• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,966 posts in this topic

I'm a bit ticked about the Cap #100 because neither the LLC ding nor the LRC crease were on the book when they were signed by Stan in Dallas. :mad:

But I thought those would affect the grade more than they did so I'm at least happy it still got an 8.0.

really??? :o that's just inexcusable, i wouldn't even want the book anymore. do you have a scan or image of the book prior to signing? :wishluck:

I'm a bit ticked about the Cap #100 because neither the LLC ding nor the LRC crease were on the book when they were signed by Stan in Dallas. :mad:

But I thought those would affect the grade more than they did so I'm at least happy it still got an 8.0.

really??? :o that's just inexcusable, i wouldn't even want the book anymore. do you have a scan or image of the book prior to signing? :wishluck:

something should happen with this. there's more than just poor handling going on there.

Unfortunately no, I don't have a prior scan of the book. I wish I did, but I don't. So I guess you guys will just have to take my word for it.

Chandler (with Desert Wind Comics) was notified by CGC about the book and he in turn notified me. They apparently found the book with the LRC bent over (which obviously created the crease). I told them to go ahead and grade it figuring I just paid Stan $50 to have it signed (and witnessed).

The one thing that bothers me is that all of the books I had signed in Dallas were double bagged. The interior bag had a window cutout for each signature and had a backing board in it. Each book was removed from a larger (Golden Age) outer bag prior to signing. So each book never left the interior bag/board either before, during or after signing. How the hell any of the books got dropped or folded over is beyond me. (shrug)

Unfortunately no, I don't have a prior scan of the book. I wish I did, but I don't. So I guess you guys will just have to take my word for it.

Chandler (with Desert Wind Comics) was notified by CGC about the book and he in turn notified me. They apparently found the book with the LRC bent over (which obviously created the crease). I told them to go ahead and grade it figuring I just paid Stan $50 to have it signed (and witnessed).

The one thing that bothers me is that all of the books I had signed in Dallas were double bagged. The interior bag had a window cutout for each signature and had a backing board in it. Each book was removed from a larger (Golden Age) outer bag prior to signing. So each book never left the interior bag/board either before, during or after signing. How the hell any of the books got dropped or folded over is beyond me. (shrug)

Im sorry but that is just inexcusable.

Got the first two USM' back a couple weeks ago. The Ironmans and Man-thing I got back yesterday.

All were pressed by KingofRulers. The USM 112 had a lower bottom right corner crease, from poor packing, when I bought it. The USM 1 had a ton of creases on the cover, though, none were color breaking.

The Man-Thing I have had for over 30 years and was the very first #1 issue I bought as a back issue.

The Ironman #1 was all kinds of crinkled on the cover, but, almost all gone now. Bought it as a fine, but, wasn't when I got it in hand. I kept it, as the price was pretty well below what it should have cost at that grade. The Ironman #55 was bought as a VF-, so, I am happy with the bump there.

Oh yeah, sorry for the crappy scans. My scanner doesn't fit the whole slab, so, the scans are a bit crappy. Someday I'll upgrade my scanner.

112-A-1.jpg

1-E.jpg

1-14.jpg

1-13.jpg

55-1.jpg

Agreed. I had a guy at Wondercon take my beautiful raw books to be SS'd and from the get go it seemed like he was either having a bad day or didn't want to be there, texting his phone as I was giving him my books. He was very rough with them and I was not excited by the whole experience at all. The other non-SS folks that were there couldn't have been more polite or careful with my books.

Agreed. I had a guy at Wondercon take my beautiful raw books to be SS'd and from the get go it seemed like he was either having a bad day or didn't want to be there, texting his phone as I was giving him my books. He was very rough with them and I was not excited by the whole experience at all. The other non-SS folks that were there couldn't have been more polite or careful with my books.

I thought Stan didn't sign through a window bag. Folks didn't think he could always hit the right spot.

that stinks. at least CGC was generous with the 8.0 after the book got mangled. it could have easily come back a 4.5-5.0 with all that damage.