• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pittsburgh Comicon - April 25 thru 27, 2008

34 posts in this topic

I haven't seen an update in a while (maybe the former promoter being tried for murder has something to do with this), but so far as I know the Pittsburgh Comicon is still scheduled for April 25 thru 27, 2008. Looks like a pretty good list of guests. http://www.pittsburghcomicon.com

Prior Updates

From 9/2007:

Greetings and Salutation My Comicon Compadres, We at Comicon Headquarters are primed and ready to bring the 15th installment of the Pittsburgh Comicon to ‘The Burgh!’ April 25th, 26th and 27th, 2008. Last week the first wave of guests was put up on the Comicon Website and more will be going up by the first of next week.

• The first wave includes some guests that couldn’t make it last year but are back on board for 2008, including:

Jimmy Palmiotti (Jonah Hex, Countdown)

Amanda Conner (Green Arrow/Black Canary Wedding Special) and Ethan Van Sciver (Green Lantern:The Sinestro Corps.) • Some guests we haven’t seen in a while, but are returning for our 15th Anniversary, including:

Jamal Igle (Countdown-The Search for Ray Palmer:Crime Syndicate) Legendary Marvel Artist - Sal Buscema Master Illustrator - Michael Kaluta • Some guests are making their First Appearance in Pittsburgh, including:

Ghost Rider creator, Gary Friedrich

Classic Marvel Artist, Herb Trimpe

and

Legendary EC Artist and Writer, Al Feldstein

• Plus we have plenty of returning favorites on tap for 2008, including:

Joe Linsner (Dark Ivory)

Eva Hopkins (Dark Ivory)

David Mack (Kabuki)

Arthur Suydam (Marvel Zombies)

Tim Truman (Conan / Grimjack)

Bob Almond (Quasar)

Pat Olliffe (52 Aftermath:The Four Horsemen) Scott McDaniel (Countdown:Arena) Billy Tucci (Shi / Sgt. Rock) Joe Jusko (Comic Painter) Talent Caldwell (Countdown / Wildcats:Armageddon) and two first timers from last year, Mike Grell and Alex Saviuk, had so much fun in 2007 they were first in line to sign up for 2008.

Check out www.pittsburghcomicon.com for a full list of guests, and check back next week for the second wave of guest announcements as well as a first look a some of our Make-A-Wish Items for 2008!

We have some surprises in store for our 15th Anniversary Celebration so keep watching the website and I'll do my best to keep you informed of all the developments for Pittsburgh Comicon 2008.

Patrick A. Thomas

Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon

Pittsburgh Comicon

April 25, 26, 27, 2008

Pittsburgh Expomart - Monroeville, PA

www.pittsburghcomicon.com

pittsburghcomicon@adelphia.net

1002 Graham Ave.

Windber, PA 15963

814-467-4116

814-467-4416

Visit http://www.pittsburghcomicon.com for more!

From 10/2007:

Greetings Pitt-Con Pals,

I wanted to let you know about some recent exciting additions to Pittsburgh Comicon 2008.

Artist Michael Golden will be making his first appearance in ‘The Burgh’ in April. This artist’s artist, best know for his detailed pencil work on 'Nam, the Micronauts, G.I. Joe, Dr. Strange and a host of covers throughout the comic industry, is excited to meet and greet all of his fans at the Pittsburgh Comicon. Rumor has it the Michael and Tommy Castillo have something special in the works for the 2008 Pittsburgh Comicon.

Setting up for the first time in The Steel City is Zenescope Entertainment. The innovative publisher of such titles as Grimm Fairy Tales, Return to Wonderland, and Se7en is looking to make a big splash at the 2008 Show. Keep watching the website for announcements on the Zenescope guests set to attend.

We have a slew of exciting guests in the works for our 15th Anniversary so keep checking www.pittsburghcomicon.com for more updates.

Talk to you all again soon,

Patrick A. Thomas

Marketing Director Pittsburgh Comicon

Pittsburgh Comicon

April 25, 26, 27, 2008

Pittsburgh Expomart - Monroeville, PA

www.pittsburghcomicon.com

pittsburghcomicon@adelphia.net

1002 Graham Ave.

Windber, PA 15963

814-467-4116

814-467-4416

Visit http://www.pittsburghcomicon.com for more!

This was a post on the yahoo groups made sometime last year by the marketing director:

Hey guys just a short note. I was talking to Renee and told her about the discussions here. She asked me to thank you for your support and to let you know that the Con is booked 3 years in advance and it will go on. She indicated that even if she and Mike aren't able to be there that their staff who has been helping to run things for the past 15 years would take care of things just fine.

If Mike George still benefits from this show financially, I would seriously have to consider not purchasing a ticket. It seems that many fans will have a moral dilemma? And, does an artist, dealer, celebrity really want to support a convicted murderer by making an appearance? 2c

If Mike George still benefits from this show financially, I would seriously have to consider not purchasing a ticket. It seems that many fans will have a moral dilemma? And, does an artist, dealer, celebrity really want to support a convicted murderer by making an appearance? 2c

It's an interesting question that's complicated in that whatever profits are made go not only to Michael George but also his family, in particular his kids. I don't know about the wife's involvement - she hasn't been charged but she may have had some prior suspicions.

