• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pittsburgh Comicon - April 25 thru 27, 2008

34 posts in this topic

If Mike George still benefits from this show financially, I would seriously have to consider not purchasing a ticket. It seems that many fans will have a moral dilemma? And, does an artist, dealer, celebrity really want to support a convicted murderer by making an appearance? 2c

How exactly does Mike benefit from this Detroit Mike? I mean hes in jail. But don't the vendor and artist benefit more from this, not to mention the fans. But his family will get the money from it. Which most likely will go to legal fees. Remember he still has appeals coming up. But from what I've heard allot of the prosecutions "proof" was circumstancial. So I expect to see him home with his family with the year. But instead of trying to bring the Pittsburgh ComiCon down, be a little more supportive. I think its more important to go this year more than any other. That way Mike's family will know that we're (fans, pros, and vendors) there for them. I still don't see the moral dilemma you've spoke of.

Will

Mega City Tours

If Mike George still benefits from this show financially, I would seriously have to consider not purchasing a ticket. It seems that many fans will have a moral dilemma? And, does an artist, dealer, celebrity really want to support a convicted murderer by making an appearance? 2c

How exactly does Mike benefit from this Detroit Mike? I mean hes in jail. But don't the vendor and artist benefit more from this, not to mention the fans. But his family will get the money from it. Which most likely will go to legal fees. Remember he still has appeals coming up. But from what I've heard allot of the prosecutions "proof" was circumstancial. So I expect to see him home with his family with the year. But instead of trying to bring the Pittsburgh ComiCon down, be a little more supportive. I think its more important to go this year more than any other. That way Mike's family will know that we're (fans, pros, and vendors) there for them. I still don't see the moral dilemma you've spoke of.

Will

Mega City Tours

Are the George's planning to be available at the show?

Well, if they can't be bothered to show up, there's really no reason to be supportive of them.

That having been said, I do plan to go to the show so I can drop off some books with CGC and meet some artists. I doubt I'll be buying much if any comics.

Wow, this show was so dead on Saturday. Not too many of the paying public, few comic book vendors, and a number of guests were no shows, including Conner, Palmiotti, Grell, and Gonzalez. It must have been murder for the organizer; I wonder whether he had insurance.

In addition to a few dollar bin books, I did pick up a couple of sketches:

Eric Basaldua

ebas08.jpg

Scott James

james08.jpg

Wow, this show was so dead on Saturday. Not too many of the paying public, few comic book vendors, and a number of guests were no shows, including Conner, Palmiotti, Grell, and Gonzalez. [

That's sad to hear. This show needs to take a new direction. I'll be going Sunday to see a few dealer friends and look for a few bargains.

Since many of the guests you mentioned (Palmiotti, Conner, Trimpe) had cancelled before the show had started and the information had been posted around the net their absence was a surprise to few. The true disappointment was Michael Wm. Kaluta who was not announced before the show dates.

I would concur that things were very quiet --- on Friday. Saturday's attendance was decent and the room was busy. I certainly found it no worse than last year's Saturday. There were certainly fewer dealers than in previous years, but there seemed to be more artists and exhibitors (non-dealers such as schools and libraries) ready to take their place. Things were very quiet this morning, and I left for home before lunch.

On the Signature Series front, all guests were accessible and we had a complete success rate. Popular guests for SS were Buscema, Frenz, Suydam, DeFalco, and EBas. Witnesses that were at the show included Chandler and Sharon, Willie Wong and Carlos Camara.

If you were looking for cheap trades, hardcovers and back issues for $1, this was definitely the show for you. One vendor was selling decent and recent Marvel and DC hardcovers and trades for 1/2 cover and was doing very well. I ended up buying about 6 hardcovers off of them (the Death and Return of Superman Omnibus, Moon Knight Vol. 2, Avengers: The Initiative Vol. 1, Hulk: The End, X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills and Batman: False Faces). Many people I knew who made the trek down left with boxes of recent back issues they had purchased for $1 or less. I also found a vendor selling 1/2 price Valiant and I snagged some nice-looking copies of Unity 1 Gold, Turok 1 Gold and X-O Manowar 1/2 for about $20 combined. I also found a really nice copy of Hulk 300 for Sal to sign for me. I didn't bring many hardcovers to get signed other than The Very Best of Marvel Comics (which I had Frenz and Buscema sign) and the Black Cat/Wolverine: Claws hardcover for Linsner.

On a side note: As I was flipping thru the sketchbook section of the Claws hardcover I was somewhat surprised to see that one of the Linsner Black Cat sketches I have up in my CAF (done in 2003) had been printed there. Wish someone had told me! Guess I can update that sketch to being published art now.

On the original art side of things, there were still penty of people to see and get sketches from and I did see quite a few people getting Fallen Son and Secret Invasion cover sketches. After spending in Toronto and New York I had little left to spend on OA but I did get a nice Spider-Man head sketch by Sal Buscema at the Hero Initiative and a nice color Black Canary commission from Dave Hoover. The guests that seemed to attract a lot of attention were EBas, Jim Balent, Scott McDaniel, and Buscema. My friend Peter F. certainly enjoyed himself and walked off with a lot of great sketches and pages.

Well, if they can't be bothered to show up, there's really no reason to be supportive of them.

That having been said, I do plan to go to the show so I can drop off some books with CGC and meet some artists. I doubt I'll be buying much if any comics.

I didn't they weren't showing up, don't twist my words. I said I didn't know. I don't the Georges personally.

Will

I didn't they weren't showing up, don't twist my words. I said I didn't know. I don't the Georges personally.

Will

I was there and the Renee & family were at the show greeting people right from the start of set up on Thurs. They were available to talk to at any time.

And......Kevin's assessment was correct. Friday was a slow day but Sat was quite busy....probably more so than last year!

And as far as your purchase of 1/2 off Valiants Kevin....if you got 'em from the comic guy in the back away from all the other comic dealers then..... :hi: