• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much does CGC automatically knock off for a Date Stamp?

29 posts in this topic

I've seen 9.8s with date stamps :P Doesnt affect the grade at all

I think you're right as of today. It wasn't always the case though. CGC used to note date stamps on the old labels and it seemed to factor into the grade...

wh13label.jpg

Jim

Does CGC automatically knocks off .10 points for a Date Stamp?

Is this true?

Assuming it's one of those small date stamps it won't affect the grade at all below 9.8.

From 9.8 - 10 there maybe be some factor but the standards are secret.

(shrug)

You should pick up a copy of the The Official Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide - it's pretty consistent with CGC on a number of different criteria, including date stamps. I don't have it in front of me, but I think I recall that date stamps are not allowed on 10 and 9.9 books but are allowed on 9.8 and below.

doh! i meant 0.10 points.

I guess this date stamps doesn't mean much in these parts, since no one here really cares.

I just scored a huge lot of Silver and Bronze books with some pretty killer keys included. Almost every issue has a date stamp. Still debating whether to sell them raw or send to get 'em slabbed.

Date stamps are generally not a large factor in a book's grade, unless they're severely obtrusive.

Some people :hi: actually like date stamps :cloud9:

While other people hate them with a passion. (shrug)

Date stamps are ok for all grades and won't impact, unless obstrusive across a face on the FC...I actually like date stamps for the historical context it gives books