• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much does CGC automatically knock off for a Date Stamp?

29 posts in this topic

Does CGC automatically knocks off 10 points for a Date Stamp?

Is this true?

Yes. If a book is otherwise a 10.0, then with a date stamp that book will be a 0.0.

Harsh.

doh! i meant 0.10 points.

I guess this date stamps doesn't mean much in these parts, since no one here really cares.

I just scored a huge lot of Silver and Bronze books with some pretty killer keys included. Almost every issue has a date stamp. Still debating whether to sell them raw or send to get 'em slabbed.

doh! i meant 0.10 points.

I guess this date stamps doesn't mean much in these parts, since no one here really cares.

I just scored a huge lot of Silver and Bronze books with some pretty killer keys included. Almost every issue has a date stamp. Still debating whether to sell them raw or send to get 'em slabbed.

Date stamps are generally not a large factor in a book's grade, unless they're severely obtrusive.

Some people :hi: actually like date stamps :cloud9:

While other people hate them with a passion. (shrug)

I've got an Adventure Comics #283 with a date stamp. At first it drove me crazy to see it, but I got used to it. Doesn't seem CGC knocks down the grade too much for that or pencilled dating either. Got a book from Nik that had that (pencil marking) and it was the first CGC'ed book I'd seen personally (yeah, I was kinda new to slabbing last year), so I was surprised it wasn't a 2.0 or something as a result.

I'm still wondering why it was a practice for some people to do it in the first place.

I've got an Adventure Comics #283 with a date stamp. At first it drove me crazy to see it, but I got used to it. Doesn't seem CGC knocks down the grade too much for that or pencilled dating either. Got a book from Nik that had that (pencil marking) and it was the first CGC'ed book I'd seen personally (yeah, I was kinda new to slabbing last year), so I was surprised it wasn't a 2.0 or something as a result.

I'm still wondering why it was a practice for some people to do it in the first place.

I believe that's how the sellers of comics back in the day could notate the date a comic arrived to their store. And if it remained unsold after a certain number of days they could send the unsolds back to DC/Marvel for a refund/credit.

I believe that's how the sellers of comics back in the day could notate the date a comic arrived to their store. And if it remained unsold after a certain number of days they could send the unsolds back to DC/Marvel for a refund/credit.

Before the direct market, all comics were returnable to the distributor (not Marvel or DC - they are publishers). This was common practice for all magazines too. But comics were delivered sometimes months in advance of their printed publication date, so vendors would mark the receipt date by hand, or stamp, so they'd know which issues to pull off the shelf and return to the distributor for credit. At the drugstore I worked at, anything older than 30 days was returned to the distributor (or me :grin: )