• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not bad for a dollar

18 posts in this topic

I picked this up at the local flee market for $1.

It was in one of those comic long boxes and all books were a buck. I picked up a few other worthless books just for reading. Some old What Ifs a couple DC Vertigo issues and this because it was signed by John Byrne. Its a buck what the hell.

MVC-023S-17.jpg

Without this sticker I don't think I would have noticed.

MVC-024S-16.jpg

After reading the books I wanted to read I page thru the John Byrne signed giveaway and while I bet a few of you here suspect what happens next it came as a total suprise to me.

MVC-025S-16.jpg

MVC-026S-15.jpg

MVC-027S-15.jpg

MVC-028S-18.jpg

MVC-029S-15.jpg

I only recognize a few names but I've always been a fan of Sergio and the Groo sketch alone made my day.

So if you ever see a convention mag in the dollar bin at your local comic store or the flee market (like I did) be sure to check for signatures or if you are lucky some sketches. If this book wasn't signed on the cover I would never have bothered to pick it up. There was more than 1 convention comic in the box. Who knows what I passed up. Yeah it lacks that power of a silver age superhero cover but needless to say I was happy with my purchase!

That's awesome! (worship):applause:

You can probably figure out who participated in the JAM page by comparing some sigs with the artist and special guest lists. Looks like some great people. I think I see Roger Stern's sig there as well as Joe Jusko. Hard to make out the others, but that might be a fun bit of detective work. :grin:

There's an extremely well spent buck! Wow! :banana:

I've been trying to figure these out. The book and input from you guys has helped alot.

Page 1 has 11 sigs Page 2 has 9 sigs & One sig/drawing is on both pages

Page 1

MVC-002S-29.jpg

MVC-003S-31.jpg

MVC-004S-30.jpg

These ones I am pretty sure on.

Joe Jusko

Gene Gonzales with waving man sketch

Eddy Newell with peace sign

Roger Stern with Superman logo

Martin Egeland

Bob Ingersoll

Wayne A Wong w pencil sketch

These ones I am not.

The upside down character has 3 signatures near it which I don't know for sure. Looking at the guest list they could be

Matt Webb?

Gary (Cody)?

Joe Edkin?

The signature in gold "Taylor Made" I have no idea

Page 2

MVC-005S-31.jpg

MVC-006S-30.jpg

MVC-008S-31.jpg

For this page I am pretty sure on only a few

Kevin Rasel

Dennis Cramer

Sergio Aragones with Groo sketch

Bob Kraus w Chakan sketch

Bernie Wrightson gold B?

Everette Hartsoe gold signature

I am not sure about these

the drawing/sig left of Groo

the stick figure drawing/sig above Groo.

the blue pen pixie character/sig

Then we have the drawing/sig in the middle. I have no idea what that says.

MVC-007S-28.jpg

Taylor might be Kevin Taylor.He used to do some of the '90's "bad girl" art. Seeing that it's in gold and London Night Studios Everett Hartsoe's is also,they may have been sitting together.

That's what I thought when I saw the "Taylor Made" but never saw him sign his sig like that. I have some stuff from him done in the early 90s. He was very talented and did the "Model By Day" stories that were turned into a network TV movie (or cable channel movie). Anyway, the movie didn't really pan out to a lot but it was exciting for a while because there was speculation that it could end up as a big hit. He was a stable mate of Greg "Dark One" Williams (Animal Mystic) and Joe Linsner (Cry For Dawn) and did work for Sirius and some other indy publishers.

Most of Kevin J. Taylor's work was not "bad girl" -- it was extremely adult hard core stuff that combined graphic sexual content and some occult themes (eg, "The Girl"). But his style was so over the top it was very entertaining (to me anyway). Though not for the faint of heart....

True KJT story: I was at a convention in 1993 (it was either Dallas Fantasy Fair or Philly ComicFest) and Kevin was there. I asked him to do a couple of sketches in hardbound sketchbooks -- one was for me and one for my wife (yes she had read his stuff and liked it). Well, for my wife's sketchbook he drew a great image of The Girl with a demon behind her and a very, very large, um, appendage.

However, I may not have told him it was for me and my wife. He must've thought he was drawing it in a guy's sketchbook because once he finished, and saw the name "Beth" on the book, he came to me with a very worried look on his face.

"Um... has Beth ever read any of my books?" he asked.

I replied "Oh yeah, she thought The Girl was great!"

The look of relief hit as color came back to his face. "Oh man, that's great, I got a little worried after I drew this and then saw it was her book." He showed me the graphic sketch.

We had a good laugh over that. lol

Taylor might be Kevin Taylor.He used to do some of the '90's "bad girl" art. Seeing that it's in gold and London Night Studios Everett Hartsoe's is also,they may have been sitting together.

That's what I thought when I saw the "Taylor Made" but never saw him sign his sig like that. I have some stuff from him done in the early 90s. He was very talented and did the "Model By Day" stories that were turned into a network TV movie (or cable channel movie). Anyway, the movie didn't really pan out to a lot but it was exciting for a while because there was speculation that it could end up as a big hit. He was a stable mate of Greg "Dark One" Williams (Animal Mystic) and Joe Linsner (Cry For Dawn) and did work for Sirius and some other indy publishers.

Most of Kevin J. Taylor's work was not "bad girl" -- it was extremely adult hard core stuff that combined graphic sexual content and some occult themes (eg, "The Girl"). But his style was so over the top it was very entertaining (to me anyway). Though not for the faint of heart....

True KJT story: I was at a convention in 1993 (it was either Dallas Fantasy Fair or Philly ComicFest) and Kevin was there. I asked him to do a couple of sketches in hardbound sketchbooks -- one was for me and one for my wife (yes she had read his stuff and liked it). Well, for my wife's sketchbook he drew a great image of The Girl with a demon behind her and a very, very large, um, appendage.

However, I may not have told him it was for me and my wife. He must've thought he was drawing it in a guy's sketchbook because once he finished, and saw the name "Beth" on the book, he came to me with a very worried look on his face.

"Um... has Beth ever read any of my books?" he asked.

I replied "Oh yeah, she thought The Girl was great!"

The look of relief hit as color came back to his face. "Oh man, that's great, I got a little worried after I drew this and then saw it was her book." He showed me the graphic sketch.

We had a good laugh over that. lol

Cool story! I'm sure if you met him today he would remember that one! I met him in '97 I believe at the Sirius Comics open house along with Joe Linsner and Brom. We had a great time and everybody was very cool!

It pays to open the book.

I have my only Alan Moore autograph from a discount bin comic book

Best,

that was me I signed around 100 copies and left them in quarter boxes across the country :P