• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Amazing Spider-man #50 a sought after book?

Spidey #50 popularity reasons  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Spidey #50 popularity reasons

37 posts in this topic

I think initially it was the cover, which was innovative at the time!!!!

But all the other reasons ring true as well, the least reason would be that it's the 50th issue.

I think when it first came out the Kingpin was not such a big deal!!! But his legend now is as big as his physical size!!!!

By the way this NOT the first time Spidey called it quits!!! Remember #18!!!!

By the way this NOT the first time Spidey called it quits!!! Remember #18!!!!

True - but he only quit for about a page and a half at the very end of the book.

In 50, he honestly gives it up, including throwing his costume in a public trash can - until the security guard reminds him of Uncle Ben and he saves him.

Classic, classic, classic cover. The story is pretty solid too-- FAR better than storyline in 100 (same "I hate my job" arc but not done as well IMO). 1st appearance of a relatively significant villain doesn't hurt in the least bit either. These were my primary reasons for placing this on my must-have list.

Kingpin never really was all that much until Frank Miller's Daredevil run,while Spidey 50 was a semi-key long before,so I'm going to say a combination of the cover,the story and it being the 50th issue. That was a big anniversary back then.

Back then,the big issues seemed to be 1,39,50, 96-98(Non-code approved) 100 and 121-122. Issue 14 didn't really break out from the surrounding issues until much later. Same with 129. I remember the issue with The Prowler had a big following for awhile,as I recall. The Black Widow and Surfer issues,as well.

From a self confessed Spidy phob...actually the real ones are fine by me, this cover is an automatic standout.

How did it fare in the SA cover comp...it had to be in the top 3, easily (shrug)

Actually I'd be hard pressed to think of a cover over SS #4 that would beat this book to the no.2 spot.

....I'm talking cover appeal as no one has voted for the story so far... :sorry: