• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Gerber Photo-Journal Guides To Comic Books

30 posts in this topic

I have a question about these, too --- do the Marvel volumes include a lot of other content, besides just the cover reproductions? Info like creators, summary of key events/appearances, etc?

I'll see for myself soon, I guess. Just ordered them from B&N. If anyone else is considering this, here's a coupon code that worked for me last night: A8P8N9P Saved me 25% off of one item, and layered on top of my member discount. Ended up getting both Marvel hardcovers, new, for $43.26 shipped. Not too shabby . . . :cloud9:

Seriously though, the GA volumes are the best comics reference material I have. I can't tell you how many times I have looked through them.

The Golden Age books are my favorite bathroom reading material. :headbang:

I have a question about these, too --- do the Marvel volumes include a lot of other content, besides just the cover reproductions? Info like creators, summary of key events/appearances, etc?

I'll see for myself soon, I guess. Just ordered them from B&N. If anyone else is considering this, here's a coupon code that worked for me last night: A8P8N9P Saved me 25% off of one item, and layered on top of my member discount. Ended up getting both Marvel hardcovers, new, for $43.26 shipped. Not too shabby . . . :cloud9:

Yes they do, they include cover date, RVI (relative value index) and Artists/Info.

Anybody know why a DC version wasn't made?

I've heard many rumors over the years that a SA/BA set was going to be published, only to learn that DC weren't interested and were refusing to waive the copyright for the books. My guess is that that is the reason.

I've heard the same thing. Ernie couldn't get permission from DC.

Hard to know if it would have happened anyway. Pretty sure Ernie lost money on the first 4 volumes.

I think it had to do with a number of DC titles whose license had moved to new ownership. DC no longer held the rights and therefore didn't have ownership. Anyone else hear something along those lines? hm

Any one have pictures of the back covers? :wishluck:

Gerber.jpg

I've owned the Marvels for years and still look up stuff all the time. If you are a Marvel collector, they are an incredible resource.

Jim

There is a Deluxe Edition for the Marvel Photo Journal which has 16 extra pages of Atlas pre-hero covers and a page of Marvel Magazine covers and a page of Marvel comics as printed in foreign countries......i volunteered the material. (The Deluxe Edition also combines volumes 3 and 4 into one volume which is pseudo leather bound)

the cost of these projects was overwhelming. For the GA photo journals he did separate color separations for each book. For the Marvel photo journal he shot them a half page at a time with black velvet for the background. He spent several weeks at my house plugging away at it. Wound up rebagging every marvel comic i owned after he left....

I believe the hobby owes a deep debt to ernie- place aside he figured out how to heat seal mylar, but his GA photo journals allowed us to "window shop" for books that we could only dream about or did not know existed......Ernie G. was a great guy and loved the hobby....