• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics 1 not keeping pace?

89 posts in this topic

Not my bailiwick, but it seems to me that people don't talk about MC1 like they do with most of those other top-5 or even top-10 books. And they haven't since I've been on these boards, come to think of it.

My favourite conversation of Chicago last year

Roy: (approaching a group of older gentleman) Hi there, my name is Roy from Canada and I collect Thors, what do you collect?

John Verzyl (speaking up for the group): I collect Timelys (pause)...actually I own the entire Mile High run of Timelys!

Roy: HOLY (as his jaw hits the floor)

A finer comic book story I have never heard. :)

Jim

lol

Actually after he told me what he owned, I turned to him (in front of Richard Evans, Mr. Schomburg, detective 27 Kid, Ciorac and maybe Billy Parker) and said "yeah right!".

And then I gave him a look.

And then someone said to me...maybe Richy ..."no really ...he does"....

And I said....yeah right.

Then my jaw hit the ground.

R.

roy is right, I was going to correct that, but Roy, I am the one that was closest to you and confirmed that John was indeed telling the truth...the look on your face was (and is) priceless

I think a CGC 9.6 AF #15 would challenge ANY book, Including Dentists Action #1, Allentown Det. #27. I know some people consider that sacrireligious, BUT I think it could easily challenge those books.
lol:roflmao:

The dentist has been offered 2 mil for the Action 1. You think an AF 15 9.6 would get offers that high?

I don't.

I'm pretty sure the $2 mil was a rumour. $1mil was a public offer from Geppi.

AF #15 in 9.6? I think $500, 000 would be a walk in the park considering what that book has been doing. But to own the lone 9.6 in a bidding war...who knows? Stranger things are happening every day.

R.

My favourite conversation of Chicago last year

Roy: (approaching a group of older gentleman) Hi there, my name is Roy from Canada and I collect Thors, what do you collect?

John Verzyl (speaking up for the group): I collect Timelys (pause)...actually I own the entire Mile High run of Timelys!

Roy: HOLY (as his jaw hits the floor)

A finer comic book story I have never heard. :)

Jim

lol

Actually after he told me what he owned, I turned to him (in front of Richard Evans, Mr. Schomburg, detective 27 Kid, Ciorac and maybe Billy Parker) and said "yeah right!".

And then I gave him a look.

And then someone said to me...maybe Richy ..."no really ...he does"....

And I said....yeah right.

Then my jaw hit the ground.

R.

roy is right, I was going to correct that, but Roy, I am the one that was closest to you and confirmed that John was indeed telling the truth...the look on your face was (and is) priceless

That was my highlight of the day!!

I don't know if it would get $2 Million, BUT it might/might not be very close...again if/when this book comes to Market, what it goes for (on the high side) will probably surprise a lot of people, and probably upset others. It is still the ONLY unrestored 9.6, right??

I think as important as a Marvel Comics #1 is for setting the groundwork for the creation of the company that spawned the "Marvel Age of Comics", I think the ho hum cover really hurts this book. Isn't it also being argued that it might no longer be the 1st appearance of the Sub Mariner?

Jim

First appearance of Subby was Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly #1, which was planned and printed, but never distributed

May sound foolish to you old-timers, but who is "the dentist?" Sounds like a bad 1940s supervillian.

Talking about those 9.6 books, I also noted that people are paying 4x for a 9.6 what they are for a 9.4 in certain books, and 4x for that what they would for a 9.2. I know it must be nice to have the highest graded book by cgc, but aren't the differences in grades at that kind of level really just splitting hairs?

It seems really out of line to pay that much more for a minor difference in quality.

I think a CGC 9.6 AF #15 would challenge ANY book, Including Dentists Action #1, Allentown Det. #27. I know some people consider that sacrireligious, BUT I think it could easily challenge those books.

No way in hell. No way. It's maybe a $500,000 book right now. The Church Action #1, even if it weren't in a permacollection would have to be worth four or five times that. The Allentown Tec 27 is in the same range as the Church #1.

No way in hell. No way. It's maybe a $500,000 book right now. The Church Action #1, even if it weren't in a permacollection would have to be worth four or five times that. The Allentown Tec 27 is in the same range as the Church #1.

(thumbs u

the big difference and the easiest explanation is simply that all collectors who want or aspire to a Marvel 1 would also want an Action 1 or a Detective 27; but the reverse is not true.

