• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The single most Valuable CGC graded comicbook ?

198 posts in this topic

I'm sure the reason given was that the owner didn't want the risk of mailing the book to CGC, and was local to PGX

as beyonder says this issue was discussed recently on this forum, but I also can't remember which thread. I was VERY sceptical at the time about this books existence, but some forum members have seen scans, and confirm it.

although it's not cgc graded, what about the pgx graded action 1 9.0

given the scrutiny this particular book would come under if it was publicly available, I would guess that PGX didn't 'gift grade' this one.

perhaps people who have seen the scans can comment.

Why would anyone that owns one of the most valuable books send it to PGX?

This was discussed recently. Not sure which thread it was though.....

Action #1 PGX 9.0 link.

I think the AA 16 is more valuable than the Action 1 8.5, partly because we know it isn't the best copy there is.

That AA 16 is just simply stunning.

Isn't there a Detective 27 of high caliber out there that is more valuable that the Action 1 8.5 with rusty staples?

THE POST IS ABOUT THE HIGHEST GRADED CGC COMICBOOK// NOT THE OVERALL MOST VALUABLE[NON GRADED] COMICBOOK LIKE YOU ARE SUGGESTING WITH THE ALLENTOWN DETECTIVE 27, WHICH YES IS A 9.4/9.6

I wasnt sure wether there was a high grade copy of that book graded.

I'm sure the reason given was that the owner didn't want the risk of mailing the book to CGC, and was local to PGX

as beyonder says this issue was discussed recently on this forum, but I also can't remember which thread. I was VERY sceptical at the time about this books existence, but some forum members have seen scans, and confirm it.

Of course. If I owned a book with a potential worth of up to one million dollars, I certainly wouldn't waste $300 for a plane ticket to Florida. Hell no! Just submit it to my local PGX dealer.

Right.

Action1kid, in the same vein as you are denigrating (not mailciously, I know) the 8.5 copy, one could talk about your (used-to-be-a) 5.5 copy and attach a stigma to it too. I know rusty staples are serious business to many collectors, but I dont see it killing the value of this particular book to the extents you claim.

and, how would you feel if every time you mentined your 76.5 someone popped up and said "Your 5.5 you mean") ? and NO Its not y books Im defending here, just pointing out an overrreaction and possibly a bit of a double standard.

im just saying its not the most valuable comicbook..Im not saying its killing its value.It hurts it but does not KILL the value.It simply does enough to it not to make it the most valuable comicbook but still near the top.im not concerned about the 5.5 to 6.5 issue because when you see it in person you will say it is a 6.5.There is no question about it.Thats why I bought it as a 6.5..Im not a fool.I would not pay 6.5 money for a 5.5 book back in 2003. I dont feel im picking on a book when alot of people here agree with me with few exceptions about the rusted staples.

So in my opinion ONLY I dont think a book[any book] with rusted staples should be of the same value as a book with clean origanal staples.I dont think it KILLS its value but I think it affects its value considerbly.I think this is common sence in my mind. I dont think im picking on a book when I say it because alot of people agree]

maybe I should specifically say that in my opinion only I think the AA16 is more valuable than the 8.5 Action 1 because of the rusted staples....if there are people here who agree than maybe that staement has some merit to it and its not a matter of picking on a book.....

Aman, I didnt quite know how to make this post sound sorta confrontational but thats not my intent if it feels that way. your actually one of my favorite posters and I AINT tryin to patronize you ok.....Your an A-OK with hard hitting questions

Action1kid, in the same vein as you are denigrating (not mailciously, I know) the 8.5 copy, one could talk about your (used-to-be-a) 5.5 copy and attach a stigma to it too. I know rusty staples are serious business to many collectors, but I dont see it killing the value of this particular book to the extents you claim.

and, how would you feel if every time you mentined your 76.5 someone popped up and said "Your 5.5 you mean") ? and NO Its not y books Im defending here, just pointing out an overrreaction and possibly a bit of a double standard.

im just saying its not the most valuable comicbook..Im not saying its killing its value.It hurts it but does not KILL the value.It simply does enough to it not to make it the most valuable comicbook but still near the top.im not concerned about the 5.5 to 6.5 issue because when you see it in person you will say it is a 6.5.There is no question about it.Thats why I bought it as a 6.5..Im not a fool.I would not pay 6.5 money for a 5.5 book back in 2003. I dont feel im picking on a book when alot of people here agree with me with few exceptions about the rusted staples.

So in my opinion ONLY I dont think a book[any book] with rusted staples should be of the same value as a book with clean origanal staples.I dont think it KILLS its value but I think it affects its value considerbly.I think this is common sence in my mind. I dont think im picking on a book when I say it because alot of people agree]

maybe I should specifically say that in my opinion only I think the AA16 is more valuable than the 8.5 Action 1 because of the rusted staples....if there are people here who agree than maybe that staement has some merit to it and its not a matter of picking on a book.....

