• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are prices for OA about to cool?

17 posts in this topic

Before I was into OA, I was very much into comic books. Then the speculator boom hit (roughly, as I remember, from the mid-'80s to the mid-'90s), collectible comic book prices went through the roof...and then the speculators went away. They'd never been into comic books, only the books potential profit-margin. And, when the speculators bailed, prices dumped.

A decade later, comic book prices have recovered. But, say, during the year 2000, there were a lot of bargains to be had. Now, with OA prices commanding Krazy money, I wonder if we've got a new wave of money-hunters in the house.

In this month's Smart Money magazine, their cover article is on "What to do with $100,000?" They ask their readers if they might want to consider buying a second home, bumping up their portfolios or...investing in comic book art. They then write: Want to roll the dice on lower-priced (art)work? The best value lies in emerging genres -- and few of those are hotter than comic art. Then the magazine goes on to explain why this is such a hot, emerging genre...and, I can't help it, it all seemed to smack of the 1985-95 comic book explosion/implosion.

I know what you're asking yourself: Why exactly is a guy like Hal reading Smart Money magazine? But also consider: Are prices approaching a bubble and being fed by short-term speculators?

I don't see them cooling, they are getting worse if you ask me. I'm close to be priced out of anything halfway decent.

I've been thinking about what will happen if the economy continues to sour. The guy/gal who can afford to drop $30,000 - $100,000 on comic art without blinking an eye probably won't be affected as much as the average Joe. People in the upper income bracket who are looking to invest during a bear market may jump on the OA bandwagon.

To sum it up - the better pieces may continue to escalate in price, while the B grade and less desirable items may take a dip.

Of course, that just may be Krazy talk!

Bill

its not going to implode yesterday, today or tomorrow. Prices are going to keep going up and up and up until there's nothing left for small peanuts.

its not going to implode yesterday, today or tomorrow. Prices are going to keep going up and up and up until there's nothing left for small peanuts.

Yup. And that complete set of X-Force #1 I have (polybagged with the trading cards) is going to put my daughter through college. ;)

A big price swing is always a possibility. Especially as comics become less popular. That's one of the many reasons I don't look at any of my art as an "investment."

Good luck on your X-Force #1's. I collect Kitson because I like him as an artist and person. I collect to collect, I think I need to be plugging some more money into IRA's though.

Comic OA remains hot, no doubt.

There are several factors that are working for increased values in 2008. The weak dollar is bringing in overseas buyers and that's spiking prices. The people that loved comic books as kids are finally of an age that they've got some solid cash to buy the artwork that they've loved. That is REALLY driving prices. Investors that don't love comic art but do love $$$ are sniffing about, too. Just ask SMART MONEY magazine.

I don't think that these particular factors will remain in play forever. If money-driven investors go away after driving up prices, I've gotta think that the market will suffer. If comic fans go away...and the top titles nowadays are selling in the under-200,000 range and (according to Frank, my local comic store guy), most of the buyers are 30+ years old...then there isn't a next generation of collector to come.

Maybe the cream o' the crop will always, always increase in value; it's hard to believe that a Silver Age Ditko cover will ever dump into the I-Can-Afford-It range. But most of us don't own the Kirby/Sinnott cover to FF #100 (and congrats to the person that could afford to drop 56K to buy it at the Heritage auction).

I'm not in this game to make money and I'm kinda hoping that prices do soften. I'm about to be priced out of my favorite hobby! But I do wonder what will happen to the NOT top-of-the-line stuff? In ten years, will comic OA suffer the kind of hit that struck the coin collectors and stamp collectors of a generation past?

The comic art market is not uniform.

I've bought some pages that have stayed at the same value after 20 years (Layton' Hercules, Rogers' Coyote) and some that were hot at the time that cooled off (Valiant/ Ultraverse/ Image).

However, being generations old does not end the value. Pulps and comic strips had there golden age over 50 years ago and people who were born many years after pulps died still collect them and that artwork. I would still like a Herriman example, but have never had one, but I did pick up a Winsor McCay last year that is 100 years old.

Luckily for some like me, I bought pieces in the 1970s onwards- so I have some extra pieces that I can part with from back then to afford the five figure artwork that is still on my want list now.

Best,