• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preliminary Plans for remodel with Comic Room

17 posts in this topic

Well, we have gone through one round on the plans and we just sketch up a modification to send to the architect. My comic room is small overall, but should be able to hold my collection quite nicely. We plan to start next summer and the project should take about 6 months to complete. I am posting a small section of the plans. Needless to say, I am quite happy.

remodel.jpg

Well, we have gone through one round on the plans and we just sketch up a modification to send to the architect. My comic room is small overall, but should be able to hold my collection quite nicely. We plan to start next summer and the project should take about 6 months to complete. I am posting a small section of the plans. Needless to say, I am quite happy.

remodel.jpg

why do you need a 6' x 10' space to display a collection of 13 comic books? :baiting:

no seriously, it is great to see such a dedicated collector (thumbs u

Steve

remodel.jpg

why do you need a 6' x 10' space to display a collection of 13 comic books? :baiting:

no seriously, it is great to see such a dedicated collector (thumbs u

Steve

:gossip: I'm hoping to buy one or two more and want to make sure I have room for them!

In all seriousness, we live in the heart of Silicon Valley where land value is pretty crazy. Our house was built in the early 50's and the only "remodel" is the gas stove was replaced by an electric (not by us!). We bought it from the original owners. It is a small 3 bedroom, two bath and one bedroom and part of the garage is stuffed with my "". My hope is to re-gain one bedroom to use as an office/spare bedroom for guest (we have one child with no plans to add another) by creating the comic room (plus getting rid of some stuff !). My wife is quite happy because the comic room isn't accessible from the house so no need for anyone to see it. I plan to line to two long walls with shelves floor to ceiling with a depth so they can hold short boxes. I plan to put all my books in order so I can easily find everything.

I plan to line to two long walls with shelves floor to ceiling with a depth so they can hold short boxes. I plan to put all my books in order so I can easily find everything.
What are you going to do to insure against flood considering the W/D hookup and plumbing is sharing one of the walls? Where is your water heater located?

definitely nothin on the floor. Also, new washers have to be in a pan wih a drain sort of like hot water heaters. Yes, water is also a concern but I will keep the better stuff up higher and on the opposite wall. Hot water heater will go away and we will go to the newer flash heaters.

Be sure to run airducts into the room so you can climate control it.

My concern being close to the laundry room and the garage is humidity.

Do you really have to have that bathroom by the kitchen? Maybe you can make the comic room AND the laundry room larger. Larger laundry rooms are always nice instead of the after-thought squeeze it in somewhere room that many of us have

You need to get one of these...secret door entrance. When we build in the next few years I plan on creating a hidden comic room in the basement with a secret entrance.

grenadaopen.jpg

Please dear god tell me there will be a pole to slide down! I am also planning on making a hidden door from the garage.

I do plan to have it climate controlled. We will see what the laundary room looks like shortly. I plan to do a life size mock-up of the back area just to get a feel for the space. If we don't put a half bath in, then you have to walk all the way to the other end of the house and use my sons bathroom which is fine now, but once he is a teenger, my guess is not so nice.

Make sure there is some kind of barrier between the Washer and the Comic room. Hose breaks etc happen and water does and will run under the wall into the comic room dry wall and 2x4s will not stop it, same goes for the water heater. I would suggest all books / paper products not be directly on the floor and away from the wall with pipes.