• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Japanese Monster Fanzines

23 posts in this topic

Back in the day, I was big into anything and all things Godzilla. That grew into an appreciation way beyond Godzilla and for the wonderful 50s & 60s Japanese science fiction and fantasy films -- such as GORATH, H-MAN, BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE, ATRAGON, THE MYSTERIANS, etc.

Here are some early 70's issues of the JAPANESE FANTASY FILM JOURNAL. They contain some great fan art/articles, reviews, etc.

Bill

JFFJ_06.jpg

JFFJ_07.jpg

JFFJ_08.jpg

JFFJ_09.jpg

JFFJ_10.jpg

JFFJ_13.jpg

JFFJ_14.jpg

COOL! Thanks for sharing, I've never seen any of those before. I was a big Godzilla fan myself when I was young.

Same here. I loved Godzilla and can remember seeing, Godzilla vs The Smog Monster, at the movies, when it first came out. :cloud9:

I first saw these films on the 4:30 movie here in NY. I do remember seeing Godzilla vs Megalon in the theater. Its really more of a thrill to see these big rubber-suit guys on the big screen!

Back in the day, I was big into anything and all things Godzilla.

I'm still a Godzilla fan. :blush:

I introduced my 10 year old nephew to Godzilla at Christmas when we watched the original Japanese version of "Invasion of the Astro Monsters" -- subtitles and all. :o

There are quite a few cheap versions of the Godzilla movies -- ones that are "Full Frame" and only with the English dubbed voices. The set below offers high quality original and dubbed versions in addition to interesting supplemental materials about the creators.

link

I introduced my 10 year old nephew to Godzilla at Christmas when we watched the original Japanese version of "Invasion of the Astro Monsters" -- subtitles and all. :o

There are quite a few cheap versions of the Godzilla movies -- ones that are "Full Frame" and only with the English dubbed voices. The set below offers high quality original and dubbed versions in addition to interesting supplemental materials about the creators.

link

Yup. I still keep an interest in the Big G. Those CLASSIC MEDIA videos are probably the best US versions made to date - I just love the commentary on those.

You should (if you havent already) check out the Toho releases from MEDIA BLASTERS (aka TOKYO SHOCK). Atragon, Mysterians, Frankenstein Conquers the World. Great stuff!

That's the one with Ghidrah, right?

King Kong Vs. Godzilla is still one of my favorites... :cloud9:

I am huge fan of Godzilla myself. I have a bunch of G-Fan magazines still.

And I had this commissioned:

Godzilla King of the Monsters

godzillsteve.jpg

Awesome commission! :headbang:

The head trophies are great. It alludes to quite a few Godzilla movies and tells a clear story. There is a little nod to Predator there too, in terms of the sport of the hunt and kill. The toothpick is a nice touch.

Yes, it's the one with King Ghidrah. These arrive arrive in a couple days -- they were finally priced cheap enough for me. Some of these are the 90s version, of which I've seen just one but figured I try a few of the others.

# 1 of: Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla II

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

# 1 of: Godzilla - Tokyo S.O.S.

# 1 of: Godzilla - Final Wars

# 1 of: King Kong Vs Godzilla/King Kong Escapes

# 1 of: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla

link

Yup. I still keep an interest in the Big G. Those CLASSIC MEDIA videos are probably the best US versions made to date - I just love the commentary on those.

You should (if you havent already) check out the Toho releases from MEDIA BLASTERS (aka TOKYO SHOCK). Atragon, Mysterians, Frankenstein Conquers the World. Great stuff!

Already have Atragon and Mysterians. :grin:

The Frankenstein monster design never appealed to me but maybe I'll give that a shot when I finish viewing the ones arriving this week.

I can't imagine you won't enjoy it. The DVD looks great, and the subtitled "International" version has the downbeat ending with the Giant Devilfish.

I missed the 50% off sale Amazon had on those later Godzilla titles Sony put out. Kept meaning to order but didn't get to it.

Oh, I agree. WOTG is one of the best Japanese monster films. It really creeped me out when I watched it as a kid... The scene where the Green Gargantua eats the singing lady haunted me for years..Brrrr.

Oh, I agree. WOTG is one of the best Japanese monster films. It really creeped me out when I watched it as a kid... The scene where the Green Gargantua eats the singing lady haunted me for years..Brrrr.

That was a cool scene! Another that sticks out in my mind are those lasers cutting down the tops of the trees while firing at the Gargantua in the forest, I thought that was so cool as a kid!

Also this movie lived up to it's name as they really did slug it out "War style"! (thumbs u

That movie haunted me as a kid. I remember dreaming about them destroying the houses right outside my window. It will be fun to watch this again when it comes out on DVD.

Monster nostalgia. :cloud9: