• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics 1 not keeping pace?

89 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I am returning to the hobby after years away. I wanted to start my first topic (if it is misplaced, please don't flame me as I'm new).

When I left, Marvel Comics 1 was "THE" book to have, and listed as the highest priced book on teh market by Overstreet, followed by Action 1 and Tec 27. Upon returning, I've seen that Action 1 and Tec 27 seem to be selling for huge prices compared to the few Marvel Comics 1s I've seen. Admittedly, there are differences in grading, but it still seems like Marvel 1 has slipped quite a bit in overall ranking and seems not to be keeping up in relative appreciation with other key GA and, even, SA books.

Is my perception right? If so, why has it slipped relative to others in the market?

Is it appreciating at the rate, even, of am Amazing Fantasy 15?

Let me know your thoughts.

Dave

Dave there is a lot more discussion on MC #1 in the golden age forum but I'll give it a shot...

I seem to remember MC #1 being #1 in OSPG as well when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's. The only thing I can think of is that the market was at one time dominated by Marvel fans (hereafter known as Marvel Zombies) but the collecting world has come to realize that Action #1 is THE most important comic book ever created. It is the first app. of a true Superhero, and the model that all others follwed after. That coupled with the scarcity of an Action #1 in any grade as well as mystique surrounding the Mile High Action #1 (and the $1,000,000 bounty on it's head) all have something to do with it.

With the highest graded known CGC copy of Action #1 being an 8.5 and then a 7.5 it certainly seems to be more scarce in grade. MC #1 has 2 in 9.0, one in 8.5 and one in 8.0 recorded although John Verzyl owns the MH #1 if I'm not mistaken (actually he owns the entire MH Timely run except for his 9.6 Cap Am. #1 which is an Allentown is it not?) and that is probably a pretty nice copy.

(worship)

Hope that helps. A LOT has changed in the past 2 decades.

Roy.

John Versyl owns the MH #1 if I'm not mistaken and that is probably a pretty nice copy.

\(worship\)

Verzyl thinks it's a 9.8. It's safe to assume it's at least a 9.6.

Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusee me.

:P

John Versyl owns the MH #1 if I'm not mistaken and that is probably a pretty nice copy.

\(worship\)

Verzyl thinks it's a 9.8. It's safe to assume it's at least a 9.6.

Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusee me.

:P

lol

I'll give my "short" version of a plausible reason.

Action #1- 1st Superman

Detective #27- 1st Batman

AF #15- 1st Spider-man

these are the 3 most popular and influential fictional characters in comics (and American) history.

I would go into more detail, but I promised a short version. :foryou:

welcome back to the hobby. :grin:

And MC #1 is still a highly-prized book that sells for big $$. The pay copy sold last year for $205K. That was significantly down from it's previous sale of 350K, but that book was part of the Parino silliness.

Where does MC 1 now rank in the overall list of highest-valued books? Say for a 7.0 grade.

I am a Marvel Zombie, I suppose, but even I appreciate Action 1 and Tec 27. How could ya not? So, I understand it slipping behind those 2 to a degree, but it seems like MC 1 is lagging pretty far behind those 2, if not many others. Far more than I would have expected.

My favourite conversation of Chicago last year

Roy: (approaching a group of older gentleman) Hi there, my name is Roy from Canada and I collect Thors, what do you collect?

John Verzyl (speaking up for the group): I collect Timelys (pause)...actually I own the entire Mile High run of Timelys!

Roy: HOLY (as his jaw hits the floor)

A finer comic book story I have never heard. :)

Jim

Roy: (approaching a group of older gentleman) Hi there, my name is Roy from Canada and I collect Thors, what do you collect?

John Verzyl (speaking up for the group): I collect Timelys (pause)...actually I own the entire Mile High run of Timelys!

Jim

lol

I think as important as a Marvel Comics #1 is for setting the groundwork for the creation of the company that spawned the "Marvel Age of Comics", I think the ho hum cover really hurts this book. Isn't it also being argued that it might no longer be the 1st appearance of the Sub Mariner?

Jim

Jim

lol

Actually after he told me what he owned, I turned to him (in front of Richard Evans, Mr. Schomburg, detective 27 Kid, Ciorac and maybe Billy Parker) and said "yeah right!".

And then I gave him a look.

And then someone said to me...maybe Richy ..."no really ...he does"....

And I said....yeah right.

Then my jaw hit the ground.

R.

I'll give my "short" version of a plausible reason.

Action #1- 1st Superman

Detective #27- 1st Batman

AF #15- 1st Spider-man

these are the 3 most popular and influential fictional characters in comics (and American) history.

I would go into more detail, but I promised a short version. :foryou:

welcome back to the hobby. :grin:

I had a whole response typed out but realized this is all I really needed to say.

So, I agree.

Action #1, Detective #27, AF #15 are the "big 3"...

the further we get from 1962, the more AF #15 will seem

like it "belongs" with the other two.

I think a CGC 9.6 AF #15 would challenge ANY book, Including Dentists Action #1, Allentown Det. #27. I know some people consider that sacrireligious, BUT I think it could easily challenge those books.
lol:roflmao:

I think a CGC 9.6 AF #15 would challenge ANY book, Including Dentists Action #1, Allentown Det. #27. I know some people consider that sacrireligious, BUT I think it could easily challenge those books.
lol:roflmao:

The dentist has been offered 2 mil for the Action 1. You think an AF 15 9.6 would get offers that high?

I don't.