• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder Bread?

124 posts in this topic

With WonderBread you can put a little elbow grease into it... ;)

I've heard books can get yeast infections from this! :grin:

:jokealert:

Only the ones with GGA... :eek:

With WonderBread you can put a little elbow grease into it... ;)

I've heard books can get yeast infections from this! :grin:

:jokealert:

Only the ones with GGA... :eek:

:signfunny:

It has been tried and suggested that using white wonderbread can clean dirt off covers. The main way to use it is to roll up a slice into a doughy ball and gently rub off the dirt (use on white areas only).

I would suggest using a white art eraser instead if you were going to do this, as you woud get a better result and would have no oily residue left from the bread.

White Art Eraser..Works fantastic!!

Work it very slowly and rub towards the edges. Stay away from the colored areas as it will smudge the inks.

I tried that once and lost gloss. It was very evident. Did you loose any gloss when you tried this?

No I rubbed very lightly!!! took a LOT of patience!!

Practice on some cheapies first :hi:

Exactly! A light touch is needed as well as keeping the eraser clean.

After using the eraser over and over it can get dirty and smooth/shiny.

I simply rub the dirty end of the art eraser on my jeans to clean the end,

this also gives a rougher nap to the eraser and makes it easier to pick up any dirt with less pressure.

Not rocket science, but it works. (thumbs u

Thanks for adding that. Keeping the eraser clean is paramount. I usually wipe it clean on the kitchen table. Keeps my jeans clean, and gives the little woman something to yell at me about. (tsk)

Is all of this rubbing and erasing ethical? Not trying to start any mess.

It's called "dry cleaning," and some would argue it should be disclosed.

:whistle:

Which answers my previous question. And now, ill just keep my comics dirty. I dont want my comics thought of as restored .

It has been tried and suggested that using white wonderbread can clean dirt off covers. The main way to use it is to roll up a slice into a doughy ball and gently rub off the dirt (use on white areas only).

I would suggest using a white art eraser instead if you were going to do this, as you woud get a better result and would have no oily residue left from the bread.

White Art Eraser..Works fantastic!!

Work it very slowly and rub towards the edges. Stay away from the colored areas as it will smudge the inks.

I tried that once and lost gloss. It was very evident. Did you loose any gloss when you tried this?

No I rubbed very lightly!!! took a LOT of patience!!

Practice on some cheapies first :hi:

Exactly! A light touch is needed as well as keeping the eraser clean.

After using the eraser over and over it can get dirty and smooth/shiny.

I simply rub the dirty end of the art eraser on my jeans to clean the end,

this also gives a rougher nap to the eraser and makes it easier to pick up any dirt with less pressure.

Not rocket science, but it works. (thumbs u

Thanks for adding that. Keeping the eraser clean is paramount. I usually wipe it clean on the kitchen table. Keeps my jeans clean, and gives the little woman something to yell at me about. (tsk)

You guys were successful, I'm still a bit gun shy. Keeping them in Mylar and buffered boards

will work for me for now.

Is this detectable? Do these comics come back with blue labels?

-William

CGC does not consider dry cleaning to be "restoration." However, if you rub too hard and take off gloss or ink, then it's just damaged and dinged accordingly.

-William

CGC does not consider dry cleaning to be "restoration." However, if you rub too hard and take off gloss or ink, then it's just damaged and dinged accordingly.

Thanks!

-William

Dry cleaning huh? I might be off base but isn't "cover cleaning" restoration? Dry cleaning/cover cleaning, sounds the same to me. (shrug) Enlighten me .

Dry cleaning is not considered restoration by CGC. That decision certainly stems, at least in part, from an inability to definitively detect dry cleaning in every case.

Wet cleaning is considered restoration, and typically involves disassembly and reassembly of the book.

Dry cleaning is not considered restoration by CGC. That decision certainly stems, at least in part, from an inability to definitively detect dry cleaning in every case.

Wet cleaning is considered restoration, and typically involves disassembly and reassembly of the book.

Thats informative. Is there any type of list of cgc's grading criteria ?

If only... :frustrated:

If only... :frustrated:

:kidaround: <--- 3 graders ?

Wet or Dry, cleaning a cover is cleaning a cover.