• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,958 posts in this topic

As some of you know, a buddy & I self-published a little short story called "The Ghost of Kareema-Lou". We handed them out for free at Heroes Con (and to anyone here who wanted one). I figured since I was at HC, and CGC was at HC, why not sub a few for signature series? It wasn't something we had really planned, so most of the copies were in rough (to us collectors, anyway) shape. We'd been carrying them around in backpacks and laptop bags all day, un-bagged and un-boarded...not to mention we had the darn things printed up at Kinko's, and then folded & stapled them ourselves in the hotel room the night before the con.

IMAG0131_zps8ad14c30.jpg

IMAG0129_zpsa09391c6.jpg

Our professional comic book creation station. :P

So, after a full day of wandering around the con, we hit up the CGC booth when they didn't look very busy (what was NOT the case when I had checked earlier...man, they were working like crazy!). We dumped out the copies we still had on hand and I did a quick spot check for major defects, then we picked out six, signed them, and handed 'em over..

I got them back today and couldn't be happier. The grades are only part of it, but what grades! Remember, these were hand-folded & stapled in a hotel room, then lugged around loose in bags during a con. I was expecting 7.5s, maybe.

goklcgc_zps46ebb52b.jpg

So the grades were an unexpected surprise. But, to have in my hands a slabbed book that I wrote almost gives me goosebumps. I know that any yahoo can make a comic and get it slabbed, but by golly, this one is mine! That's MY name on the yellow label :cloud9:

goklcgc1_zps27fc62af.jpg

We (Golden Hour Comics) are behind on launching "When Hell is Full", but it's coming...and having a slabbed book with my name on it next to my monitor, well, that's one hell of an impetus to shake a freakin' leg!

As some of you know, a buddy & I self-published a little short story called "The Ghost of Kareema-Lou". We handed them out for free at Heroes Con (and to anyone here who wanted one). I figured since I was at HC, and CGC was at HC, why not sub a few for signature series? It wasn't something we had really planned, so most of the copies were in rough (to us collectors, anyway) shape. We'd been carrying them around in backpacks and laptop bags all day, un-bagged and un-boarded...not to mention we had the darn things printed up at Kinko's, and then folded & stapled them ourselves in the hotel room the night before the con.

IMAG0131_zps8ad14c30.jpg

IMAG0129_zpsa09391c6.jpg

So, after a full day of wandering around the con, we hit up the CGC booth when they didn't look very busy (what was NOT the case when I had checked earlier...man, they were working like crazy!). We dumped out the copies we still had on hand and I did a quick spot check for major defects, then we picked out six, signed them, and handed 'em over..

I got them back today and couldn't be happier. The grades are only part of it, but what grades! Remember, these were hand-folded & stapled in a hotel room, then lugged around loose in bags during a con. I was expecting 7.5s, maybe.

goklcgc_zps46ebb52b.jpg

So the grades were an unexpected surprise. But, to have in my hands a slabbed book that I wrote almost gives me goosebumps. I know that any yahoo can make a comic and get it slabbed, but by golly, this one is mine! That's MY name on the yellow label :cloud9:

goklcgc1_zps27fc62af.jpg

We (Golden Hour Comics) are behind on launching "When Hell is Full", but it's coming...and having a slabbed book with my name on it next to my monitor, well, that's one hell of an impetus to shake a freakin' leg!

That... is freaking cool, Beau! I can't even imagine that feeling.

:applause:

-slym

Strange Tales 110 7/63 Marvel Comics Universal 6.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE :banana:

Strange Tales 110 7/63 Marvel Comics Universal 6.5 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE :banana:

Tales of Suspense 57 9/64 Marvel Comics Universal 4.5 LIGHT TAN TO OFF-WHITE :tonofbricks:

Tales of Suspense 40 4/63 Marvel Comics Universal 7.5 OFF-WHITE TO :banana:

IMAG0131_zps8ad14c30.jpg

IMAG0129_zpsa09391c6.jpg

goklcgc_zps46ebb52b.jpg

goklcgc1_zps27fc62af.jpg

The comic is fantastic. Congrats again on getting it printed and thanks for my copy. :applause:

IMAG0131_zps8ad14c30.jpg

IMAG0129_zpsa09391c6.jpg

goklcgc_zps46ebb52b.jpg

goklcgc1_zps27fc62af.jpg

The comic is fantastic. Congrats again on getting it printed and thanks for my copy. :applause:

+1 SO COOL!!!

Strange Tales 110 7/63 Marvel Comics Universal 6.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE :banana:

Strange Tales 110 7/63 Marvel Comics Universal 6.5 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE :banana:

Tales of Suspense 57 9/64 Marvel Comics Universal 4.5 LIGHT TAN TO OFF-WHITE :tonofbricks:

Tales of Suspense 40 4/63 Marvel Comics Universal 7.5 OFF-WHITE TO :banana:

3 out of 4 isnt bad, heck if the #57 bothers you just sale it and recoup some of the grading fees and pick up another copy later.

IMAG0131_zps8ad14c30.jpg

IMAG0129_zpsa09391c6.jpg

goklcgc_zps46ebb52b.jpg

goklcgc1_zps27fc62af.jpg

Awesome!