• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help verifying dealer grade - Hulk 104 POLL

Smelly Hulk 104  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Smelly Hulk 104

19 posts in this topic

so i'm still plodding (rebagging, reboarding & grading) my way through boxes of pretty sweet 12 cent Marvels that i've accumulated over the years and i keep coming across one dealer that has really piqued my interest.

all of his books came in beautiful squared-off hard plastic cases (toploading) with custom made stickers.

they have many similar characteristics, but the main one is the smell. it's that very old comic smell that has "turned". not sure how else to describe it...

Here's a perfect example and i would much love to see what the board concensus is on the actual grade via this Poll; (you might care to comment on what you thought the dealer graded it at..........)

some quick comments; There a bit of a spine roll starting, an inch and a half bend and a 1/2 inch bend URC, at least dirt and maybe rust on lower staple, 1 inch corner scrunch LLC, 1inch corner bend LRC, much of front cover was used as a cushion under a memo and the words and numbers have left deep impressions that can be read, strange stain over the "O" in Rhino, and, lastly, a 3 inch corner bend URC back cover.

Hulk008.jpg

Hulk009.jpg

I'd say it's a mid-grade book, that looks a bit better because most of the wear is NCB...but the various corner bends and the small stain make me think 7.0+ would be a tough crawl. Even the spine, while not bad, does have some NCB rumpling in the middle.

I'd guess 6.0, maybe a weak 6.5. Dealer probably called it VF or VF-.

OK, after 24 votes the concensus was a numerical 6.4. so 6.5 would have been the "correct" grade and anything from a 7.0 down to a 6.0 would seem to be a reasonably acceptable grade.

Well, this Smelly old Hulk #104 was graded by the dealer as a VF/NM 9.0...... :insane:

I bought virtually all of my non OO books as "groups" so I didn't pay 9.0 price by virtue of the books being packaged, but this is apparently what the dealer was selling it as a solo book. :o

I'll slip in another one or two over the next few days for grins and giggles........... :grin:

BTW, i'll be listing it as a 6.0...........

with 28 votes and counting, the numerical average grade is now down to 6.3.

at 6.5 the dealer overgraded by 5 grades............. :o

Did you put a time limit for voting? :makepoint:

I woulda gone with 6.0.

He called it a 9.0? lol

with 28 votes and counting, the numerical average grade is now down to 6.3.

at 6.5 the dealer overgraded by 5 grades............. :o

Did you put a time limit for voting? :makepoint:

I woulda gone with 6.0.

He called it a 9.0? lol

Aces - i had a 3 day limit on voting and wound up with a grand total of 30 votes which averagd out to a 6.3. The dealer had it beautifully slabbed with a sticker that graded it a 9.0............ :o and trust me, the scan hides many of the defects.

I have one other that may prove interesting, as well.................

Is a 6.0 for me. By the way is the upper right front cover bend color touched? It kind of looks that way for me....

By the way, the smell you are referring to is typically from places that housed smokers...

Artboy99

Is a 6.0 for me. By the way is the upper right front cover bend color touched? It kind of looks that way for me....

By the way, the smell you are referring to is typically from places that housed smokers...

Artboy99

i pulled it out and inspected it again. there's certainly no bleed-through of any kind. i think the two URC creases just didn't break color...................