It's an interesting question that's complicated in that whatever profits are made go not only to Michael George but also his family, in particular his kids. I don't know about the wife's involvement - she hasn't been charged but she may have had some prior suspicions.

I truly feel sorry for the children, but I wouldn't feel right contributing to the success of this show under the current circumstances.

I heard through the grape vine that Michael Turner is scheduled to be there as well!!

The odds are next to zero that Turner will be at that show. He is not doing well physically right now and can't imagine he will be going to that show. He basically can't travel for a long plane ride right now, so I don't see him at Pittsburgh.

Really a sad thing. Hopefully things will turn around for him.

I truly feel sorry for the children, but I wouldn't feel right contributing to the success of this show under the current circumstances.

He sure has a lot of apologists for him at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pittscomicon/ . Probably a bunch of co-workers and regular customers from his store.

I don't know yet whether I'm going this year. It's not a question of patronizing the event - as I see it, justice is served and he will spend the rest of his days in prison, so whether proceeds go to him is moot as he will not be able to use the money.

Well, the current wife was having relations with Mike around the time of the murder. And, they moved in together before grass was growing on the dead wife's grave. This is definitely in very poor form and speaks volumes in itself.

Ladies and gentlemen, Detroit Mike. He will be here all week, please remember to tip your wait staff and try the veal. Hey Detroit Mike, why don't you tell all of us about how you were a 'close' friend of Barbara George, as you testified. Or better yet, tell us what you failed to testify about, that being the truth. Even better, speaking of 'moral dilemmas', tell the folks on this board about your 'research' of Mike and Barbara's youngest daughter starting with her MySpace page. What was your reason again, because she looked so much like her Mother? You know, I am not a person that normally flames someone on a board, but this freak is costing innocent fans, dealers, and professionals opportunities, just because he needs to feel important. Regardless of the outcome in Michigan, and it is very far from over, the Pittsburgh Comicon has nothing to do with it. I encourage anyone that has an interest in comics and the comic arts to attend. What this show has done for the Make-A-Wish Foundation and other charities is not a reflection of Michael George and what he may or may not have done, it is a reflection of the spirit of those fans and professionals that are willing to give of their time and money to support these charities, be it Make-A-Wish, the CLBDF, or the Hero Inititative. All "Detroit Mike' is doing in spewing his 'opinions' is robbing these institutions of that spirit. I whole-heartedly support Detroit Mike's right to have and publish his opinion, I would give my life to defend that right, but I also have the right to show his opinion is flawed.

I will be at the show working at the CGC booth. I'm driving down from Toronto with two friends tomorrow afternoon and Scott, Bill and Matt are flying up from Sarasota. We will be accepting books from all tiers for take-home submissions and I will be on hand to handle any Signature Series requests.

This is CGC's only stop in this area over the calendar year.

I've attended the show many times over the last decade, and I've always found it to be an enjoyable show, very charity-centric with a big emphasis on the Make-A-Wish Foundation and the Hero Initiative.

I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar faces... Mike Grell, Ron Frenz, Mike Kaluta, Pat Olliffe, Linsner, Francis and Agnes, Richard and Nancy, Jim Balent, Talent, Billy Tucci, Mike Golden, Tex and Renee and many others. After the stress of the New York Con last weekend it should be a much more relaxed event. Should be a good time.

Ladies and gentlemen, Detroit Mike. He will be here all week, please remember to tip your wait staff and try the veal. Hey Detroit Mike, why don't you tell all of us about how you were a 'close' friend of Barbara George, as you testified. Or better yet, tell us what you failed to testify about, that being the truth. Even better, speaking of 'moral dilemmas', tell the folks on this board about your 'research' of Mike and Barbara's youngest daughter starting with her MySpace page. What was your reason again, because she looked so much like her Mother? You know, I am not a person that normally flames someone on a board, but this freak is costing innocent fans, dealers, and professionals opportunities, just because he needs to feel important. Regardless of the outcome in Michigan, and it is very far from over, the Pittsburgh Comicon has nothing to do with it. I encourage anyone that has an interest in comics and the comic arts to attend. What this show has done for the Make-A-Wish Foundation and other charities is not a reflection of Michael George and what he may or may not have done, it is a reflection of the spirit of those fans and professionals that are willing to give of their time and money to support these charities, be it Make-A-Wish, the CLBDF, or the Hero Inititative. All "Detroit Mike' is doing in spewing his 'opinions' is robbing these institutions of that spirit. I whole-heartedly support Detroit Mike's right to have and publish his opinion, I would give my life to defend that right, but I also have the right to show his opinion is flawed.

and you are? (shrug)