To me explaining why Marvel 1 doesnt rule the roost anymore is like saying Four Color 9 doesnt either. Times and tastes have evolved. Perhaps we will look back and pin it on the Reeve Superman movies as the key to Action's ascendancy to the top of the pile. And 10 years later, Batman went Hollywood and worldwide. So far, Human Torch and Subby havent gone mainstream like Superman and Batman. Heck, even back in 1977 they were less well known on the street without the movies due to decades of TV shows and licensing....

dam, I wanted this to be short and sweet! How long have you been gone from comics?

One of my favorite topics. If Verzyl gets the Church MC#1 graded and shows it to the public it would immediately pull the value up on the book as a whole. If it is indeed a 9.8 then it goes through the roof in terms of value. The presence of a few other high grade copies in 9.0 and 8.5 probably hurt its value in comparison to the other top 3 or 4 keys but it doesn't diminish its significance (I actually like the cover). Whomever won the ComicConnect October print for $41K yesterday really landed a super deal considering the Cage copy went for double that last year. Also, I think the fact that there is so much confusion/uncertainty about the Oct/Nov prints doesn't help its overall value but clearly the October version should be worth considerably more than its November counterpart just based on its historical scarcity. One unrestored October copy has surfaced in the last number of years and if anyone else knows where another one is they sure haven't mentioned it on these boards (not sure if Verzyl's copy if October or November?).

you know? Right now, we dont know what ANYTHING is worth! The 9.6 AF15 sure looks like a bargain, more and more,but its got a ways to go to catch the dentists copy. Lets check back in 10 years and see where things stand though. It oughtta be a lot closer. Or not when Spidey 5 (or was it VI?) grosses 67 million bucks worldwide!

Whomever won the ComicConnect October print for $41K yesterday really landed a super deal considering the Cage copy went for double that last year.

Isnt that like saying whoever bought Google last fall and again today got a bargain? Maybe its a TREND.

the big difference and the easiest explanation is simply that all collectors who want or aspire to a Marvel 1 would also want an Action 1 or a Detective 27; but the reverse is not true.

To me explaining why Marvel 1 doesnt rule the roost anymore is like saying Four Color 9 doesnt either. Times and tastes have evolved. Perhaps we will look back and pin it on the Reeve Superman movies as the key to Action's ascendancy to the top of the pile. And 10 years later, Batman went Hollywood and worldwide. So far, Human Torch and Subby havent gone mainstream like Superman and Batman. Heck, even back in 1977 they were less well known on the street without the movies due to decades of TV shows and licensing....

dam, I wanted this to be short and sweet! How long have you been gone from comics?

I quit collecting in 1986. Just came back to it now because the parents wanted my old stuff out of the house and I started looking back through my collection.

I guess the Human Torch sort of went mainstream with the Fantastic Four movies. Not the same guy, technically, but pretty close from the street's perspective.

I guess I can understand the iconic nature of Batman and Superman making it more desirable than MC 1, which did not really create the same sort of figures.

By the same logic, I guess the AF 15 should, in years to come, also surpass MC 1. As, perhaps, should FF 1, Hulk 1, Cap America Comics 1, TOS 39 (we'll see about the movie), X-Men 1, and Giant-sized 1, Hulk 181, etc. But, those are probably in sufficient supply to have only the highest grades in the same ballpark as the rarer MC 1.

By the same logic, I guess the AF 15 should, in years to come, also surpass MC 1. (yup ) As, perhaps, should FF 1 (yup ), Hulk 1 ( maybe ), Cap America Comics 1 ( yup), TOS 39 (we'll see about the movie)(doubtful), X-Men 1 (doubtful), and Giant-sized 1(no way), Hulk 181(no way), etc. But, those are probably in sufficient supply to have only the highest grades in the same ballpark as the rarer MC 1.(yup)

there's probably more 9.4 and up copies of GS x-men 1 and Hulk 181's around than total copies of MC1 in existence.

they are just too common in HG to enter the true silly money range

I was the one who brought the AF 15 9.6 into the discussion, and I also agree that the AF 15 isn't in the same league as the Church Action 1 and the Allentown Tec'27, the only real competition those two books have is each other

the pgx 9.0 action 1 would be a seriously expensive book on the open market too. (when cracked out of the pgx slab that is)