• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$5000 - Advise on what to buy...?

70 posts in this topic

I am not dependent on recovering any $ I've spent on comics, but my level and nature of participation is influenced by my "gamble" that I can recover most of money spent. I would not collect $1K GA books unless I was reasonably sure I could get at least half my money back. If I could not, it would hurt, but I could still put my kids through college. I would have to work maybe 2 more years before I could retire, however, which is actually a moot point because I'll probably work 10 years past that point anyway. If I could not afford to risk such money in comics, I would not be collecting expensive GA, but probably cheapy LG GA, reprints, and readers of SA-MA.

So I think like many (almost all, actually) here I almost always think of the potential return on a book before I buy it, even if I have no intention of ever selling it.

Bottom line, few of us are rich enough or have a limited and cheap enough collecting interest so as to not have to consider the resale value of many purchases.

As for the original premise being questioned here, having 5K to spend doesn't make me ask what comic should I buy. If a book I really want becomes available and it costs 5k, I ask if I can afford it. I don't push money at comics; comics pull money from me.

and $5,000 in some stocks (Enron, WorldCom, etc.) would be worth nothing.

I can see I am speaking to a financial wizard.

I must be some kind of wild genius, since all my stocks were sold for significantly more than when I bought them. Plus, if you want to compare apples to apples, then Enron = Valiant and SA = Blue Chip.

Here in Canuckland, whenever there is a market downturn, I buy tons of bank stocks, then these sure-fire investments jump back up, I sell and diversify. I made a lot just doing that simple trick, and it's far easier than buying piles of funny books for profit.

The point is... you aren't guaranteed anything in ANY investment.

Why not buy what you like and enjoy the ownership itself?

Comic book ownership is more enjoyable to me than a stack of prospectus documents.

Am I right in noticing that you compared Silver Age to Blue Chip stocks?

Doesn't that mean you are advocating investing in comic books? (thumbs u

Nice one, Hypocrates. :makepoint:

Well, but we're talking about two different things here. If you are talking about comics purely as an investment then I would say it's a mistake. There are so many better ways to invest one's money for a much more signicant return. If you are talking about buying comics "also" as an investment then that's quite a different matter. Me, I love comics but I also like to watch the "comic market." For me that's part of the hobby, watching my picks. But I certainly don't consider comics as part of my investment portfolio.

I'm advocating the entire spectrum of the industry.

Some "invest" in $10 books.

Some "invest" in $1,000 books.

Some "invest" in $100,000 books.

As long as the "investor" gets enjoyment from ownership and understands

that there are no guarantees in his comic book (or any other) investments,

then there's no harm in any of these, or anything in between.

Some don't consider any book they have an investment at all,

so that's the other end of the spectrum.

I'm for "all of the above". Whatever works for you, that's your hobby. 'Nuff said.

Joe_Collector doesn't want "investment" and "comic book" in the same sentence,

simply because it doesn't work for him in his world. So what? It works for others.

His negativity is a cancer that is just waiting for some radiation.

I enjoy zapping him. (thumbs u

You of all people should know the dangers of putting "investment" and "comic book" in the same sentence.

----------------

The stock market (at least the U.S. market) hasn't been doing too well lately either, not that I'm advocating investing in stocks or comics, but however you slice it, spending $5,000 on a comic has investment implications to it unless you plan on burning it.

I don't think anyone is naive enough to think that anyone with a collection worth more than a bag of sand, is not concerned to some degree, with its liquidity, right (shrug)

I hope there is more than just me, as I have absolutely no idea how much my collection is worth, and have no interest in its liquidity.

I realize the CGC boards have a higher % of money-hungry buggers on it, but I can't believe that there are no other true collectors out there, who still view comics as a hobby and not a commodity.

Anyone?

Different hobby but I have a video game collection that be worth a heavy deposit for a new house. I've collected it for over 15 years, as some people liken it to rifles, you can pry them from my cold dead hands. I'll never sell them, they are far too valuable in terms of memories. I only estimated how much it was worth recently for insurance purposes.

I do the same with comics, the occassional book I will sell off if it means nothing to me but I've got a decent collection I'd never part with. You purchased them for a reason, read them, loved them, why on earth would you part with them for money? Money comes and goes, your hobby is your life!

Thanks for all the input...I appreciate the views on collecting vs investing. To me it is a bit of both...I collect what I like...but also have a look to the value or potential value of books I buy. I am not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, but I like to buy some nice books every year for my collection.

In terms of investment/liquidity...unfortunately have had to sell my collection on two previous occasions due to family illness and other related expenses. I started collecting again a couple years back...so one never knows what is around the corner. I have no plans to sell any books in the near future, but one never knows.

I just happen to be in the position of likely having the opportunity to buy a nice book or two...and just wanted some suggestions....Timelys are of definite interest, and that is more of my "collecting" side, I just wanted some input ...

Anyways, thanks for all your input.

I don't think anyone is naive enough to think that anyone with a collection worth more than a bag of sand, is not concerned to some degree, with its liquidity, right (shrug)

I hope there is more than just me, as I have absolutely no idea how much my collection is worth, and have no interest in its liquidity.

