• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First look at the Watchmen Characters...

49 posts in this topic

I didn't say he did. I don't know if he'd been hired before or after the -script was completed, but I'm sure he was at least involved with rewrites, even if not credited.

The -script, basic take, and any revamps were done and signed off before Snyder came on, and believe me, if that guy wrote a single word, he'd get a credit. :insane:

And my point, which you glossed over, is that he DID co-write 300. :makepoint:

I've developed scripts with producers who provided lots of input without ever intending to take any credit whatsoever. I'm sure directors do the same. Snyder must have made some modifications because Hayter's draft had updated the story to 2005, but Snyder announced in San Diego last year that the story would take place in that 80s, as in the original GN.

Well, seriously, even if you took the Black Freighter stuff and the text excerpt stuff out of the series, how many pages would you be looking at? 200? 250? How the heck could they ever get all of it in there, even in 120 minutes?

Hayter's first draft was 136 pages.

I don't mind how they look.

I don't either. I look forward to the inevitable Zack Snyder/Watchmen panel at Comic-Con.

me too.

I'm going to throw my lot in with the minority here and agree. I think the costumes look fine!

I am, however, not surprised we're not seeing Dr. Manhattan. They could probably get the makeup artist that did Mystique in the X-Men movies to manage it.

I don't hold out much hope for it, especially after the fiasco that was Constantine - but I'll go and see it anyway, even if the reviews slate it.

Trouble with the Watchmen GN is that you needed to be at least a little bit conversant with super-hero comic convention to get it...the makers of this film will assume that the audience knows hardly anything about super-hero comics, and dumb down accordingly.

I think, and I HOPE, they are making a comment on the superhero movies, not the comics. Batman and Robin has become the biggest joke in comic movies with the nipples and the muscular armor. I first saw these pictures and BR came to mind. Watchmen the GN was deconstructing comics, it makes sense if the Watchmen the movie is deconstructing superhero movies.

If the movie is true to the SPIRIT of the comic, we will have a scene where Nite Owl takes off the suit and he isn't muscular, but overweight. If badguys knew Michael Keaton was behind the mask, they wouldn't be scarred.

With these pictures, we are seeing just about all the realizations of the bad parts of comic book movies. I hope for the movies sake, these costumes are making a point about the costumes of comic book movies and how ridiculous they look at times. Like any movie that is still one year away, I will reserve judgment.