• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World LA Report! Special Thanks to Matt Nelson & Mr. BedRock!!

41 posts in this topic

I passed on WW this year because I can't stand Los Angeles.I wish they still had the con in Long Beach,loved it there.

Actually for me there is never any traffic in Downtown LA when I go and the parking is great because it right under/by the con itself and its only $12.00.

I am from Philly orginally, and parking there for WW sucks alot!!!

I went on Saturday and Sunday.

Traffic was okay on Saturday. I dropped off some books with Matt to have resto removed. I walked the whole room in under an hour. Saw some books I wanted but not that badly until I got to Mr. Bedrock's table and saw books to die for. None I could afford but there is a long story in there somewhere. I did meet Mr. Bedrock and Sacentaur and had a really long chat with them. I'm sure they were bored. I ended up scoring a CGC 9.0 Cap #100 at a very good price.

Traffic was a breeze yesterday. I drove in from East LA County taking 605 to 60 to 10 to 110. Nothing. This would be around 1pm.

Yeah parking was $12 both days but I wrote it off as security. On Sunday I brought about $5000 in books with me to trade just in case (a long story you might read one day, re: the chat on Saturday). There were three security guards having a long talk right where I parked and they were still there chatting when I got back to my car three hours later!

The show was dead though. Maybe dead in a good way: crowd-wise. What does it tell you if the dealers had a good show despite a smaller crowd? The hobby must be looking up!

I wanted to buy a book from a guy I spoke with on Saturday but when I got back there on Sunday he was gone and I found out Harley bought his entire table. So, instead I went to Terry's where I finally broke down and bought a Kid Komics #2 I had been eyeballing for over a year.

Now I'm broke!

I went on Saturday and Sunday.

Traffic was okay on Saturday. I dropped off some books with Matt to have resto removed. I walked the whole room in under an hour. Saw some books I wanted but not that badly until I got to Mr. Bedrock's table and saw books to die for. None I could afford but there is a long story in there somewhere. I did meet Mr. Bedrock and Sacentaur and had a really long chat with them. I'm sure they were bored. I ended up scoring a CGC 9.0 Cap #100 at a very good price.

Traffic was a breeze yesterday. I drove in from East LA County taking 605 to 60 to 10 to 110. Nothing. This would be around 1pm.

Yeah parking was $12 both days but I wrote it off as security. On Sunday I brought about $5000 in books with me to trade just in case (a long story you might read one day, re: the chat on Saturday). There were three security guards having a long talk right where I parked and they were still there chatting when I got back to my car three hours later!

The show was dead though. Maybe dead in a good way: crowd-wise. What does it tell you if the dealers had a good show despite a smaller crowd? The hobby must be looking up!

I wanted to buy a book from a guy I spoke with on Saturday but when I got back there on Sunday he was gone and I found out Harley bought his entire table. So, instead I went to Terry's where I finally broke down and bought a Kid Komics #2 I had been eyeballing for over a year.

Now I'm broke!

THANKS FOR YOUR REPORT, I AM GLAD YOU HAD A GOOD TIME!

Metrocard :baiting:

As yes Mass Transportation, but that is never a good idea if you buy alot of stuff and need to put it in your car. :baiting:

Thankfully I only buy what I need

Quality > Quantity

You must be talking about Michael Dice aka Old Comix. I had traded for Four Color books with him on Saturday and went back early on Sunday to try to pick up another couple. I could not find the book that I was looking for and he was very bussy totaling everything up so he could try to make a quick sale of everything to Harley. I was with Bedrock later and mentioned the possible sale. He was going to try to make an offer, but a bit later we saw Harley wheeling a dolly load of about a dozen+long boxes

I have enjoyed the show both of the last 2 years in Downtown, and plan on going as long as it stays there. I can make it to the show in a little over 1/2 hour. and parking was great. I was right across the street and it was only $10 for each day. It was not crowded traffic wise even though the Finals for the Pac 12 basketball tournement was next door. I would never go to the convention in Long Beach. it is much further, and as I recall the area was very seedy. not someplace I would want to carry several K worth of books.

I ended up scoring a CGC 9.0 Cap #100 at a very good price

That was a sweeeeet book, Andy - nice pickup! (thumbs u

I only spent a half-day there on Sunday; sorry I missed you.

Don't know if Bedrock's JIM 83 sold - what a super pretty copy for a 7.0.

On Sunday I brought about $5000 in books with me to trade just in case ....Now I'm broke!

Please PM me a list of what you have left...

I went to Terry's where I finally broke down and bought a Kid Komics #2 I had been eyeballing for over a year.

Was that the copy with the loose cover? Pretty cool book otherwise - Terry and Dave are excellent graders (I was very happy with the Zip 13 and National 14 I obtained from them).

I ended up scoring a CGC 9.0 Cap #100 at a very good price

That was a sweeeeet book, Andy - nice pickup! (thumbs u

I know. I'm still :cloud9:

I only spent a half-day there on Sunday; sorry I missed you.
Yeah, I got there late. Like 2ish 3ish. I brought my SS #6 and the restored Planet #1 just in case we could, you know, work something out on that one book. I'm insane to even think I could muster enough to get it in 5 years.

Don't know if Bedrock's JIM 83 sold - what a super pretty copy for a 7.0.
Nope and I thought for a millisecond about offering to swap the Silver Streak and some other stuff for it right then. But if I lose a Photo Journal cover it sets me back on my quest.

On Sunday I brought about $5000 in books with me to trade just in case ....Now I'm broke!

Please PM me a list of what you have left...

lol It was mostly ~ $100 SA or moderns that I would have used to sweeten the pot of the deposit. And of course the $3k SS #6.

I went to Terry's where I finally broke down and bought a Kid Komics #2 I had been eyeballing for over a year.

Was that the copy with the loose cover? Pretty cool book otherwise - Terry and Dave are excellent graders (I was very happy with the Zip 13 and National 14 I obtained from them).

Oh yeah. It's the only copy I've seen at the few shows I've attended in the last year and a half or that any dealers I talked to knew about. So I decided I might as well get it.

I still have to pay for a board purchase today though! Must sell more books!

I would never go to the convention in Long Beach. it is much further, and as I recall the area was very seedy. not someplace I would want to carry several K worth of books.

I liked it in Long Beach. It was right across the street from a brand new mall, and a short walk to the waterfront.

Oh, I saw 5 different mid-grade IRON MAN/SUBBY'S there and I did not buy a single one - a new record for me!

They all were nice but if I can't get 9.0 or higher I pass these days - other worlds to conquer...

CAL the Conquistador...

:think: The virtue of self-control--nice.

I just paid the 12 for parking for the Convenience and just packed a lunch from home to save the extra cash, plus always sell the exclusive WW comic on ebay to make my money back on the ticket anyway.

Last year I made over a 150.00 from just selling both Captain Amerca 25 WW LA variant after I got them on-site CGC graded.