just wielding a chainsaw? :grin:

Nigel was a great guy and his girlfriend was pretty cool too. I reminded me of Captain Jack sparrow and his girlfriend looks like the lead singer of The Plasmatics.

As in voice, figure, eyeliner, mohawk or strategically placed electical tape? Or was she just wielding a chainsaw? :grin:

No not in voice at all. She had one of the sweetest voices I have heard in awhile. She had the mohawk and make-up though and had the open shirt and may have had the electrical tape. But like I said she was a class act as was Nigel.

So here's what happened with day 2:

I waited in line to get in and had to listen to two 35 year old fanboys debating which superhero was stronger Shazam or Superman. After about 20 minutes of this I reminded them that they were just fictional characters. They rolled their eyes at me and one of them said that, "If you were a true comic lover you would understand and participate." To which I responded, "If you weren't such fanboys and didn't take this so seriously, you both would have at least kissed a woman by now." (Yeah I was in a bad mood this morning. I don't like crowds or waiting in line.)

So after I got into the hall I walked around and talked to Mark, Chris and Jason. I strolled by the booth that was showing the new Jason Statham film trailer and met these two lovely ladies.

DSC00517.jpg

They asked if I had been a bad boy. :blush: To which I replied, "Yes!" Honestly I didn't mind them cuffing and frisking me. ;)

I bought a few more Lois Lane comics and decided to get one more Signature Series comic done. I picked up a Fallen Son Sketch Cover and made my way over to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund's booth where I found Terry Moore. I made a donation to the CBLDF and Terry said he would sketch whatever I wanted, with as many characters as I wanted. I wasn't looking for the typical superhero sketch so I asked him to sketch Francine and Katchoo from Strangers in Paradise. Terry came back with this for me:

DSC00519.jpg

A CGC witness was there and it is now off getting slabbed.

The rest of the time I kicked back at CW's booth and talked to Chris and Jason and the crew there. Scott, FFB, came by and grabbed a book to get signed by Craig Flessel, who was at a panel. I decided to share a story that my very close friend Jenny told me when she called earlier that day. She works in the E/R in Houston and mentioned that some guy was admitted there the night before whose was broken by his girlfriend. Yeah we all cringed. Good times. :)

So here's what happened with day 2:

So after I got into the hall I walked around and talked to Mark, Chris and Jason. I strolled by the booth that was showing the new Jason Statham film trailer and met these two lovely ladies.

DSC00517.jpg

They asked if I had been a bad boy. :blush: To which I replied, "Yes!" Honestly I didn't mind them cuffing and frisking me. ;)

:o:banana::o

DSC00519.jpg

A CGC witness was there and it is now off getting slabbed.

That's a friggin' great sketch by Moore!

Kinda weird to see it on a Captain America book, but sweet nonetheless!

Yeah I know it's kinda weird, but I have always wanted something on one of these sketchbooks. I know if I put it up in the marketplace that it'd never sell, but that doesn't matter at all. I would never sell it anyway. :)