• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic collecting nirvana!

31 posts in this topic

What is the one book when it reached your collection represented all the reason's, passion's, and shear enjoyment that is the hobby for you!

My 'nirvana book' is Silver Surfer #4.

A book that I had easily 6 copies of, climbing the grade escalator for well over 10 years, reading, and re-reading. And finally reaching a 9.6 white page encapsulated trophy that had perfect centering, mother of pearl back cover white's, razor edge's, and made the PC 9.8 look like Spectre52 knock off!

What is the first book that will be first thrown on the pyre at your viking funeral??

Amazing Spider-Man #1. When I saw a copy on the wall at my first visit to a comicbook store, I knew that someday I would aquire a copy of it. Years later I was able to achieve my goal. Probably a 3.5 raw, it's my prize possession,

along with a Ditko Spidey panel page of OA. SA Spider-Man and FF are the reasons I started to collect comics in the first place.

Being a Byrne fan growing up.....I've always had a soft spot for MTU 53. I've owned about a dozen slabbed copies(some I submitted myself & some I bought that way). I now own only 1 copy, and have absolutely no desire to pick up another.....

1mtu53ss.jpg

Uncleben, Beyonder... :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

Thats what I talking about. Books that were with you from your very earliest day's of reading/collecting, and through the years you tracked down a 'keeper' copy.

(thumbs u

Thats what I talking about. Books that were with you from your very earliest day's of reading/collecting, and through the years you tracked down a 'keeper' copy.

(thumbs u

It would have been an ASM 136 CGC 9.6W.....but Spidey2 movie hype dragged it out of my collection.

(thumbs u

It would have been an ASM 136 CGC 9.6W.....but Spidey2 movie hype dragged it out of my collection.

lol lol doh! ...go get another!

(thumbs u

lol lol doh! ...go get another!

No need. I have scans of pretty much every book I've ever sold. I can visit them any time I want :)

QJKBK-AMAZINGSPIDER-MAN136CGC.jpg

Fantastic Four 1.

The first books I can remember reading were X-Men 1 and FF 17. From there I chased Fantastic Fours for decades, and ALWAYS FF 1 remained beyond my reach, always just too damned expensive. FINALLY in the late 1980's, I was setting up at a couple local shows, and being behind the table got me the deal I needed: a solid G Fantastic Four 1 for $500. Pride of my collection for years, it was the nex-to-last SA Marvel to fall into my grasp, the last being Strange Tales Annual 1, which I didn't own until the early 2000's.

They're all gone now, mostly sold when I was putting together a downpayment for a house, and since then the massive amount of reprint books available have filled my shelves, and I no longer feel the need to own the comics. Instead these days I'm buying Golden Age and 50's books, and enjoying them immensely.

For me, it is X-Men #1. I have owned three copies thru the years. The first one I bought raw 20 years ago signed on the first page by Jack Kirby. Years later it came back GLOD 5.5. The next copy I bought was CGC 8.0 via Pedigree. I finally topped it off with a private purchase of a sweet 9.2 last summer. Couldn't be happier. :cloud9:

For me, it is X-Men #1. I have owned three copies thru the years. The first one I bought raw 20 years ago signed on the first page by Jack Kirby. Years later it came back GLOD 5.5. The next copy I bought was CGC 8.0 via Pedigree. I finally topped it off with a private purchase of a sweet 9.2 last summer. Couldn't be happier. :cloud9:

Why a GLOD?

Why a GLOD?

Jack Kirby sig.

Why a GLOD?

Jack Kirby sig.

I can read. :baiting:

Interior signatures don't get GLODs.....

Why a GLOD?

Jack Kirby sig.

I can read. :baiting:

Interior signatures don't get GLODs.....

Maybe he asked for one to not detract from the grade.

Why a GLOD?

Staples replaced

Why a GLOD?

Staples replaced

(thumbs u

Batman #1 is my all-time favorite book. The day my first copy arrived was the highlight of my collecting life.

However, the day Action #1 "walked" into my comic store was the epitome of comic nirvana. We celebrated for days and days afterward. I had perma-grin for about a month.

In 1972, about six months after I started buying comics (I was nine) a friend's older brother gave me a flyer for the HCCA (Houston Comic Collectors Assn.) monthly meeting.

Held the third Tuesday of every month in downtown Houston, the HCCA was like a small mini-con get together of local fans.

My dad drove a friend and I down there and one of the first books I saw was an old Captain Marvel with him being chased by a Japanese Zero.

I had never seen golden age before and that WWII comic looked awfully cool, but $15 was a lot of dough.

It always stuck with me though, and years later...

captainmarvel17.jpg