I realize the CGC boards have a higher % of money-hungry buggers on it, but I can't believe that there are no other true collectors out there, who still view comics as a hobby and not a commodity.

Anyone?

my guess is because you purchased the majority of your collection off the rack, or at least before

the crazy prices began to pop up?

anyone actively buying comics today should be aware of what their collection is worth less be a dumb hass.

not that your not buying, but maybe not as much?

Since it looks like poster is from Canada, Get into the Candian oil trusts. Take 5k and buy PVX and then compare to GPA of whatever book purchased. End this debate once and for all. I for one would be very curious if a CGC whatever can beat a semi-stable 14%yield.

I just wish they were not giving US investors the shaft in 2011.

I must be some kind of wild genius, since all my stocks were sold for significantly more than when I bought them. Plus, if you want to compare apples to apples, then Enron = Valiant and SA = Blue Chip.

Here in Canuckland, whenever there is a market downturn, I buy tons of bank stocks, then these sure-fire investments jump back up, I sell and diversify. I made a lot just doing that simple trick, and it's far easier than buying piles of funny books for profit.

Comic book ownership is more enjoyable to me than a stack of prospectus documents.

Well, but we're talking about two different things here. If you are talking about comics purely as an investment then I would say it's a mistake. There are so many better ways to invest one's money for a much more signicant return. If you are talking about buying comics "also" as an investment then that's quite a different matter. Me, I love comics but I also like to watch the "comic market." For me that's part of the hobby, watching my picks. But I certainly don't consider comics as part of my investment portfolio.

Give me your five grand. I'll guarantee you eight grand back in a year. I get to keep the rest. Fair enough? I'll only buy comics.

Since it looks like poster is from Canada, Get into the Candian oil trusts. Take 5k and buy PVX and then compare to GPA of whatever book purchased. End this debate once and for all. I for one would be very curious if a CGC whatever can beat a semi-stable 14%yield.

I just wish they were not giving US investors the shaft in 2011.

Now that is good advise...no Schomburg covers in oil trust though.... :grin:

Give me your five grand. I'll guarantee you eight grand back in a year. I get to keep the rest. Fair enough? I'll only buy comics.

Tell me where to send the check. Your paying 60% for 12 months and I don't have to do shows, bag& board, price, grade, drive to shows, etc, etc, etc

------------------------------------------------------

I have at least $30K in home improvements I'd like to get accomplished in the next 2-4 years. Some of them are semi-urgent. I don't make enough to spare that money and I don't want to borrow it. I enjoyed them, owned many of then for 10-30 years, but some of them are going to be sold.

People have kids, cash crunches, etc. It happens.

And people may want liquid books to sell when they want ... other/different books! And given that not all areas of the hobby are going to rise together, why not factor in potential investment returns?

It's great you're sitting on this stuff and not looking to sell and have no need to, but not everyone is in the same boat.

Putting the dough back in donut? A better offer I've never heard! Where do I send the cheque? Of course guarantee means guarantee and you really couldn't do that could you?

I can't help but notice that you compared Silver Age comics to Blue Chip stocks? So, then you are advocating investing in comic books...

Nope, just correcting YOUR obvious error. :tonofbricks:

So, then no one should invest in Blue Chip stocks or Silver Age comics. Got it. (thumbs u

I have at least $30K in home improvements I'd like to get accomplished in the next 2-4 years. Some of them are semi-urgent. I don't make enough to spare that money and I don't want to borrow it. I enjoyed them, owned many of then for 10-30 years, but some of them are going to be sold.

Understandable, but that's not what I'm referring to.

Comics certainly are a nice hobby if you run into financial hardship and need to sell, but while I recognize this fringe benefit, that is NOT why I buy them.

The way I look at it, is if I'm investing for financial return in my "hobby", then I need a new hobby.

I can't help but notice that you compared Silver Age comics to Blue Chip stocks? So, then you are advocating investing in comic books...

So, then no one should invest in Blue Chip stocks or Silver Age comics. Got it. (thumbs u

Wow, reading Valiant comics does lower your IQ. hm

Comics certainly are a nice hobby if you run into financial hardship and need to sell, but while I recognize this fringe benefit, that is NOT why I buy them.

The way I look at it, is if I'm investing for financial return in my "hobby", then I need a new hobby.

I can see your point...I buy comics for pure enjoyment, and folks that know me, know I have a % of my net worth that I will allow to be spent (not "invested") on my hobby...that said, I spend a lot (as do many), and it would be naive of me not to consider the financial consequences irregardless of whether it would impact me or not, should I ever want/need/be motivated, etc to sell...this works for me, and might not be applicable to anyone else...I can afford to take my entire comic collection and consider it "valueless $ wise" to anyone but me, but, I do take some consolation in the consideration that if/when I have/choose to sell, there is a certain level of liquidity to comics (and, if they end of being a wise "investment" beyond just the return of enjoyment I get, than fantastic!)

Wow, reading Valiant comics does lower your IQ. hm

If so, I'd hate to know what it was before. (shrug)