• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

50 Rarest GA Books - CBM Survey (1993)

122 posts in this topic

At the end of the CBM article, there was also this:

Other rare comic books just outside the Top 50 are:

Detective Comics #4 11-20 copies

Flash Gordon #5 30-40 copies

New Fun #3 Between 11 and 45 copies

New Fun #4 Between 21 and 50 copies

More Fun #s 11, 15, 22 and 23 Between 11 and 50 copies

New Comics #'s 3, 6, 11, and New Adventure Comics #'s 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 22 and 23 11-20 copies

Captain Marvel Thrill Book 25 copies

New Book of Comics #2 35 copies

New Book of Comics #1 42 copies

Jumbo Comics #1, Century of Comics, and Wow Comics #4 40 copies

Famous Funnies (Carnival of Comics), Jumbo Comics #7, and New Comics #1 50 copies

All American Comics #16 50-60 copies

All the above information is at best mostly speculation based on observation by myself [Duncan McAlpine] and informed guesses by a number of top American dealers, all of whom I credit and thank for their participation. No doubt when more information becomes available, positions in the Top 50 will alter...

Those who kindly took part in this experiment included Stephen Fishler, Sean Linkenback, Gary M. Carter, James Payette, Jon Warren, and Mark Wilson with reference to the estimated copies as stated in Bob Overstreet's Comic Book Price Guide No. 21 and also with reference to the relative scarcity system as used by Ernie Gerber in his stunning Photo Journal. Special thanks to Stephen Fishler for providing the most information. Further research will be carried out as this article is destined for the 4th UK Comic Book Price Guide by Duncan McAlpine sometime this year [1992]. Any information/corrections concerning rarity and numbers of issues will be gratefully received and duly acknowledged. My best, Duncan.

I got 2 books from the top 50

4) Is This Tomorrow? (1947)--2

34) All New #15 (1947)--9 or 10

and 1 in out side top 50

Captain Marvel Thrill Book 25 copies

I suspect the Is This Tomorrow # is WAYYYY off ...I have a copy and I know of at least 5 others that do too (shrug)

2) Blood is the Harvest (1950)--1

17) Blood is the Harvest (1950)--5

32) Blood is the Harvet (1950)--13

(shrug)

:doh: I really should have a scanner and then this would've been much easier, but here's the descriptions of the three:

2) This was issued by the Cathetical Guild as less than a comic and more of an illustrated pamphlet against Communism. It is known in three forms and this is the black and white un-trimmed version.

17) The black and white version of the original colour issue. One of these has surfaced in un-trimmed condition (re: #2).

32) This is the original educational pamphlet. A black and white version became available (#17) and an untrimmed version as well (#2).

I have a few of these:

If the Devil Would Talk - I have 1 copy of the 1950 color version, which I think is the #45 on this list. I also have 2 copies of the 1958 color version which is still a scarce book.

Blood Is the Harvest - I have two copies of the color version which I think is #32 on their list.

Danger Trail #3 - have one copy

An updated list would be nice, though I'd definitely prefer to see the ashcans separated out.

Some may argue it's apples and oranges, but I just don't see most collectors classifying them together with 'regular' books.

An updated list would be nice, though I'd definitely prefer to see the ashcans separated out.

Some may argue it's apples and oranges, but I just don't see most collectors classifying them together with 'regular' books.

Agreed. I find this list to be fairly useless because it`s filled with ashcans and other books that were never mass produced. It`s not such a big deal for a book to be scarce when it was scarce from the day it was published.

I'm curious to see what the 9.0 sells for...

Hopefully over $100k. (thumbs u

The last similar sale that I could find was 2005, CGC 9.2 sold for $68,000. If this 9.0 book was encapsulated, maybe it would have a shot of getting there. But I believe it is being sold raw, so 100K may be a stretch. (shrug)