Aman, I didnt quite know how to make this post sound sorta confrontational but thats not my intent if it feels that way. your actually one of my favorite posters and I AINT tryin to patronize you ok.....Your an A-OK with hard hitting questions

Hey Peter.....pretend for a moment that you do not own the Action 6.5 ( if you can ). Would you prefer the 6.5 no notes or the 8.5 with rusty staples notes? - keeping $$ out of it ( yeah, like that's easy to do! ).....or if they were priced the same (even though they wouldn't be)

Hey Peter.....pretend for a moment that you do not own the Action 6.5 ( if you can ). Would you prefer the 6.5 no notes or the 8.5 with rusty staples notes? - keeping $$ out of it ( yeah, like that's easy to do! ).....or if they were priced the same (even though they wouldn't be)

its no secret that I collect unrestored books with no notes.so there is the answer.

ILL still stick to my guns by saying how does a book with rusted staples get a V.F Plus designation?...That is why I know this is not the most valuable cgc comicbook...

You've always made too much of the "rusty staples" designation. Setting aside whether the staples are rusty are not, the only reason they are designated on the label by CGC is because CGC used to put that kind of information on labels at the time it slabbed the 8.5 Action 1. If the book were slabbed for the first time now, I don't think the label would say anything about rusty staples, and no one would be the wiser. Therefore I don't think the rusty staples designation matters that much because the book is one reslab away from having a clean label.

although it's not cgc graded, what about the pgx graded action 1 9.0

given the scrutiny this particular book would come under if it was publicly available, I would guess that PGX didn't 'gift grade' this one.

perhaps people who have seen the scans can comment.

No way is that A 1 a 9.0

but you rock anyway!

great post! (thumbs u

The Mile High AA #16 would sell for fractionally more than the Action #1 8.5 put up in simultaneous auctions in their current slabbed prisons. I have no vested interest in either character but if I had the chance at the nicest book in existence by a huge margin that was a Mile High, or one of the nicest copies of a book that has a staple issue that I would live in fear everyday thinking that the rust keeps migrating, it's no question, the AA#16.

As an aside, we as a hobby have to honestly evaluate the conservation vs. restoration issue for a book like this. To preserve this book for future generations the staples should be replaced. The life of this book is more important in the scheme of things than whether it's in a blue or green label! And we as as hobby shouldn't punish the value of the book.

Jim

okay, Im sorry if I sounded harsh. MY opinion (and its not a law of the universe either!) is that too many people take too much issue with the rusty staple. And, that the 8.5 grade has taken it into consideration already. It may have gotten a 9.0 or 9.2 without it, so the book itself is pretty sweet from that viewpoint. So sweet that, like a team thats got a big lead in the 4th quarter and tries to coast to victory just might get beaten at the buzzer by an undergdog team chasing them. Meaning that if the mythical Church copy turns out to be a very very nice 9.2 or even a still really sweet 9.0 --- that some people who can ignore the rusty staple just might call it a tossup for best copy in the universe.

But I have no problem with you either, just frustrated to see the 8.5 copy get "trashed" around here when if we owned it we'd be perfectly happy with it, rusty staple and all. CGC still gave it an 8.5 and they dont like rust either.

I should have sent it as a PM... but I was already typing away and just hit send.

ILL still stick to my guns by saying how does a book with rusted staples get a V.F Plus designation?...That is why I know this is not the most valuable cgc comicbook...

You've always made too much of the "rusty staples" designation. Setting aside whether the staples are rusty are not, the only reason they are designated on the label by CGC is because CGC used to put that kind of information on labels at the time it slabbed the 8.5 Action 1. If the book were slabbed for the first time now, I don't think the label would say anything about rusty staples, and no one would be the wiser. Therefore I don't think the rusty staples designation matters that much because the book is one reslab away from having a clean label.

great post back atcha!

okay, Im sorry if I sounded harsh. MY opinion (and its not a law of the universe either!) is that too many people take too much issue with the rusty staple. And, that the 8.5 grade has taken it into consideration already. It may have gotten a 9.0 or 9.2 without it, so the book itself is pretty sweet from that viewpoint. So sweet that, like a team thats got a big lead in the 4th quarter and tries to coast to victory just might get beaten at the buzzer by an undergdog team chasing them. Meaning that if the mythical Church copy turns out to be a very very nice 9.2 or even a still really sweet 9.0 --- that some people who can ignore the rusty staple just might call it a tossup for best copy in the universe.

But I have no problem with you either, just frustrated to see the 8.5 copy get "trashed" around here when if we owned it we'd be perfectly happy with it, rusty staple and all. CGC still gave it an 8.5 and they dont like rust either.

I should have sent it as a PM... but I was already typing away and just hit send.

thanks Aman,but the conversation is more interesting when we dont agree isnt it.??

How about a democratic approach...what does the board think is the more valuable book.the 8.5 action 1 or the M.H AA16

im picking the AA16[ Yeah,cause of the staples on the action 1]