• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,943 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@jsilverjanet

Sucks about the "miscut"

also I wonder why they were so hard on the WW 72's.....

that's ok, the other one is perfect (wrap)

the 72s had some minor damage (stress lines etc). I didn't pay much so I'm ok with the grade

On 7/25/2017 at 11:24 PM, jsilverjanet said:

that's ok, the other one is perfect (wrap)

the 72s had some minor damage (stress lines etc). I didn't pay much so I'm ok with the grade

Weird about the mis-cut note. I subbed this one a couple years ago.

Amazing Spiderman #361c.jpg

Edited by Logan510

7 hours ago, Logan510 said:

Weird about the mis-cut note. I subbed this one a couple years ago.

Amazing Spiderman #361c.jpg

Thank you. This was might point about this book. It was never an issue (no pun intended) before. I've subbed similar copies that have not been downgraded as a result. Do you mind if I use your image?

39 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Thank you. This was might point about this book. It was never an issue (no pun intended) before. I've subbed similar copies that have not been downgraded as a result. Do you mind if I use your image?

Sure, I don't mind.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

They are going to say Casey's book was 9.9 otherwise. I know the Boards have raised my awareness of miscuts with many arguing CGC should take it into consideration more. Personally, I don't like to see allowances for production flaws on any level. A crease is a crease, a chip is a chip, no matter how it happened. 

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

They are going to say Casey's book was 9.9 otherwise. I know the Boards have raised my awareness of miscuts with many arguing CGC should take it into consideration more. Personally, I don't like to see allowances for production flaws on any level. A crease is a crease, a chip is a chip, no matter how it happened. 

I agree, but in this case CGC is changing the rules in the middle of the game. I have submitted dozens of copies with severe mis-wrap and received 9.8 on almost all of them. Moving forward, anyone who wants a signature on their 9.8 mis-wrapped copy is almost guaranteed a 9.6 if they crack the book out to get signed. 

32 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I agree, but in this case CGC is changing the rules in the middle of the game. I have submitted dozens of copies with severe mis-wrap and received 9.8 on almost all of them. Moving forward, anyone who wants a signature on their 9.8 mis-wrapped copy is almost guaranteed a 9.6 if they crack the book out to get signed. 

Everyone is assuming there was absolutely nothing else wrong with Hector's copy and it was graded 9.6 solely on the mis-wrap. Maybe that is not true, even if it was the only thing mentioned in the notes. We all know not everything is noted. Perhaps there was a small something, putting it on the fence of 9.6/9.8, and the mis-wrap tilted it to 9.6 . I do not think, going forward, we will see all mis-wraps get 9.6 . I just don't. No 'rule' changes here.

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Everyone is assuming there was absolutely nothing else wrong with Hector's copy and it was graded 9.6 solely on the mis-wrap. Maybe that is not true, even if it was the only thing mentioned in the notes. We all know not everything is noted. Perhaps there was a small something, putting it on the fence of 9.6/9.8, and the mis-wrap tilted it to 9.6 . I do not think, going forward, we will see all mis-wraps get 9.6 . I just don't. No 'rule' changes here.

Why would they state the obvious in the graders notes if it didn't adversely affect the grade?

12 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Why would they state the obvious in the graders notes if it didn't adversely affect the grade?

First off, I think they try to make the grader's notes have a little more content these days, so there is 'something' to purchase. As stated, I suspect the mis-wrap was the tilting factor, hence it was mentioned. I just don't think we should be up in arms over one example of a 9.6 with mis-wrap. We all know grading is subjective and there are a lot of factors in play. I really think all is well and nothing has changed in the 'rules'.

Why would they state it at all unless it affected the grade....BUT I could see some still getting a 9.8 idk. Maybe just not 9.9 or a 10?:shy: maybe this is different than others cause of tilt idk. I would assume they have to stand by their grade, since it has cgc on the label maybe that grader didn't feel comfortable etc. The world may never know is the more upsetting part...

I don't suppose calling will help? Why have graders notes if their "could" be something else?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/25/2017 at 6:38 PM, Michelangelo said:

Fresh from CGC 

A nice little batch of Carnage books

image.jpeg

Guys, look at this batch from above. The one example has a mis-wrap, top row far right, and still got a 9.8 .  Proving CGC is still giving 9.8's with a mis-wrap.

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Guys, look at this batch from above. The one example has a mis-wrap, top row far right, and still got a 9.8 .  Proving CGC is still giving 9.8's with a mis-wrap.

What is the difference in "miscut", as it says in the notes, and miswrap? Or are they basically the same thing? ???

22 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I had a gem mint (10.0) of that exact printing and it got ranked down to 9.6 when my individual_without_enough_empathy cousin slightly unwrapped it.

6 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I have plent of 9.6s where there are no notes 

I know. I suspect, if this book is otherwise without flaws, you will get a 9.6 on a resub. You may have simply been unlucky. All I am saying is one example does not prove anything. 

22 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Maybe you are on to something. I don't know but maybe there is a difference.

A “miscut” is a defect caused by the trimming process, where the cover or pages are not cut perfectly square.

When a book is cut or “trimmed” it goes through two separate stages of cuts. The first cut trims the right edge (side opposite of the spine), and the second stage cuts the top and bottom edge (both are trimmed simultaneously). The miscut comes as a result of the first cut on the right edge. Whatever movement the book made due to being cut from the first blade is most likely the amount of miscut that is seen from the miscut of the top and bottom edges. This movement is what gives the misalignment for the final cuts.