• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian comic list

7 posts in this topic

Thanks for the reference. I remember years ago a fellow named (I believe) Gideon Steinberg put out a comic book size and style list of Canadian comics. There was also the Canadian Comic Book Encyclopia which I believe was written by John Bell and published by Mark Shainblum.

Check that-- it wasn't Gideon Steinberg. He put out Canadian Comic Cavalcade. I don't know the name of the other guy but his guide was called, "Introduction to Canadian Comics" and it preceded Mark's encyclopedia, though I am sure that it didn't influence it.

Thanks for the reference. I remember years ago a fellow named (I believe) Gideon Steinberg put out a comic book size and style list of Canadian comics. There was also the Canadian Comic Book Encyclopia which I believe was written by John Bell and published by Mark Shainblum.

Just bought that book and the list had tons of books that were missing. It mentions a volume #2 but I'm not sure it was ever printed?

I am all but certain that Mark never published a volume two. John Bell recently came out with a book, and I don't know who published it, and it may be called "Invaders from the North". It came out in the last year or so. I really don't know John and I certainly haven't asked him about it, but it may be what was once Encyclopedia Volume Two. I saw the book at "City Books" on the Danforth and in Steve Lipson's collection.

I actually I recently bought the "Invaders from the North" and it is a good read but I wish they had more pictures of different issues for references purposes. I think its clear that a lot of this stuff, even what issues were printed, is still a bit of a mystery which adds to the lure of collecting these books, at least for me. I defintely think someone like Stephen could be a huge asset if someone ever decided to do an updated version/book on this stuff. I think I have 16 Canadian Timley prints in my collection with about 8 more to track down. Some of this stuff is impossible to find and a few issues I picked up in the oddest places.