• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay ripoffs

53 posts in this topic

I now remember why I had given up using ebay in the first place. So many sellers are just out to scam the next poor sucker that comes along.

So I stumbled across a dutch auction and it states that S/H in 5.50 flat rate.

Shipping costs:

US $5.50

Expedited Flat Rate Shipping Service

So i decide to BIN 2 of them at 1.99.

I get an invoice for the books and shipping is 11.00. WTF??? I email the seller and they say:

Terms are CLEARLY LISTED IN THE AUCTION! Shipping DISCOUNT has been applied to the win AS DESCRIBED IN AUCTION.

I just refuse to pay 11 for shipping 2 books. I again responded with the following:

Are you shipping each item in a different box? Are you familiar with ebay policy on this matter?

Excessive Shipping Charges Policy

Sellers may charge reasonable shipping and handling fees to cover the costs for mailing, packaging, and handling the items they are selling. While eBay will not prescribe exactly what a seller may or may not charge, eBay will rely on member reports and its own discretion to determine whether or not a seller’s shipping, handling, packaging, and/or insurance charges are excessive. Shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

Sellers who want to be sure they are in compliance with this policy may charge actual shipping costs plus actual packaging materials cost (or less).

In addition to the final listing price, sellers are permitted to charge:

Actual Shipping cost: This is the actual cost (i.e. postage) for shipping the item.

Handling Fee: Actual packaging materials costs may be charged. A handling fee in addition to actual shipping cost may be charged if it is not excessive.

Insurance: Sellers offering insurance may only charge the actual fee for insurance. No additional amount may be added, such as “self-insurance”. Sellers who do not use a licensed 3rd party insurance company may not require buyers to purchase insurance. This is a violation of state law.

Tax: Only actual applicable federal, state, country, city, VAT, and equivalent taxes may be charged.

For cross border transactions, sellers may not collect tariffs and duties. However, buyers may be responsible for actual, applicable tariffs, and duties as requested by respective country laws.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

* Listing cancellation

* Limits on account privileges

* Account suspension

* Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

* Loss of PowerSeller status

I did go back and look at the auction and yes way at the bottom this fool has:

NOW OFFERING DISCOUNTED SHIPPING FOR MULTIPLE WINS!! HERE'S HOW IT WORKS! You pay the shipping for the first auction won and you get a dollar DISCOUNT off of the listed shipping charges of any other auctions you win. This only applies to "like" items. Simply put, win one book, no discount; two books receive a $1.00 discount off of the total of both books plus listed shipping; three books gets you $2 off and so on

What a line of BS.

Am I in the wrong here or should I just report this to ebay?

Your wrong, Flat rate shipping doesn't mean combined shipping. I simply request the items ship separately if they don't have a fair combined shipping policy. This takes any profit they see on shipping out...

Believe it or not, the only time this happened the items were shipped separately.

I second having the books shipped separately...tell the seller one of them is for your friend. :)

I like that - insist on separate shipping, just to bust his ballz..............even give two addresses if you have to...........unfortunately, he put his krappy policy in writing.......... :sorry:

You're right that he's a scam artist and should be dragged onto the street and shot, but he did tell you upfront that he's scamming you and essentially breaking the EBay rules...

So just pay for one, confirm it's been shipped, then pay for the other one a week later.

You have to ship to the same address to be covered under Paypal.

I know this:

1) You pay for ONE auction + ONE shipping charge.

2) You wait to confirm shipping, a week or whatever.

3) You then pay for for the SECOND auction + ONE shipping charge.

End of story, and you've made your point without being a :censored:.

The drama continues lol

My response:

> I have no problem in paying a bit more for shipping for an additional book but

> let's be realistic here. There is no way that a single 1.99 book should cost

> an extra 5 bucks to ship.

>

> Let me know if we can work this out.

His:

Sure, we can work it out. Pay the auction! Shipping and handling terms are clearly spelled out. If you did not like the terms, why did you buy? I am a bit amazed at how people feel that their problems with comprehension should become mine...

Mine :grin:

Actually your description say 1.00 for the book (look at your auction). Also it states the the shipping per auction is 5.50. I bid on 1 auction for two books. You are inflating your profit margin by increasing shipping and in turn scamming buyers and avoiding ebay fees.

I'm amazed that you are still able to sell. You never did answer my question about shipping the books separately.

Will you ship each book separately?

On its way. Checks in the mail Pal.

Best

It's funny how this guys new auctions clearly state that he does not combine shipping. hm