• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wall books in a restaurant??

63 posts in this topic

Oh is it? Maybe if the sun left more ink left on the cover, I could read it better... :makepoint:

The way to tell is MS 5 is a picture frame and he is fighting bikers, while Ghost Rider 1 he is fighting cops on the cover.

And the title "Ghost Rider" is curved on Marvel Spotlight 5 and rectangular on Ghost Rider #1....that was the first thing I noticed.

C

so he framed them that way when the books were actually worth something? i guess i see a mid-70s conan there, which came out when several of those books were already worth a chunk of change.

As for where, I'm not fessing up til I hear from the owner. I got a pretty good look at them and I don't think any are reprints.

Even with the small low-res photo, they look like the real deal - they all have prices. doh!

Good luck! I hope he'll sell.

That is still strange though, as the GRR's were exactly those 4 issues. I swear I see cover prices on the spidey, jim, not so sure on the other 2. But they are probably real (shrug)

What a tool...

Just tell him to buy a piece of mylar and cover the frame. Books look to be damaged so badly now that I don't think anything will really help.

Is mylar UV protective? I didn't think it was...

A board member did a test with one book under a mylar and another copy of it not. After exposing it to intense florescent light for several weeks there was a noticable difference in the books.

If I owned a shop I would put large sheets of mylar in my overhead light boxes.

As for where, I'm not fessing up til I hear from the owner. I got a pretty good look at them and I don't think any are reprints.

Even with the small low-res photo, they look like the real deal - they all have prices. doh!

That is still strange though, as the GRR's were exactly those 4 issues. I swear I see cover prices on the spidey, jim, not so sure on the other 2. But they are probably real (shrug)

The FF "10¢" appears to be over the blue box with the character's names on the right; the Avengers is harder to tell since it has a small "12¢" in the indicia box on the left - that one could be a GRR.

The FF "10¢" appears to be over the blue box with the character's names on the right; the Avengers is harder if to tell since it has a small "12¢" in the indicia box on the left - that one could be a GRR.

I agree on the FF, Its just strange that the only 4 "money" books are actually the only 4 GRR published. The rest of that case is borderline junk except for my manlove book (GR 1). Just make sure you check to see that they aren't doctored GRR's, which I'm sure buyer would do anyway.

What a tool...

Just tell him to buy a piece of mylar and cover the frame. Books look to be damaged so badly now that I don't think anything will really help.

Is mylar UV protective? I didn't think it was...

A board member did a test with one book under a mylar and another copy of it not. After exposing it to intense florescent light for several weeks there was a noticable difference in the books.

If I owned a shop I would put large sheets of mylar in my overhead light boxes.

hm

That's actually not a bad idea!

As for where, I'm not fessing up til I hear from the owner. I got a pretty good look at them and I don't think any are reprints. Combine that with the fact that is another frame full of common SA books and 2 more full of photo cover Dells and I think they might have been his own copies at one time. Further, the place is covered with photos and other pop related stuff on the walls. There is a horizontal frame with about 10 Simpsons comics in a nice shaded area of the place. :makepoint: The magazines and other stuff are all in decent shape since they don't get as much sunlight.

I'll post 2 more pics tonight that I took of the SA and Dell frames.

that should be interesting to see. too bad the Simpsons get the shade while the SA gets the fade.

I realize (s)he is ruining the books, but who cares? Shouldn't people be able to do whatever they want with their books? Whether it be reading them or destroying them with sunlight?

Shall we plan an early morning raid to save these poor comics and release them back into their natural habitat or is that already in the works?

Its not like they are being ruined by being trimmed. I say better on the wall then hidden away in someones vault never to be seen...

I realize (s)he is ruining the books, but who cares? Shouldn't people be able to do whatever they want with their books? Whether it be reading them or destroying them with sunlight?

Shall we plan an early morning raid to save these poor comics and release them back into their natural habitat or is that already in the works?

Its not like they are being ruined by being trimmed. I say better on the wall then hidden away in someones vault never to be seen...

(thumbs u

Yes, but I assume that as one who "wants them to be seen" they would protect them so they could be seen for a longer period of time (and in ORIGINAL INKS)

sad sad sad

My LCS has an X-men #94 that lost all the front cover color due to it being underneath a bright florescent tube. Still has the original retail price of $600 on it. :cry:

I think he sold it to me.

53546-xmen_94_front.jpg.d9e2d25a3fd9262b8baf6547aa9c6ddb.jpg

From eGerber's site

"All plastics and glass stop some UV light, so many advertise that their "Protector" blocks UV. The truth Is that they stop only some of the damaging rays. Even Mylar will not stop all UV.

Our specially Impregnated Mylar D stops 99% of the UV light. Mylar D is accepted as photo safe to direct contact and is used internationally by archives and museums."

I stand corrected. Thanks! Good to know.

My LCS has many old ones sun fading on the wall. One day I asked about purchasing the TMNT #1 (1st print). The girl tells me they are just color photocopies. But I can see that they are comics, not just comics. I ask one of the managers, who gets the ladder and pulls it down for me and tells me I can purchase it if I want. I look at it and see why I was fooled. They put color copies of the covers over old coverless guts. I was relieved and disappointed at the same time...

My entire weekend has just been ruined.

It's like watching starving babies in an old Sally Field infomercial, and wishing that if she'd just swat those flies, pass the kid her sandwhich...all would be right in the world.

It's like watching starving babies in an old Sally Field infomercial, and wishing that if she'd just swat those flies, pass the kid her sandwhich...all would be right in the world.

I hope you mean Sally Struthers.

:roflmao:

Isn't Sally Field the lady makes cookies? :)

:roflmao:

Isn't Sally Field the lady makes cookies? :)

doh!doh!