• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Gerber Photo-Journal Guides To Comic Books

30 posts in this topic

I just found out about these two hard covers & am wondering if anyone here thinks they are worth the $$$ to spend on them or not?.. Does anyone here even own them?.. :S

I think it could be a neat use for reference depending the amount of comics in ... Has there ever been anything else done like this in similar style ?..

The golden age books are worth every penny and more in my opinion. The Marvels? Not so much. Seriously though, the GA volumes are the best comics reference material I have. I can't tell you how many times I have looked through them.

No, nothing like this had ever been done in comics before and nothing like this will ever be done in comics again. If you read Gerber's intro, you will know why.

They are awesome to have. About the only downside is you will be hooked on trying to collect runs that are displayed inside. Also, I wish they had a bronze one for dc. You could go to gcd and look up everything, but it is tedious. Mike's amazing dc is another option (closer).

But, there is nothing like having a beautifully bound book with glossy thick pages, containing a multitude of covers/dates/artists right at your fingertips to peruse any time.

Worth every penny IMO.

Anybody know why a DC version wasn't made?

I've heard many rumors over the years that a SA/BA set was going to be published, only to learn that DC weren't interested and were refusing to waive the copyright for the books. My guess is that that is the reason.

Yup, I got 'em all too. But as October said, the GA ones are must haves since they contain more info, such as scarcity which the Marvels don't. But it's a nice refference to have and quickly scan through them. Less than a must have, more like a nice to have.

The golden age books are worth every penny and more in my opinion. The Marvels? Not so much. Seriously though, the GA volumes are the best comics reference material I have. I can't tell you how many times I have looked through them.

Not nearly enough I'd say considering your recent win in BZ's quiz series is your first win this year :baiting:

Not nearly enough I'd say considering your recent win in BZ's quiz series is your first win this year :baiting:

It might be my first, but it won't be my last. :makepoint:

No, nothing like this had ever been done in comics before and nothing like this will ever be done in comics again. If you read Gerber's intro, you will know why.

What he said. I have both and you probably have seen the SA covers a million times, don't think I've picked it up more than once. The GA guide is completely different story.

No, nothing like this had ever been done in comics before and nothing like this will ever be done in comics again.

http://www.comics.org/index.lasso

150,000 covers online, free of charge.

As was said these two volumes are not as crucial to the hobby as the Golden Age ones, but they're worth owning as they complement the others.

What are the golden age ones?!?

He has made other books like this?

Yep, what he said. The GA Gerber's are priceless as a reference, and buying up the Gerber "White Space" stickers in select back issues of Comic Book Marketplace makes it complete. :cloud9:

:gossip: .......one exception to the Gerber Photo Journals is that there is a gap between the GA Gerber and the SA Marvels........and there is no just straight SA Gerber for DC, Tower, Gold Key,....ect. :(

But there is the Grand Comic Book Database Linky :luhv: